Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester Automatic CVT
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've never posted before but did a lot of research on this forum to put an aftermarket backup camera in along with a new head unit.
I have a 2014 Forester base model, so I didn't have any "MFD" to worry about.

The most difficult part was locating a back up light wire and connecting to it & running the camera's wire all the way up to the HU. (I took a shortcut.. Until it reaches the rear panel and joins with existing wiring, I just ran it along the (bottom) side of the car underneath the trim)

Anyway, I don't know how many of you are interested in doing this but I can offer you some information if you have any questions, since I didn't see any posts about installing an aftermarket camera on a base model.

·
Registered
2014 Forester Premium 6-speed Manual
48 Posts
Thanks for the post and offer. If you have some pics while you were doing the install, I'm sure they would be welcome.
Which JVC deck did you pick up?

·
Registered
2014 Forester Automatic CVT
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the post and offer. If you have some pics while you were doing the install, I'm sure they would be welcome.
Which JVC deck did you pick up?
I don't have any pics during the install, but where you would need pictures are easily accessible so I can take pictures if you need it.

I used JVC KWAV61BT - $270. It's not pricey and does all I need it to do... Also with removable screen.

·
Registered
2014 Forester Auto
1 Posts
please post any information you can.

im interested in the equipment you used to complete things! a list would be great.

:icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin:

·
Registered
2014 Forester Premium 6-speed Manual
48 Posts
I used JVC KWAV61BT
Reason I asked was I purchased a JVC KW-NSX600 a couple months ago. When I installed it, I wasn't too concerned about having the reverse cam hooked up to it. I put in a SWC and the steering wheel controls work, and purchased a Toyota USB adapter so the usb jack in the arm rest also works.

But after I had installed it, I purchased the harnesses from David at ae64.com to utilize the rear view camera input to both the MFD and the HU, but haven't had time to remove the deck again to install it. Hope to get that done this week, so I'll take some pics while doing it and post as a follow-up.

·
Registered
2004 Saturn Auto
16 Posts
Hi,

I've never posted before but did a lot of research on this forum to put an aftermarket backup camera in along with a new head unit.
I have a 2014 Forester base model, so I didn't have any "MFD" to worry about.

The most difficult part was locating a back up light wire and connecting to it & running the camera's wire all the way up to the HU. (I took a shortcut.. Until it reaches the rear panel and joins with existing wiring, I just ran it along the (bottom) side of the car underneath the trim)

Anyway, I don't know how many of you are interested in doing this but I can offer you some information if you have any questions, since I didn't see any posts about installing an aftermarket camera on a base model.
I am interested to know how, where, and what model of camera you used.

What wire harness/dash kit did you use and and do you still retain steering wheel and usb functionality?

·
Registered
323 Posts
I installed a JVC unit with a Ebay back up camera in my last SUV, don't blow big money on a back up camera, the cheapest cameras provide good quality images.

I put a pioneer HU in the forester and have been more impressed with the sound quality over the JVC I had. But the JVC is far better for user ease.

I have the HK audio so I needed to trick the amp to wake up. Make sure you buy the USB connection as well. If you dont use the SVC guy, use the Toyota 4 pin USB connection from Amazon. The steering controls are the AWSC-1 I believe, I still havent got mine to work properly lol.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts