Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Touring CVT
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you think the 2014 Forester, with cvt, is a 200k car? I do not currently own a Subaru but want one bad. I like the manual transmission, but my wife insists on an automatic. We started our marriage with a Subaru and 31-years later we are interested in the Forester. I have a Civic with 205,000 and a S-10 with 208,000. When I find what I like, I tend to keep it. Sorry for the long post, but I am concerned about the cvt, and the cost of ownership!

·
Premium Member
'19 Forester LTD CVT
3,248 Posts
CVTs are actually mechanically simpler than most modern transmissions. There also has been 20-30 years of evolution for CVTs from when they first came out.

The long term reliability is unknown, but the outbacks and legacys have had CVTs since 2010 and there weren't too many problems that weren't quickly solved and several have made it 100,000+ with no problems. However that is a small sample size and mostly cars that have highway miles.

So, who knows?!

·
Banned
2013 2.5x auto
268 Posts
I think Subaru is one of the few brands that builds 300k cars still. I believe the forester will make it as long as you keep the oil in check haha.
Personally I bought a 13 forester over the 14 because history repeats it's self and the first model is the test year. I am very happy with my 13 with 4 speed trans. The cvt will be better for hills and concerned mpg's

You won't be un happy with a Subaru

·
Registered
2014 Foz Ltd CVT
310 Posts
I expect our '14 to do 200,000 miles.
I agree with the poster above me about not buying the first year of a remodel, but since the '14 came out 7 months ago, buying one now is like getting the 2nd model year.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5 Touring CVT
174 Posts
I'm waiting delivery on a new 2014 Forester. My current car is a 2006 Honda Civic hybrid. It has a CVT and now has 204,000 miles and is still performing well. I plan on keeping it for running back and forth to work so I don't end up putting on miles too quickly on the Forester.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 5 of 5 Posts