Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1121 - 1140 of 4272 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
I actually really like the look of this new style (S?) better than the SH. Subaru looks like they're going back to the aggressive type styling like the SG. One question though, after reading the Car & Driver review of the new XT, where is the cooling air for the top mount coming from? There's no visible scoop. Don't tell me they're doing what Mazda did with the first gen MS3 and putting a top mount with no scoop. Maybe I missed something somewhere down the line or are they somehow running something from the front grill up to it?

·
Premium Member
9,878 Posts
I actually really like the look of this new style (S?) better than the SH. Subaru looks like they're going back to the aggressive type styling like the SG. One question though, after reading the Car & Driver review of the new XT, where is the cooling air for the top mount coming from? There's no visible scoop. Don't tell me they're doing what Mazda did with the first gen MS3 and putting a top mount with no scoop. Maybe I missed something somewhere down the line or are they somehow running something from the front grill up to it?
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f155/2014-forester-redesign-merged-thread-96449/index52.html#post1323139 molded air duct running from the grille back

·
Registered
306 Posts
Not having a hood scoop is dumb. As said above, it's what makes the Subaru turbo stand out from the rest. I understand fuel economy and all that, but come on. It's what we all love haha. It's too bad they are trying to erase their racing history and be more bland. Keep being unique. Maybe someone will come up with an aftermarket replacement....

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
Not having a hood scoop is dumb. As said above, it's what makes the Subaru turbo stand out from the rest. I understand fuel economy and all that, but come on. It's what we all love haha. It's too bad they are trying to erase their racing history and be more bland. Keep being unique. Maybe someone will come up with an aftermarket replacement....
i'd rather have a front mount

·
Premium Member
2,039 Posts
I'll miss the scope. It was a brand identifier, but as Silke mentioned it seems to be an identity Subaru wants to shed to become one with the universal stream.....of vanilla.

·
Super Moderator
3,284 Posts
I think it's because Subaru is trying to distance itself from its motorsports history and/or performance heritage. In the past the scoops have always been a nod to the WRC rally cars, dating back even to the non-functional scoops on the GC8's and Outbacks of the late 90's, before any of the turbo models were ever introduced in North America. It's too bad, really, that they're trying to sweep all of that under the rug now. I wonder how many of the newcomers to Subaru have ever even heard of Colin McRae, Petter Solberg, Richard Burns, or Tommy Makkinen.
Which is ironic, because in rally, the hoodscoop is used for the air intake, and switch to a front mount intercooler.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
i'd rather have a front mount
Yes agreed. BUT for those of us who can't afford the upgrade(s) and like the look of the stock functional hood scoop, this is kind of a bummer. Even a hood like the current one would be fine.

I feel like Subaru should take suggestions from the general public haha

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Scoop

The XV diesel also has no scoop, and it has the same TMIC with ducting arrangement as the new XT. Given that the XV is presumably targeted at a younger/funkier demographic than the Forester, I think it's safe to assume that removing the scoop was not done to make the car look mainstream/mature or whatever, but rather for a practical reason like aero or perhaps pedestrian safety.

-- Steve

·
Registered
82 Posts
The XV diesel also has no scoop, and it has the same TMIC with ducting arrangement as the new XT. Given that the XV is presumably targeted at a younger/funkier demographic than the Forester, I think it's safe to assume that removing the scoop was not done to make the car look mainstream/mature or whatever, but rather for a practical reason like aero or perhaps pedestrian safety.

-- Steve
Incorrect; it's not safe to assume that. Subaru is going for the mainstream look even if it improves the aerodynamics.

2014 Subaru Forester Prototype Quick Drive - Motor Trend
Designers always get to mess with a new-generation vehicle, and while the 2014 Forester's basic footprint remains roughly the same (every major exterior dimension is within an inch or so of the outgoing model), there are some noticeable changes, chief among them no more hood scoop for the turbo, as Subaru says it's aiming for a more mature, refined look.
2014 Subaru Forester First Drive
The turbocharged model loses its trademark hood scoop, also providing better aero. The loss of the top-mount intake is likely to jar some of the brand's faithful, but I think it's a big improvement. Curiously, this dramatic change on the outside didn't require moving the intercooler from atop the engine where it used to be fed by the scoop. Instead, Subaru just reworked the plumbing so air now comes to it from the front grille.

·
Premium Member
10,887 Posts
They've been improving aerodynamics for years lol, a brick is still a brick. The new setup does look restrictive, but we'll have to see real world results. If the whole hood would get heat soaked, it sure would not be ideal.

Stan

1121 - 1140 of 4272 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.