Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
'14 2.5i Premium 6MT
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning everyone!

I found an old thread on this, but it didn't really apply as it dealt more with the hardware associated with the window than the switch itself.

I have a '14 2.5MT that the driver's window switch seems to be working intermittently. The other day, I tried to roll the window down, nothing, not even the sound of the motor attempting to engage. All the other windows function just fine; they all work from the local switch on each door too.
I was complaining to a co-worker whom I was giving a ride to, when I pushed the button it worked as expected, exactly twice. It was enough to go down a couple of inches, then back up. After that nothing again.

I'm thinking I have a switch that is going out but figured I'd check with those who are more in the know. I am handy electrically, so if I need to trace some wires, clean contacts, etc. I can do it.

I didn't have time to tear things down and look for loose connections, but I've had no issues over the past 2 years.

I've found the switch on eBay at a better price than the Subaru price of $175, but I'd still rather not spend more than needed

Exco

Registered
2017 Outback
I've had a lot of trouble with the master window switch on my '15 Limited. It all started when I accidentally opened the switch allowing all the wires to fall out. A Subi mechanic helped me find the correct schematic to put it back together. i carefully inserted the wires into the correct slot and plugged the connector back in and I had the same intermittent operation that you described. Sometimes it worked but most times it didn't.

I took the door panel off again and pushed the pins down firmly into the white plastic connector to re-seat them. That worked for a few weeks but it's acting up again and I cannot get the driver's auto function to work. I am familiar with the reset procedure for the auto function but I cannot get it to work.

I am convinced that the fragile pins inside the connector are the root of the problem. The pins are too thin for the current that they carry and there needs to be more tension between the two sides of the wiring connector. By that I mean the V shaped pins on the power side of the connector need to make better contact with the metal contacts on the switch side of the white connector. Does this make sense? It's hard to describe.

Now, how to fix it? :shrug: Ideas? :icon_idea:

Attachments

Registered
'14 2.5i Premium 6MT
Discussion Starter #6
I appreciate the suggestion, Mike. I don't think the reset will apply until after I replace the switch, if then.

What I am experiencing is a total lack of functionality.

I did have the switch work a couple of times this past weekend, but something was off about it.

This is not my primary vehicle; I use it as my "out of town" vehicle. I work for the railroad, and I spend more time in a half a horse town than I do at home. I will be ordering a switch and going from there.

thanks

Exco

Registered
'14 2.5i Premium 6MT
Discussion Starter #7
I took advantage of when the window was working and did the re-calibration.

Seems to be working now. Time will tell how long it lasts.

Exco

Registered
'14 2.5i Premium 6MT
Discussion Starter #8
I'm back to total non-functionality. I have replaced the switch, still nada.

It seems that I'm looking at either a bad motor or a lack of power somewhere. I haven't had the chance to do proper troubleshooting. I will update when I have had that chance.

I plan on checking all fuses (pretty sure they're good), then checking power in the wiring harness at the switch and motor.
I just read an old thread where someone opened up the motor and rigged up something to account for worn down brushes in the motor, may see if that is what I'm experiencing.

Exco

Registered
@Excoastie Oh man, i have so much to say about this issue. I鈥檓 still looking for a solution. I鈥檝e had something similar for about 5 year.

I dropped it off at the dealer and they have looked at a lot of things. They mentioned that the circuits can鈥檛 handle all four windows rilling up and down at once, but my issue was with mostly the driver door just not working at random times. For example, I came back from a work trip about 3 days got to my car in the airport parking lot tried to roll down the drivers side to pay parking.

This issue frustrates me to no end. Do you hear audible click from under the driver side near the steering column? I figured that out at least. It sounds like a relay clicking on and off. That still didn鈥檛 help the dealer.

Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
@DirtyGBird note that @Excoastie last signed onto the forum 4 months ago, so you may not get an answer. You could send him a PM - Private Message... now called a "conversation" on this new site. He's optioned to receive an e-mail notification, so you could receive a reply to your question.

Also...
For the best forum experience, we recommend completing your "Account Details". The optional information you enter there will display when members click "About" in your forum profile. You can also create a custom "Signature" that will display every time you make a forum post. The optional additional information you provide could mean getting forum member replies, or not.
Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

Registered
'14 2.5i Premium 6MT
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry for the long absence. Lots going on lately.

An update.

There was a loose wire in the harness of the driver's door.
I couldn't pinpoint exactly where it was, but I was able to secure and stabilize the wires in the harness with several wire ties.
So far, so good. We shall see how it holds up. If it can survive my son driving the car for a week or so, then it should hold up to my wife and I.

--Exco

1 - 13 of 13 Posts