Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I noticed recently my car making a noise. At first I wasn't totally sure it was the car. The one time I got out to inspect the car, saw that the gas door was opened. Had husband still take it for a test run and no noise could be heard. Then finally last night I heard it loud and clear and so did my 8 year old. A loud, metal rattling sound is the only way I know to describe it that got louder the faster the car went. I pulled into my driveway then backed right out to listen to it more. I didn't even give it gas and as I went down hill, noise got louder. I brought it home and it sat for a little bit then took it to my friend's work ( he's a tractor trailer mechanic), he looked under the car to see if anything was loose,etc. Took it for a test run..nothing. Couldn't figure it out. So today it does it again after being run for a little bit, sitting in idle then went to back out and it did it. But I noticed this time the faster I went it eventually stopped and didn't last for very long. Then it did it a 2nd time when I went to pull out from being in park but car was still running. AGain once I picked up momentum and went faster, the noise stopped. I am really worried. Car is about to hit 60K mark. I also have been getting poor gas mileage for awhile now. Tried to tell dealership while car was still under warranty and they would say that they couldn't find anything wrong. Tried adding the expensive fuel injector cleaner. Helped the first day and that was it. I get around 18 to 21 MPG usually. That is horrible for a 4 cylinder. My 6 cylinder Bonneville got that when I had it. Also, the exhaust makes a noise from time to time. They said it was something inside it, it happens to the Legacies as well and wanted $500 to fix it. I declined and took it to a garage. Of course that noise is also intermittent so they couldn't find the issue, checked the exhaust out and found nothing wrong said as it stands it would pass inspection and not to worry about it. So I am thinking everything is related. I am very irritated. I also have had several oil consumption check tests done because check oil light has been coming on every now and then between changes, since 2017 I believe? I am the only owner, got it brand new so it wasn't a used purchase. Battery, some breaks and tires have been replaced as well as the break light switch recall. That's it, everything else is original parts. My friend is going to do the tune up that's a mechanic, my shop wants to charge $500 for the 60K service. Sorry just seems overpriced to me. Anyway, I have posted a video of the noise and no one knows for sure what it is. It's very weird. Not sure how to take it to a shop because like I said, it's intermitten. They could test drive it and hear nothing. Please not, video I posted was on my FB was jsut explaining that I posted it and others couldn't figure out exactly what it is ( those that know about cars,etc). I think I was able to get the link and it will work from here. Here is the video best I could get of the noise https://www.facebook.com/jessika.moore.10/videos/10156603938526448/

·
Administrator
15,128 Posts
Hard to tell from the video - to me it sounds like scraping on a brake dust shield or potentially a worn brake pad warning.

If there's a rock caught between the brake disc (rotor) and the shield it could make a scraping sound; running the car in reverse for, say, 15-20 feet usually clears that issue by dislodging the offending piece.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My whole thing is, it's intermitten and doesn't do it the entire time. If it were a rock wouldn't it constantly be making that noise? Also my friend checked the brakes and said they were fine.

·
Registered
2012 XT Touring 4EAT
3,750 Posts
Do you have a sunroof? If yes, try fully opening the inside cover - push it all the way back. Any change in rattle?

·
Registered
1999 "L" - 231,000 mi. AT
702 Posts
Also, the exhaust makes a noise from time to time. They said it was something inside it, it happens to the Legacies as well and wanted $500 to fix it. I declined and took it to a garage. Of course that noise is also intermittent so they couldn't find the issue,
Not sure it's the same, but I used to live on a gravel road - a few pebbles would be kicked up and get into the heat shield underneath the catalytic converter and rattle during almost every acceleration. A shop freed the rusty bolts holding on the heat shield, removed it and the pebbles fell out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts