Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

101 - 120 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i Tourin CVT
2 Posts
Liftgate still not lifting

Thanks, everyone, but Neally's suggestion didn't work. I'll try the fuse, but I'm not eager to mess with the battery. I think it's back to the dealer for me.

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
193 Posts
Thanks, everyone, but Neally's suggestion didn't work. I'll try the fuse, but I'm not eager to mess with the battery. I think it's back to the dealer for me.
I had the same problem with my 2014 Forester soon after getting it. I checked with the dealer and they told my that removing the cables from the battery and holding them together for 10 seconds is how they would fix the problem. I took care of it myself. I would rather do it myself than having the inconvenience of having to take it to the dealer. If it's due for some maintenance, then you might as well have them take care of the liftgate when the maintenance is done.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i Limted CVT
3 Posts
#49 Solved the problem for me as well.

I've come across a Technical Service Bulletin that addresses the problems reported in this thread.

Hope this helps those that are still dealing with this issue. :wink:
:woohoo:
Process was simple - disconnect both battery leads. Touch them to each other, then reconnect the battery leads.

Oh, then reprogram my radio station presets :icon_biggrin:

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
29 Posts
Thanks!

This tip solved our three beep / lift gate no worky issue. It's been great for a few days now.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
2014 Forester Touring CVT
1 Posts
PRG triple-beep problem

Less than 30 days and I have had the auto lift gate fail. First trip to Reno Subaru and they reset the door lift by unplugging PRG Control Module and clearing the error codes on computer. I am waiting to see if they will replace the poor quality 2014 part with the Subaru recommended replacement. Otherwise it will be the Lemmon Law solution, hope I don't have to take that route.

·
Registered
2014 Forester Touring 2.5 CVT
90 Posts
Less than 30 days and I have had the auto lift gate fail. First trip to Reno Subaru and they reset the door lift by unplugging PRG Control Module and clearing the error codes on computer. I am waiting to see if they will replace the poor quality 2014 part with the Subaru recommended replacement. Otherwise it will be the Lemmon Law solution, hope I don't have to take that route.
Surprised to hear you are having this problem. Supposedly Subaru has a new module that fixed the "3 beeps" problem as of August 2013 and I would have thought yours was made well after August if you have only had it for a month. Maybe the problem is not really fixed???? IDK.

Can you check your date of manufacture and serial number? As per the TSB: "The countermeasure PRG control module was incorporated into production during August, 2013 beginning with E*492310."

I have to admit mine that was manufactured in December seems to act in mysterious and unpredictable ways.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5iTouring CVT
41 Posts
Why are u sending this issue back to the start of this thread?????

TSB# 07-08-13 Dated: 10/31/13 APPLICABILITY: 2014 Forester Models SUBJECT: Power Rear Gate (PRG) Inoperative, Incomplete Initialization Procedure.

The real deal is that this thread started back on 9/9/2013 and this is the resolve?

The Manufacture should be well aware of this issue by now and should be assisting the customers with a fix of this issue not a DIY fix!

I have owned my Forester since 2/24/2014 and just started having issue with the PRG. I will start the paper trial with the dealer
and also notify the District Manager for Subaru.

As a collective group we can effect change but rudeness does not get the problem completely fixed. Subaru has a great product and talented
engineers; I sure that they can come up with a permanent fix.

But if you really need a temp fix please the following:

