Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester automatic
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello folks.. I am looking for somebody to provide their experience with this.

I am hoping to get a 2014 Forester soon, but I need to make sure it will be the right car.

one of the criteria is launching a boat.

my house is less then 1/2 mile from the boat ramp..
I would drive on flat, paved road for a very short distance.
Boat with trailer weighs approx 3500 pounds. (18' Run about with inboard/outboard motor.. boat weighs about 2000 lbs + 1200 lbs for trailer)

While I know it is way over maximum rated towing capacity, because I would drive for such a short distance with a relatively slow speed (no more then 20-25 mph), I dont anticipate that being a big problem

I'm fairly confident that launching itself wont be a large problem either, since the boat will float right away.

my biggest concern is whether I'll be able to get the boat out of the water ?

that short incline approx 20 feet at the ramp is the big question..

I would only do this few times in the summer.
any ideas? experience? recommendation is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2013/14 2.5i-L CVT
975 Posts
I bought the Forester specifically because I needed a car to pull my boat up slimy, and thus very slippery boat ramps. It does it easily. However, the all up weight is only about 1,000 kg/2,200 lb, which is well within the Australian tow limit of 1,500kg/3,300 lb.

I understand Foresters have lower towing weight limits in other parts of the world, perhaps because they lack the transmission coolers that come as standard here on CVT equipped cars. So I think 3,500 lb might be pushing it, even allowing for the short distance.

As a generalisation, trailer weights shouldn't be more than 75% of the rated capacity. Be aware that the weight on the receiver/ball is also critical. And you should check if the hitch is physically capable of handling the weight. It may be that the hitch is designed for considerably less and 3,500 lb will exceed even the safety margin. There may also be an insurance issue if you have an accident with the car so overloaded.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts