Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i Prem CVT
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I know this is an odd question. Just picked up a 2014 Forester 2.5i Prem.

What color is the valet key that came with your 2014?

My 2014 Forester has a BLACK valet key.

BUT...

My wife drives a 2013 Outback and it came with a GREY Valet key.
My friend drives a 2014 WRX and it also came with a GREY Valet key.

The reason I ask is I've been hearing they can come with either a gray or black? Or do all 2014's now come with a black valet key?

I'm really enjoying the new Foz so far! Thanks in advance :banana:

·
Registered
2014 forester CVT
3 Posts
valet key

We picked up our 14 Forester Premium last Saturday. It came with a black Valet Key. I have a 2009 Honda, Element and I have a gray valet key for that vehicle.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i CVT
124 Posts
Picked up my new 2014 Ice Metallic Silver Premium all weather package w/remote starter and fog lamps this morning. Has 68 miles on it. Replaces the 2001 Forester S with 178,650 miles I purchased new in June 2001.

Black valet key fob.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess the 2014's now have a black valet key... previous year Subaru's were grey. Interesting. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5 Touring CVT
111 Posts
Valet Key? What Valet Key? Grrr

2014 Touring, black valet key.
2014 Touring 2.5i with factory remote start. We were given two fobs and were told there is no option for a valet key when we inquired. A minor nit in the greater scheme of things for sure, but we would have liked one.

My son-in-law is guessing it got built into the remote starter somehow. Anybody know if this is true?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
2014 Touring 2.51 with factory remote start. We were given two fobs and were told there is no option for a valet key when we inquired. A minor nit in the greater scheme of things for sure, but we would have liked one.

My son-in-law is guessing it got built into the remote starter somehow. Anybody know if this is true?
I wish I had an answer to that, but I don't have the remote start option. However, I think you should have gotten the valet key, because the factory remote start is an 'accessory' added onto the basic system. The addition of remote start shouldn't take away the valet key. :icon_question:

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Touring CVT
20 Posts
I wish I had an answer to that, but I don't have the remote start option. However, I think you should have gotten the valet key, because the factory remote start is an 'accessory' added onto the basic system. The addition of remote start shouldn't take away the valet key. :icon_question:
Agreed. I too have Touring but not the remote start. Try asking a different dealer , let us know what you find.

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
12,780 Posts
2014 Touring 2.51 with factory remote start. We were given two fobs and were told there is no option for a valet key when we inquired. A minor nit in the greater scheme of things for sure, but we would have liked one.

If it is remote start, I would imagine you should have a valet key.

If it is push button start (keyless) you should have 2 fobs and no key.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5 Touring CVT
111 Posts
If it is remote start, I would imagine you should have a valet key.

If it is push button start (keyless) you should have 2 fobs and no key.
Hi Josh, The answer is yes on both preconditions. It is the keyless ignition, with factory remote starter, 2 fobs and no Valet key- just the metal door keys that nest inside the fobs. The metal door keys cannot be used to start the engine. Once inside the Forester a person has full access.

The Forester has a far less secure design than my Honda Civics which have locks on the seat backs, gas cover and trunk, none of which can be operated with the valet key.

·
Registered
2014 Foz Ltd CVT
310 Posts
Grey here with 2014 Forester Touring.
Interesting. What is your manufacture date?

Our '14 Limited is black and has a manufacture date of 9/13. The valet key is lighter than the regular key. One could call it "light black" or as Subaru uses "off black". I imagine one could refer to it as grey. It is also lighter than the black key for my '04 Legacy.

ETA: after looking at it some more, I noticed the valet key is a much softer material. Maybe the texture diff causes the grey look. The wife said that the valet key looks "dark grey".

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hi Josh, The answer is yes on both preconditions. It is the keyless ignition, with factory remote starter, 2 fobs and no Valet key- just the metal door keys that nest inside the fobs. The metal door keys cannot be used to start the engine. Once inside the Forester a person has full access.

The Forester has a far less secure design than my Honda Civics which have locks on the seat backs, gas cover and trunk, none of which can be operated with the valet key.
Well, you can use your metal key that resides in the fob to lock your glove box. When you use valet do this and remove the metal key when you hand them the fob. It may not be what you were used to with the Honda, but it is something.

·
Premium Member
12,780 Posts
Well, you can use your metal key that resides in the fob to lock your glove box. When you use valet do this and remove the metal key when you hand them the fob. It may not be what you were used to with the Honda, but it is something.
The key fob will not work without the metal key inserted into it.

Edit: Here is the quote from the OM

"You cannot unlock the glove box without using the mechanical key. You can keep the glove box locked when you leave your vehicle and the access key (with the mechanical key removed) at a parking facility." - pg 2-8

The wording on this does not make much sense to me. Is it talking about valet (still being able to move the vehicle) or is it talking about leaving the key fob locked in the glovebox and taking the key with you so nobody can drive your car?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts