Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT manual
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I'm considering a very clean, 1 owner 2014 Subaru Forester XT Touring with 75,000 miles on it.

I'm wondering about the CVT transmission (and, any other suggested concerns).

Would you consider an extended warranty?

Any advice/warnings will be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks for looking.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
13,414 Posts
A 6 year old car with 75K miles is always a risk. Especially an XT. Its not been driven by an old lady...except my wife's '18 XT....sh is 73 lol and she drives like an 85 year old. Every couple weeks I take it out and redline it.

·
Registered
2016 XT Premium
212 Posts
3rd party extended warranties are a mixed bag, lots of them are scams, so do tons of research before purchasing one.

The CVT in the XT can go past 150k without touching it, but it can also develop issues like almost any modern transmission. Full replacement cost is steeeep, but pulling a used unit from a junkyard is good alternative. Needing a valve body replacement is possible, costs around $1500, but it is a fairly rare issue. Changing the CVT fluid is a hotly debated service item, you can search the forum if you want to wade into that.

If you can get a good price on that 2014 I would go for it. I have 48k on my 2016 and plan to keep it to 150k. CVT is always a bit of a liability in my mind but no cars are this fun and perfect these days

1 - 3 of 3 Posts