Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Subaru CVT
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I am new to this forum. I purchased a 2014 Forester Premium CVT about a month ago and overall have been very happy with it.

There is one issue that I was hoping to get some feedback on. In the morning, usually, I get a vibration/rattle coming from the direction of the glove compartment when I hit the gas peda/accelerate. The weird thing is it generally goes away after driving for a few minutes.

Again this usually happens in the morning and when I hit the gas pedal. It sounds more like a vibration then a rattle. Is this normal or has anyone else experienced this? Is this vibration from the engine?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2012 Diesel XSN Manual
63 Posts
If it's coming from top of dash most likely Multi Function Display rattle. Mine depended on temperature and has now been fixed by dealer.

·
Registered
2014 Subaru CVT
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
If it's coming from top of dash most likely Multi Function Display rattle. Mine depended on temperature and has now been fixed by dealer.
Thanks. What did they do to fix it? It doesn't seem to be coming from the direction of the MFD but I will try to isolate it to that.

I just called the service department where I bought the car and they said this sound is normal - it is the engine ciculating the exhaust (there is a valve involved) and once it warms up the noise goes away. Does that make sense?

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
286 Posts
I have an intermittent dash rattle. If I put some pressure to the right of the dash console (speedo) with my hand it stops. Would really like to figure out how to fix it. Let us know what they did if you know.

Thx

·
Registered
2012 Diesel XSN Manual
63 Posts
The centre console has to be taken apart so HVAC controller , radio or sat nav needs to come out. Then you can finally get to the MFD. The top moulding has to be taped with 3M anti-squeak tape. Then a small amount of foam to pack it out. Dealership took 3 hours including a good road test. The car is now back to normal. Initially I had rattles around sunroof deflector and instrument pack but I sorted them with Carboflow.

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
286 Posts
The centre console has to be taken apart so HVAC controller , radio or sat nav needs to come out. Then you can finally get to the MFD. The top moulding has to be taped with 3M anti-squeak tape. Then a small amount of foam to pack it out. Dealership took 3 hours including a good road test. The car is now back to normal. Initially I had rattles around sunroof deflector and instrument pack but I sorted them with Carboflow.
Ugh.....that sounds like quite a process.....thx for the info.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
109 Posts
Ooo...I wonder if this is the source of the noise that I've been hearing from the center of my dash. It seems much worse when it is cold, but I still hear it even when it's warm; it just isn't as common or intense.

I'm taking my Forester in Thursday to have the dealer install the navigation update. They are also going to try and track down my dashboard noise then. I just hope it doesn't go silent when the tech is searching for the source of the noise.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
178 Posts
I need to take my car in for this. Area around my MFD is rattling like crazy on every day type of roads with slight imperfections and bumps. Noticed it around 4500 miles, now worse at 6700 miles.

What do you mean by top moulding? You mean the hard plastic around/above the MFD? If the dealership gives me some brush off answer about my dashboard rattle, I'm most likely going to have to do it myself.

·
Registered
2012 Diesel XSN Manual
63 Posts
The top moulding is the outer shield for the display basically to stop sunlight and reflections on your windscreen and MFD. I have worked in automotive for a long time and many of them in interiors. When you drive car and either push down slightly on the moulding or push up on it at the front by clear plastic lens; the noise will stop if its the MFD rattle. If not confident just get a passenger to play around and you concentrate and listen. After seeing the part it is a little flimsy and the ribbing could be a little more robust. The car has now been in the sun some months and now the cold so tolerances have opened up during that cycle. In respect to Subaru and manufacturers in general the dash is often covered over with a heavy sheet whilst testing. This stops everyone taking photos and competition from early glimpses; but unfortunately stops the development cycle in real world conditions. The plastics and mouldings are heat and cold tested but often until you put the complete assembly in the car and drive it many miles you never know. I am sure we will have some more of this and just reading some of the stories on bubbles on dash makes me think. Subaru may have a new supplier or a modified moulding technique most likely for cost reduction and weight saving. I simply put a window cleaning sponge of similar size in front of the display and it took the gap up and the noise went. If you take to dealer and demonstrate the noise and solution it should be fixed with no issues. Normally dealers only have issues if you are vague and cannot pinpoint area and not really sure when it happens. It is always better to get it sorted sooner rather than later they rarely get better, bit like tooth ache. Mine also started after circa 4k miles and after being in the direct sun for sometime etc. Good luck just be positive with service manager and explain professionally in as much detail as possible. Thanks to this very informative and real time forum I sorted sunroof deflector rattle and instrument pack rattle myself saving my time and dealer visits. There are some very knowledgeable people on this forum and with this pooling there isn't much that cannot be resolved on the car in time.

·
Registered
2014 Subaru CVT
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the detailed info. So I started my car, let it warm-up for a good 6-8 minutes and then drove off and did not hear the vibration. So I am going to say that the advice from the Service dept was correct for now.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Just thought I'd provide an update to the hunt in order to find and silence the dash rattle in my 2014 XT.

