Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2014 xt Touring
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have replaced both front control arms at 66k. No issues until replacing the pinch bolts on the back of the hub. I cannot get the bolt started on either side. I have even purchased new bolts from Subaru. Any suggestions.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
493 Posts
Do you mean the pinch bolts for the Ball Joints? It could be that rust is causing some binding on the threads.
Try using a Stainless steel tube brush, clean out with Brake Parts cleaner, then a good Copper anti seize.
If you have the right tap, you can clean the threads this way also. Be careful not to break the tap. (2 turns fwd, 1 turn back). Re: Ball Joint/Knuckle pinch bolt torque is only around 33 ft./lbs.
You can get all of the above tools from:
www.McMaster.com

·
Registered
2014 xt Touring
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought new bolts from Subaru, still could not get the bolts threaded. Ended up taking the Forester to local place specializing in Subaru's. They explained that aftermarket control arms are sometimes weld rejects and the ball joints may be a few thousands off. They did not charge me and had me in and out in a half hour. I used Mevotech control arms. I highly recommend Auto Science in Lewisville, if you are in the Dallas area.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts