Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester Limited CVT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Overall I love my '14 Forester. But the paint seems VERY thin or easily scratched. I got mine in the red, which may be part of the problem (my '03 Outback was in the pearl white which I am beginning to think is a much better color for not showing dirt and for not showing scratches).

Note that I am very careful with my car. But I am finding too many small scratches that go right through the red to the primer. It's really annoying. And the car is only 4 months old. And it's not on the front of the hood where you might see stone chips. I am finding scratches on the driver's door near the handle, for example. And on the hood near the windshield.

Are they putting the paint on super-thin? If they are, then my suggestion is DON'T. I fear what the finish will look like in a year or two.

·
Registered
2014 Forester Ltd. CVT
1,779 Posts
Right there with you, Guit. I baby mine, but small things have scratched the @#$# out of it; and it's just 6 mo old. Every door is scratched from simple use.

·
Registered
1999 Forester 5MT
856 Posts
Welcome to current Subaru paint. I have the huge kit of Dr Color Chip for my STI to keep it from looking too bad.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
412 Posts
Likewise. Scratches everywhere and it's especially bad with all the nicks and scrapes on the hood, bumper, fenders and windshield pillars. I've also noticed 2 relatively large dents in 2 places that have me scratching my head. A huge dent center of the hood literally 2" from the edge by the windshield and then another on the driver side top frame. Have no idea how that got there either...something new every time I was my car.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
801 Posts
Its the best lesson I learned from my 08 Impreza which was Satin Pearl White.

Very hard to spot scratches and dirt unless you're very close to it.

My 2014 FXTT is also Satin Pearl white and looks great.

The downside to Pearl is that it is expensive to fix (3 stage paint job I was told).

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Premium CVT
105 Posts
Paint is rather heavy, so automakers have trended to thinner topcoats to help fuel efficiency. Google "[manufacturer] thin paint" and you'll find it's a fairly common complaint.

Silver's been my default color for years -- it hides dust/scratches/abrasions pretty well.

·
Registered
2014 Foz Ltd CVT
310 Posts
Paint is rather heavy, so automakers have trended to thinner topcoats to help fuel efficiency. Google "[manufacturer] thin paint" and you'll find it's a fairly common complaint.

Silver's been my default color for years -- it hides dust/scratches/abrasions pretty well.
I would have been good with a Silver / Dark Grey Int, but here in the PNW, 3 out of 5 cars are silver...so, we went black.
Not looking forward to the scratch-scapades :censored:

·
Premium Member
'21 ISM Crosstrek Limited
1,172 Posts
Its the best lesson I learned from my 08 Impreza which was Satin Pearl White.

Very hard to spot scratches and dirt unless you're very close to it.

My 2014 FXTT is also Satin Pearl white and looks great.

The downside to Pearl is that it is expensive to fix (3 stage paint job I was told).
This ^^^, plus the fact my 2014 FXTT's paint is THE best I've ever had on a Subaru, and rivals any I've seen on any American production car. That is, it is a deep (looking) glassy paint that to me is flawless and above criticism.

When I say "ever had on a Subaru" I'm referencing twenty one years of owning them, nine in number. My 2005 LGT GRP paint was horrendous, and the rest variations of Subaru's iffy paint, which I accepted as a minor aspect... it is the underlying engineering that makes a Subaru a Subaru to me. I expected no different on the '14, and was surprised and delighted the paint matched the rest of this superior machine's excellence.

·
Registered
2014 Forester
17 Posts
My black Forester is showing lots of scratches too, especially around door handles. Paint seems too soft and thin. My auto tailgate hit garage door once and took off paint, it's so thin that you can barely feel the ding but you can see it. Love driving it though!

·
Registered
2014 Forester Touring 6-Spd Manual
114 Posts
Had a 2003 Forester with Sierra Gold Metallic. Really like that color as it never looks dull even I never washed the vehicle for over a month. I have to get close to see the dirt. That's why I chose white this time and never regret. Been raining here almost once or twice a week and never got a chance to wash it. Still looks good under the sun.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
88 Posts
My 2014 FXT is a Pearl White Metallic and so far, so good. Seems to be a pretty decent paint job. No worse certainly than the one I had on my XTerra... where the paint on the A pillars just about chipped completely off by the time I traded it in (99k miles).

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i automatic
15 Posts
I have just ordered a new Forester 2.5i. The sales people said that because the new paint does not have lead in it, they recommend paint protection.
I think this is rubbish.
What do others think?
I did not order the paint protection.

·
Registered
14 XT CVT
43 Posts
I have red too. It shows every swirl and light scratch. I think its going to be a long battle to keep it looking fresh. Once spring arrives, I will see about getting it buffed and sealed. I image most light stuff will be easy to remove.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 6-speed manual
111 Posts
I have just ordered a new Forester 2.5i. The sales people said that because the new paint does not have lead in it, they recommend paint protection.
I think this is rubbish.
What do others think?
I did not order the paint protection.
Yes, rubbish and way overpriced at the dealer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
ridiculously thin paint

about 4 months into buying my immaculate satin pearl 2012 forrester there was a blue green dot the size of a half penny on the rear door. It was faint but not on the surface, actually coming thru from underneath. Then a month later I parked at a shopping center, came out to find a scuff mark (like when the guy parked next to you opens his door too wide) -- though it was just a metal mark, but nope -- an honest to goodness scuff; faint black showing thru. So based on all the other comments here and my own experience it all corroborates: thin coat + cheap paint = subie looking like a dalmatian (sorry dalmatians!)

·
Registered
2015 Forester
6 Posts
I just bought 2015 forester it already has a scratch on the rear door and i dont know where it came from. The paint quality sucks was avoidinf bu car using the cheap chinese method of ripping off the buyer will not buy another cause I have other issue and car is 4 days old.

·
Registered
2015 Forester
6 Posts
the subie paint are bad does anyone recomment having the paint protectent /sealnat put on as a aftermarket. I have done it on my nissan with pearly paint .

·
Registered
2013/14 2.5i-L CVT
872 Posts
the subie paint are bad does anyone recomment having the paint protectent /sealnat put on as a aftermarket.
I can see how a few micron thick sealant is going to provide any more protection than the paint. It can only be as tough as what it's covering.

For those finding scratches behind the door handles from fingernails, magnetic door handle protectors are available on Amazon and Ebay. They are made from the same magnetized plastic as fridge magnets.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts