Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
2014 forester Auto
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have had five or more instances when my trunk will not open dispite using the dashboard, key, and trunk latch. When the issue occurs I normally can't open the trunk at all. The most recent trunk failure I recorded it (was upset so I curse a bit) and the trunk pops so I could manually open the trunk.

2014 Subaru forester Trunk Doesn't Always Open - YouTube

I have taken my vehicle to Dulles Motor Cars in Leesburg, VA and they cant help me although they stated that I have to provide them with the steps to reproduce the problem before they can do anything. I also called Subaru and their customer support department isn't helpful either. I was also told that I could be causing it by holding the button too long (I almost grabbed my key and left when I heard that).

This is my first Subaru and I feel as though I have a lemon on my hands. The next time it happens I will take it to the dealer and start the legal action to classify the vehicle as a lemon.

Has anyone else had this issue?

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
12,787 Posts
It sounds to me that the sensor that detects an object that would be in the way is not working right.

Two beeps and flashing hazards should go off then the door should open. If the door is not opening and there is 3 quick beeps, that indicates something is in the way.

It happens to me if I am standing too close when I try to open the rear gate using the key fob button.

Might be something to mention to your dealer.

P.S. - When dealing with Subaru try not to say "my **** doesn't open" or "Subaru sucks"... try to be friendly. I know it is frustrating, but if you are nice they will be more happy to help.:biggrin:

·
Premium Member
2014 2.0 XT yes
2,752 Posts
Issues, carefully read starting from section 2-30 (the same page I mentioned regarding your window problem) about the situations that affect operation of the rear gate. There are times when the system will ignore your input. or example, it's not friendly towards impatient button mashing. Just saying...

Geo, if the user name is any indication, this poster isn't going to be around for the long haul.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Were the doors unlocked when you tried from the inside? (looks like they were)
Was it in park?
Did you hold down the button long enough?

When you were doing it from outside -

1. Holding it down is to lift the door manually.
2. Press and release is for the auto lift.

Maybe the only way to open it when it is not in park is to open it manually (hold down)

·
Registered
2014 forester Auto
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought about something blocking the sensor, but I am not even near the rear of the vehicle. Your input about being nice is noted and I am getting frustrated with being told it is on me to find the solution. I feel as though this problem will stay with this vehicle so my pleasant nature fades fast.

·
Registered
2014 forester Auto
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did go through the user's manual and that section was a good read, but it wasn't like the window stopped working all of the time and I needed to reset it. At least that is my interpretation of the manual. Regardless, I followed the steps in the manual and if it happens again I will take it back to the dealer.
I will be honest my post on the forums is to see if I can find an answer so I can move on. If I can't find a solution and the dealer or Subaru doesn't have a fix I will no longer have an interest in Subaru vehicles. I would assume those that stay on the forums are glad and proud owners of their Subaru.

·
Premium Member
12,787 Posts
Couple more things.

Is your memory height system set in the programming mode?

If your dealership is not helping you to your level of satisfaction, contact Subaru of America and complain... that way they have your problem on record and they will contact the dealership. The dealership will likely be more motivated to help once they find out you contacted SOA.

·
Registered
2014 Forester limited Auto
50 Posts
I have the same problem and it happens randomly. I am waiting to take it into the dealership until my first oil change.
Also, has anybody with a 2014 forester noticed that the chrome window welts on the doors do not fit tight against the door.

·
Registered
2015 XT Touring CVT
33 Posts
ALL doors need to be unlocked to use your dash button. Try again.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT w/SI-Drive & X-mode
1 Posts
I am having the same issue. I have been to the dealership 3 times, but haven't had any luck yet. The first visit they couldn't get it to malfunction, the second visit it did malfunction while in service and they said that they found a TBS for the keyless entry and rear liftgate, so they "reset" the system. Within a day, it did it again. Went back in today and they said that they could not get it to malfunction. I too was asked if I was pushing the correct button on the door. Uh...yes. I don't get the long beep like you do when you switch it into manual mode and I don't get the 3 short beeps like you should when it detects that something is in the way. I get the normal two short chirps, then you can hear it clicking (like it's unlatching) it tries to open and then doesn't. Not sure what to try next, until it is malfunctioning on every try with the keyless entry, I don't think that the dealership is going to be able to do anything.

·
Premium Member
12,787 Posts
Does anyone know where the sensor is that detects if something is in the way of the door opening? Or does it use the camera to detect that?

I have to think that sensor is the issue.

·
Registered
2013 Forester Auto
1 Posts
Does anyone know where the sensor is that detects if something is in the way of the door opening? Or does it use the camera to detect that?

I have to think that sensor is the issue.
on manual page 2-31, there's a pic show where the sensor is but even though, we don't know how to do with it, better sent it back to dealer and ask them to fix.
mine one just come with the same problem to you. poor me...

I will see my dealer this weekend.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Did you ever get this issue fixed, I have the same problem and had to crawl into the rear and pop off the trim piece and manually open the hatch with a screwdriver.

·
Premium Member
12,787 Posts
Did you ever get this issue fixed, I have the same problem and had to crawl into the rear and pop off the trim piece and manually open the hatch with a screwdriver.
You could not even open it manually from the outside?

You never have to use the power liftgate... that is one of the things different with the Subaru system... you can open it or close it like a normal liftgate.

·
Registered
2014 forester XT cvt
26 Posts
The lift gate did not open for me for the first time since we got the vehicle.
There was two quick beeps and it wouldn't open.

Tried to manually open but it would not budge. Tried to unlock and lock the car..started the car..turned it off. It barely open one quarter of the way....put key in ignition and the lift gate closed by itself.

Pressed the button on the dash and everything was working again! I hope this is a rare random occurrence. Sure would not want the lift gate to be stuck in the middle of winter!!!

·
Premium Member
12,787 Posts
It barely open one quarter of the way....put key in ignition and the lift gate closed by itself.
Did you have the Memory Height button in the position to be setting it? I accidentally pushed that button once to try opening it.

When that button is pushed in (i think it is in) and you try opening the back end it will only open 1/4 of the way.

·
Registered
50 Posts
No could not open from the outside. It would beep 3 times when you pushed any button to open trunk. After it was opened from the inside , it worked fine. It's does this randomly and this was the first time I had to use a screwdriver like the manual stated

·
Registered
14 Forester Auto
13 Posts
The lift gate did not open for me for the first time since we got the vehicle.
There was two quick beeps and it wouldn't open.

Tried to manually open but it would not budge. Tried to unlock and lock the car..started the car..turned it off. It barely open one quarter of the way....put key in ignition and the lift gate closed by itself.

Pressed the button on the dash and everything was working again! I hope this is a rare random occurrence. Sure would not want the lift gate to be stuck in the middle of winter!!!
This happened to me too. The tailgate opened quarter and stayed there. But then it closes just fine. The manual says it is a safety feature just to alert us that we are pressing the button too many times ( emergency care section in the manual). It just resets itself after some time. In my case everything was back to normal the next morning when I checked the car.

Anyways that's quite a weird way of telling us we are not operating the button properly.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Automatic
92 Posts
i've had this happen, but i thiiiiink i may have hit the height memory button on accident. i can't quite be sure because i was fiddling around with things when it happened, but if you want to manually open the trunk you can do so from the outside by holding the button down for a few seconds and it will unlatch the hatch and you can pull it all the way up. after that, it should operate normally

1 - 20 of 160 Posts