TSB# 07-80-13
Date 10/31/13
APPLICABILITY: 2014 Forester Models
SUBJECT: Power Rear Gate (PRG) Inoperative, Incomplete Initialization Procedure
INTRODUCTION
This bulletin provides additional information (see TSB 07-76-13R dated 7/8/2013) regarding the PRG system
operation and initialization procedure. If you receive a customer concern of a “beep- beep-beep” sound when
trying to operate the PRG, a likely cause is an incomplete initialization procedure. Initialization occurs any time
the auto closer function operates. It must complete every time the PRG is operated (closed) in order for the PRG
to work properly the next time one of the activation switches is operated. If a voltage drop occurs (e.g. cranking
the engine) during the exact time this initialization procedure is in process, there is a possibility the procedure
will not complete properly and (although securely closed and latched) the PRG system will be rendered
inoperative. During this time, the gate will operate manually however the PRG functions will be disabled. If the
customer’s normal usage pattern creates this condition regularly, a countermeasure PRG control unit has been
developed to remedy it.
COUNTERMEASURE IN PRODUCTION
The countermeasure PRG control module was incorporated into production during August, 2013 beginning with
E*492310.
PART INFORMATION The part number for the countermeasure PRG control unit is 63350SG003.
SERVICE PROCEDURE / INFORMATION
If the condition has been verified and can be duplicated, explain and demonstrate to the customer the operating
characteristics of the PRG system (e.g. wait to start the car until the PRG is fully closed). Starting the car with
the rear gate open is NOT recommended. This is to prevent exhaust gases from entering the vehicle’s passenger
cabin. If the customer understands how the system operates and is able to adjust their habits accordingly, no
further repair is necessary. Complete steps 1-3 of the initialization procedure outlined below. If normal PRG
operation cannot be restored or this condition occurs frequently for the customer, perform the complete
procedure, steps 1-7 to re-initialize the system.
1. With the ignition “OFF”, open the PRG manually using a fluid motion (no light flash or beep should
occur).
2. Carefully (slowly) close the rear gate until the first audible “click” of the rear gate latch mechanism is
heard then immediately let go of the rear gate. The auto closer function will then operate to complete the rear
gate closing / latching function. This will also complete the initialization process. If the auto closer function is
inoperative, diagnose per the applicable Service Manual.
3. After the PRG is fully closed, operate either the Gate Opener switch, the Gate Inner (close) switch, remote
keyless access switch or the Interior PRG Open/Close switch to verify the automatic opening and closing
operation.
4. If the PRG inoperative condition persists, record the radio station presets (and navigation system favorites,
if applicable).
5. IMPORTANT: Record any codes currently in PRG memory as the next step will clear them. 6.
Disconnect the positive and negative cables from the vehicle’s battery, touch the 2 cable ends
together creating a capacitive discharge which will clear the memory.
7. Reconnect the cables to the battery, reset all radio presets (and navigation favorites, if applicable) then
confirm normal PRG operation.
• If the customer’s PRG usage pattern precludes the ability of the system to initialize upon closing, and
control unit replacement is determined to be necessary to assure customer satisfaction, order and replace the
PRG control unit following the service procedure outlined in the applicable Service Manual.
• If the PRG still does not operate properly, utilize any codes pulled from the system and follow the rest of
the diagnostic procedures beginning on page PRG(diag)-2 of the 2014 Forester Service Manual.
WARRANTY / CLAIM INFORMATION
For vehicles within the Basic New Car Limited Warranty period, this repair may be claimed using the following
information …..

·
Registered
05 05LGT|14FXT|06S2k
178 Posts
Our '14 was made Dec 2013, happy to report I had the beep-beep-beep problem this morning.

Couldn't unload the stroller from the trunk.. not sure what to do now. I'm going to have to re-read this whole thread when I get home.

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
12,787 Posts
Our '14 was made Dec 2013, happy to report I had the beep-beep-beep problem this morning.

Couldn't unload the stroller from the trunk.. not sure what to do now. I'm going to have to re-read this whole thread when I get home.
You couldn't open it at all?

I hope you realize there is a manual operation mode. Just hold the button above the rear license plate for about a second and it will let you manually open it.

·
Premium Member
2014 328i xDrive Wagon 8 spd Auto
1,977 Posts
I've had the 3 beep problem twice in 15 months. In both cases after I manually opened and closed the hatch the problem cleared.

·
Registered
2014 XT CVT
1 Posts
Why are u sending this issue back to the start of this thread?????