I took my Forester to my dealer last week to have them try and silence the annoying dash rattle that seems to be coming from around the area of the MFD in the center of the dash. I explained to the tech where I thought the noise was coming from and had him go for a ride with me so he could hear it for himself. They had the car the entire day and applied foam tape to a number of locations and took my car for a number of test drives. On my way home that evening the rattle came back with a vengeance. Whatever they did actually seemed to have made the rattle louder.

I dropped the car off again this week and they took another go at it. This time they didn't feel they had silenced the rattle after the first day so they kept the car for another day. They had given me a 2014 6-speed as a loaner car. I laughed when I noticed that this car had the same rattle that mine had. I'm starting to wonder if there is a design or assembly flaw in the 2014 Forester dash.

I got a call today from the dealer saying that they had silenced the rattle. It was the MFD display assembly and how it was contacting the interior mounts in the dash. They had to disassemble a fair bit to get to where they could silence the rattle. Unfortunately, I don't have my car back yet because while the car was there someone hit the car and damaged the rear bumper. So now the dealer is going to keep the car until Monday so they can replace the scuffed and damaged plastic bumper cover. Oh well, you win some and you lose some. :shrug: I'm sure it will all work out well in the end.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i Base CVT
19 Posts
Well, at least they are replacing the bumper and finally located the source of the problem. I haven't noticed any rattle sound yet.. might need to pay closer attention now..

G

·
This rattle/noise must be quite common. I've had my 2014 Forester for just a few
hundred miles and have noticed that rattle/noise mentioned in this forum. Thanks
to everyone who took the time to explain.....

·
Registered
109 Posts
Rattle battle update

Well, I got my car back from the dealer and have been driving it this week to determine if they were finally able to silence the rattle from my dash area.

At first it seemed as though they had silenced the rattle, but then it came back with a vengeance seemingly louder than before. Thinking that perhaps I was being too sensitive to the noise, I took a friend of mine on a drive. I asked her if she heard anything odd coming from the dash. She said that she could hear a rattle and just had not said anything thinking it would be rude.

I recorded a snippet of audio (296kB mp3) using my phone placed on the dash. I sent this audio file off to my dealer and they got straight back to me letting me know they will keep trying until they can finally silence it. They've contacted Subaru to get some additional help with this issue. I'll be taking my car back in next week to give them another shot.

I'm sure they'll eventually get the rattle silenced, but this whole process makes me me wonder how professionals do this in high end cars purchased by very discriminating customers. Certainly there must be better methods out there than just taking things apart to add foam tape to the surfaces and then doing a test drive to see if that spot fixed the noise.

·
Registered
2014 Forester Limited CVT
252 Posts
I'm sure they'll eventually get the rattle silenced, but this whole process makes me me wonder how professionals do this in high end cars purchased by very discriminating customers. Certainly there must be better methods out there than just taking things apart to add foam tape to the surfaces and then doing a test drive to see if that spot fixed the noise.
Funny you mention this... My summertime funtime sports car is a somewhat higher end German car. It is 18 years old, and doesn't make a peep of a rattle in any way. Hate to say but some of the higher end cars are more pricey because they are extremely well built and over engineered in many cases. The car I am referring to is 18 years old, has 93,000 miles on it and my 4 month old Forester has a few squeaks and rattles here and there, my sports car does not have ANY.

Nick

·
Registered
2018 Premium M6
348 Posts
Well, I got my car back from the dealer and have been driving it this week to determine if they were finally able to silence the rattle from my dash area.

At first it seemed as though they had silenced the rattle, but then it came back with a vengeance seemingly louder than before. Thinking that perhaps I was being too sensitive to the noise, I took a friend of mine on a drive. I asked her if she heard anything odd coming from the dash. She said that she could hear a rattle and just had not said anything thinking it would be rude.

I recorded a snippet of audio (296kB mp3) using my phone placed on the dash. I sent this audio file off to my dealer and they got straight back to me letting me know they will keep trying until they can finally silence it. They've contacted Subaru to get some additional help with this issue. I'll be taking my car back in next week to give them another shot.

Mine goes back in on the 6th of January. It has a loud and annoying vibey rattle coming from the defroster grille/duct area. When you push your fingers in thru the grille you can feel the whole defroster duct vibrating and shifting around.

Mine is an m6 and the engine vibes telegraph through the frame and cause this thing to rattle annoyingly and loud. And sometimes it's quiet and then you will hit expansion joints in concrete highways and the damn dumb thing will rattle over every bump.

The dealer had it for 9 days before while working with Subaru and after adding double sided tape to the side pillars which did nothing the techline's best answer was to loosen and retourque the dash.

I figured from the beginning the best solution would be to buy the manual and figure out how the grille and dash pad come off and debug the rattle myself.

Between the dash rattle and oil consumption Subaru has pretty much lost me as a customer after my first Subaru.

·
Registered
2017 Forester Touring CVT
1,385 Posts
Thanks. What did they do to fix it? It doesn't seem to be coming from the direction of the MFD but I will try to isolate it to that.

I just called the service department where I bought the car and they said this sound is normal - it is the engine ciculating the exhaust (there is a valve involved) and once it warms up the noise goes away. Does that make sense?
Yes.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Premium
71 Posts
yeah i sort of have the same problem...sound usually goes away from longer drives/warming up...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts