Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2014 forester XT
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2014 F XT touring. 60k miles. New engine put in by factory about 30k miles.

AC has worked fine for 2 years. I was driving yesterday in stop and go traffic about 90 degrees and it was working fine, then all of a sudden it stopped blowing cold air. It was blowing, but not cold. There was no discernible difference in fan speed or anything like that. One second nice cold air, the next second it was as if a ghost turned off the AC portion and it started to get hot.

I try turning it off an on a few times with no lock. Went to the grocery store. Parked the car for 15 minutes. Turned it back on and it worked. It has been working all today no problem.

I am wondering if there was a random electronic gremlin?

For a second I thought that maybe everything was getting to hot and some sort of thermostat control tells the AC to turn off if the vehicle is getting close to overheating but there were no other dashboard lights, no steam, no bogging down feeling, and it was only 90 degrees. Most modern cars handle 90 degrees no problem.

Any thoughts as to if something is on its way out the door. An ounce of care is worth a pound of prevention is usually my motto.

·
Registered
2011 Forester
119 Posts
2014 F XT touring. 60k miles. New engine put in by factory about 30k miles.

AC has worked fine for 2 years. I was driving yesterday in stop and go traffic about 90 degrees and it was working fine, then all of a sudden it stopped blowing cold air. It was blowing, but not cold. There was no discernible difference in fan speed or anything like that. One second nice cold air, the next second it was as if a ghost turned off the AC portion and it started to get hot.

I try turning it off an on a few times with no lock. Went to the grocery store. Parked the car for 15 minutes. Turned it back on and it worked. It has been working all today no problem.

I am wondering if there was a random electronic gremlin?

For a second I thought that maybe everything was getting to hot and some sort of thermostat control tells the AC to turn off if the vehicle is getting close to overheating but there were no other dashboard lights, no steam, no bogging down feeling, and it was only 90 degrees. Most modern cars handle 90 degrees no problem.

Any thoughts as to if something is on its way out the door. An ounce of care is worth a pound of prevention is usually my motto.

This may come as a shock but that sounds normal to me, with a caveat.

The issue is stop and go traffic. Engine management will cut out unnecessary heat load if fans are unable to cool the engine/transmission and get rid of the evaporation. I have seen this on two different car makes.

This is to prevent overheating.

Caveat is that the clutch is correctly shimmed still and given the age of your car, it should be.

The clue to me was that you’ve turned the car off and if cooled down. When restarted, it worked fine. Check to see if your car will run fans automatically even if the car is off. This is also not unusual. How many cooling fans do you have, one or two?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 2 of 2 Posts