TSB# 07-08-13 Dated: 10/31/13 APPLICABILITY: 2014 Forester Models SUBJECT: Power Rear Gate (PRG) Inoperative, Incomplete Initialization Procedure.

The real deal is that this thread started back on 9/9/2013 and this is the resolve?

The Manufacture should be well aware of this issue by now and should be assisting the customers with a fix of this issue not a DIY fix!

I have owned my Forester since 2/24/2014 and just started having issue with the PRG. I will start the paper trial with the dealer
and also notify the District Manager for Subaru.

As a collective group we can effect change but rudeness does not get the problem completely fixed. Subaru has a great product and talented
engineers; I sure that they can come up with a permanent fix.

But if you really need a temp fix please the following:

TSB# 07-80-13
Date 10/31/13
APPLICABILITY: 2014 Forester Models
SUBJECT: Power Rear Gate (PRG) Inoperative, Incomplete Initialization Procedure
INTRODUCTION
This bulletin provides additional information (see TSB 07-76-13R dated 7/8/2013) regarding the PRG system
operation and initialization procedure. If you receive a customer concern of a “beep- beep-beep” sound when
trying to operate the PRG, a likely cause is an incomplete initialization procedure. Initialization occurs any time
the auto closer function operates. It must complete every time the PRG is operated (closed) in order for the PRG
to work properly the next time one of the activation switches is operated. If a voltage drop occurs (e.g. cranking
the engine) during the exact time this initialization procedure is in process, there is a possibility the procedure
will not complete properly and (although securely closed and latched) the PRG system will be rendered
inoperative. During this time, the gate will operate manually however the PRG functions will be disabled. If the
customer’s normal usage pattern creates this condition regularly, a countermeasure PRG control unit has been
developed to remedy it.
COUNTERMEASURE IN PRODUCTION
The countermeasure PRG control module was incorporated into production during August, 2013 beginning with
E*492310.
PART INFORMATION The part number for the countermeasure PRG control unit is 63350SG003.
SERVICE PROCEDURE / INFORMATION
If the condition has been verified and can be duplicated, explain and demonstrate to the customer the operating
characteristics of the PRG system (e.g. wait to start the car until the PRG is fully closed). Starting the car with
the rear gate open is NOT recommended. This is to prevent exhaust gases from entering the vehicle’s passenger
cabin. If the customer understands how the system operates and is able to adjust their habits accordingly, no
further repair is necessary. Complete steps 1-3 of the initialization procedure outlined below. If normal PRG
operation cannot be restored or this condition occurs frequently for the customer, perform the complete
procedure, steps 1-7 to re-initialize the system.
1. With the ignition “OFF”, open the PRG manually using a fluid motion (no light flash or beep should
occur).
2. Carefully (slowly) close the rear gate until the first audible “click” of the rear gate latch mechanism is
heard then immediately let go of the rear gate. The auto closer function will then operate to complete the rear
gate closing / latching function. This will also complete the initialization process. If the auto closer function is
inoperative, diagnose per the applicable Service Manual.
3. After the PRG is fully closed, operate either the Gate Opener switch, the Gate Inner (close) switch, remote
keyless access switch or the Interior PRG Open/Close switch to verify the automatic opening and closing
operation.
4. If the PRG inoperative condition persists, record the radio station presets (and navigation system favorites,
if applicable).
5. IMPORTANT: Record any codes currently in PRG memory as the next step will clear them. 6.
Disconnect the positive and negative cables from the vehicle’s battery, touch the 2 cable ends
together creating a capacitive discharge which will clear the memory.
7. Reconnect the cables to the battery, reset all radio presets (and navigation favorites, if applicable) then
confirm normal PRG operation.
• If the customer’s PRG usage pattern precludes the ability of the system to initialize upon closing, and
control unit replacement is determined to be necessary to assure customer satisfaction, order and replace the
PRG control unit following the service procedure outlined in the applicable Service Manual.
• If the PRG still does not operate properly, utilize any codes pulled from the system and follow the rest of
the diagnostic procedures beginning on page PRG(diag)-2 of the 2014 Forester Service Manual.
WARRANTY / CLAIM INFORMATION
For vehicles within the Basic New Car Limited Warranty period, this repair may be claimed using the following
information …..

Thank you guys. This helped. Mine finally worked. Resetting the system via battery disconnection / reconnection really helped out. thanks a lot guys.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i Tour CVT
12 Posts
I bought my '14 Forester in December 2013, so it should have come with the latest controller.

Nevertheless, I just had to reboot my '14 Forester by pulling the battery to fix the trunk door. I thought that kind of "fix" is only reserved for smart phones.

Also, surprisingly, it somewhat fixed the CVT jerking/bucking between 20 to 30 mph under gradual acceleration. It seems to be switching much smoother now.

If you are sensing sarcasm, I am indeed annoyed by the fact that a $30+ grand car has to be "fixed" in this manner after barely 7 months and 1200 miles.

Unfortunately, this only postpones my having to drop the car off at the dealer to fix various rattles, including but not limited to the infamous odometer trip A/B button rattle. Sigh...

·
Premium Member
2014 2.0 XT yes
2,752 Posts
Nevertheless, I just had to reboot my '14 Forester by pulling the battery to fix the trunk door.
Did you you try the simpler version of the reset procedure first?

Your other issues have dedicated threads with lots of discussion.

This doesn't forgive your problems, but cheaper, simpler cars are less likely to have issues. The "I paid $XX, therefore I shouldn't have any problems" doesn't really hold water.

If you really want to experience issues, buy a $100K car! Real conversation with a co-worker and his mechanic (BMW M5):

Mechanic: "Hmm...your double-VANOS is starting to make noise."
Owner: "What do you recommend?"
Mechanic: "Sell the car while you still can."

·
Registered
2014 forester Touring Automatic
2 Posts
Couple more things.

Is your memory height system set in the programming mode?

If your dealership is not helping you to your level of satisfaction, contact Subaru of America and complain... that way they have your problem on record and they will contact the dealership. The dealership will likely be more motivated to help once they find out you contacted SOA.
Good advice: I have a brand new Subaru 2014 forester Touring. This morning the car was deader then a mackeral. I was lucky I even managed to open the door by some miracle. I called Subaru towing and they towed it to the Dealer. I called the Dealer and asked to speak to the Supervisor in the Service Department and I was told the Supervisors were not available and they were very busy. I spoke with a gentleman who said he worked in the servicing Department but was not a technician and told me not to worry this happens all the time and he just had a car in there indentical to mine with the exact same problem. Happens all the time he said. (what?) I told him my car was on the way up to the Dealership and for the service manager to call me back. I called the Corporate Office and the gentleman I spoke to was very courtesy and professional and gave me a case number and stated he would call the dealer later on this morning to check on the situation. Brand new car I was going to drive on a trip across country but it did not start. As a matter of fact I was lucky to get the door opened but that didn't help the car was dead.

·
Registered
2014 forester Touring Automatic
2 Posts
Sounds like a dead battery.

Thank you Neallv for your prompt sage response. It looks like you were right. The car is brand new. It only has about 100 miles on it. I am surprised the battery did not last longer then that especially in the summer months. The spokesperson at the dealership via phone call told me the battery was run down because a light was left on in the car. So he said they said they are charging the battery. But I do not remember leaving a light on in the car. The employee said the light left on was in the back of the car. I always check my car twice before I leave it and I did not notice a light left on. But we will see I hope the guy knows what he is talking about but he is not a technician. He said he is just repeating what the technician told him. I hope he didn't lose anything in the translation as to what the technician told him as to why an alleged new battery ran down fast. I have a lot of respect for technicians as nobody knows more about a job then the person who does it everyday. So I will have to talk to the technician when I pick up the car and not learn about the problem second hand. They seem busy today.

101 - 120 of 160 Posts