Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.0XT CVT
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My answer is yes. I've driven a lot of a lot of Mercedes Benz 350 GLK's as rental cars in my business travel. Prior to getting my FXT, I always considered it one of the best compact SUV's to drive. I seriously looked at getting one a month before I started to look at the Forester. After figuring I could not afford a new one, I looked at used ones, but they were still pretty pricy. I dropped the search after I determined I didn't want to spend the extra money for a 3 pointed star status (I keep thinking about my not so good experience with a 07 Acura RDX I owned, it was a gas hog).

After my first week in my new FXT, I would have to say that the handling, performance, and build quality is every bit as good or better than all the GLK's I've driven.

Even the styling of the new Forester is similar to the GLK, although both are built for function over style. Today I parked next to a GLK and my Forester looked pretty nice compared to it.

The FXT is about 3" longer, 1" higher (due to 1" more ground clearance) and 3" narrower.

How they stack up:

Open cargo space, FXT 68.5 cf, GLK 54.7 cf

Engine, FXT 2.0 4 cyl turbo boxer, GLK 3.5 V-6

HP, FXT 250, GLK 305

0-60, FXT 6.1 sec, GLK 5.7 sec

1/4 mile, FXT 14.5 sec, GLK 14.4 sec

MPG, FXT 23/28, GLK 19/24

MSRP, FXT (Premium) $28,820 GLK $40,405 ($2k added for AWD)

So for $12,000 less and the better fuel milage, the FXT was a much smarter buy for me than the GLK. And I think I got same build and ride quality as the MB. I also got to believe that I will also save a bundle over the MB on long term maintenance.

I would also add the Subaru has more stars in its logo.

·
Premium Member
2014 2.0 XT yes
2,752 Posts
The GLK (and X3) were on my short list until I priced out the configuration I wanted. They really get you on the options.

I could have added a Honda Fit as an accessory to the Forester and still come out ahead.

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT CVT
139 Posts
Haha. Glad you like your new XT. But the GLK is a different class of vehicle. Some will pay big bucks for that luxury.

·
Registered
2018 Forester Touring XT 6 speed
68 Posts
Awesome comparison… Thank you for sharing. For what it is worth I think that the FXT looks better.

·
Premium Member
'21 ISM Crosstrek Limited
1,177 Posts
When I had my '09 Legacy 3.0R Limited we stayed at a nice B&B where the owner had just bought a new '09 Mercedes awd sedan. We talked and he was a lifelong Subaru owner that had decided to sample luxury.

Point here is, side-by-side his Merc was virtually the same car, although I preferred my Subaru. The interior was, if anything, more Spartan, but otherwise looked the same in function and detail.

Driving my '14 FXT I notice other SUV/CUV vehicles, and have determined the Mercedes variant, while nice, offers nothing I'd trade my FXT for.

So, without casting asparagus anywhere, "luxury" and price are not necessarily synonymous anymore. Subaru holds its own in any relevant comparison. In fact, my introduction to Subaru in the 1980's was when a co-worker showed me his new Subaru, and called it the "Japanese Mercedes." Then when I got my own '91 Legacy wagon I understood, it was incredibly built, detailed, and optioned.

Linked to before, this article still provides perspective:

Are Subarus the best cars money can buy? - Fortune Management

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
12,780 Posts
Awesome comparison… Thank you for sharing. For what it is worth I think that the FXT looks better.
x2

It is funny how some people call the Forester "boxy"... compared to the CRV, Rav4, etc. I can see that, but when compared to the Mercedes, the FXT looks very sleek.

Not to mention the back end of the Mercedes looks very old and outdated.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
88 Posts
I don't think that GLK will be around all that long. The GLA (crossover based on CLA) is on the horizon and that looks pretty wicked.

·
Registered
NA XT ('14 XT on order) NA
34 Posts
That 0-60 time looks way off; mfr claim is 6.5 and no one but C&D (isn't this usually the case) has logged a time anywhere near 5.8. I had no issue dispensing a GLK350 off the line this morning ;)

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,432 Posts
That 0-60 time looks way off; mfr claim is 6.5 and no one but C&D (isn't this usually the case) has logged a time anywhere near 5.8. I had no issue dispensing a GLK350 off the line this morning ;)
Maybe he wasn't racing.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.0XT CVT
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My times came from a road test web site that had numbers for both the FXL and GLK.

·
Premium Member
2014 2.0 XT yes
2,752 Posts
Note at the price point being discussed, the luxury you get to bask in includes vinyl seats, a base stereo, no moon roof (some here would jump all over that), halogen headlights, and your choice of black or white paint.

The stripper models can be very nice, and a good buy, but they aren't luxurious by any stretch -- depending of course how much badge cachet matters to you.

·
Registered
2003 forester 2.0 xt at
698 Posts
Sweet! Thats a bargain!
A new fxt here cost 664.000 nok (112.000$)
They are really good looking tho! If i win the lotteri... I will get one.
But for know, the 04 is hangin in there

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.0XT CVT
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sweet! Thats a bargain!
They are really good looking tho! If i win the lotteri... I will get one.
But for know, the 04 is hangin in there
I know someone in the UK and they told me prices on Subaru's in Europe are outrageous.

·
Registered
2010 Forester Active 2.0X MT 2x5 - MT with Dual Range reduction
1,236 Posts
:icon_eek: :icon_eek: :icon_eek: :confused:

Subaru Germany offers two turbo Foresters with the 2.0 turbo engine, 240hp:

2.0XT Comfort, 39 900 € = 322 068 nok = 54 598 $, today's rate
2.0XT Platinum, 43 000 € = 347 090 nok = 58 840 $, today's rate

Do you have some special taxes in Norway, if you buy a new car?:confused:

·
Registered
2003 forester 2.0 xt at
698 Posts
Hehe yes, special taxes is the word. They dont want us to waste co2 :) cars like tesla or nissan leaf, are "cheap" here.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.0XT CVT
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
:icon_eek: :icon_eek: :icon_eek: :confused:

Subaru Germany offers two turbo Foresters with the 2.0 turbo engine, 240hp:

2.0XT Comfort, 39 900 € = 322 068 nok = 54 598 $, today's rate
2.0XT Platinum, 43 000 € = 347 090 nok = 58 840 $, today's rate

Do you have some special taxes in Norway, if you buy a new car?:confused:
With these prices, I feel like I got a deal with $27,000 on my 2.0XT Premium.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts