Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester 6-Speed Stick
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day, when driving home form work, I noticed a new and funny sound. Describing a sound if often difficult in text, but the best I can is say that it was speed related (Got faster as the car for faster) and there was no noticeable textile feedback in the controls (couldn’t feel it in the steering wheel, no sensation from the brakes, no obvious chassis shutter to go with it). It kind of sounds like “...rrrrrrrrRRRRRRRrrrrrrrr... ...rrrrrrrrrRRRRRRrrrrrrrr...”
As soon as I heard it I stopped and checked everything over that I could think of. No loose wheels or anything dragging. The only thing I could notice was really worn rear brakes and really worn tires (both of which were known). To eliminate these (and improve my car) I replaced the rear pads and rotors and bought new tires. The brakes are WAY better (didn’t realize just how bad they were) and I have nice new rubber, but the sound is still there.
Looking things over tonight, I happened to glance down at the front passenger side half shaft and it just doesn’t look right to me. Aside from the grease on the side of the differential, the angle just looks wrong. What do you all think?

https://flic.kr/p/2iLKkc4
There are no popping or clicking noises, but are sounds associates with OUTER CV failures. It’s the inner one that I am worried about.
Thoughts?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@Kevin Not lifted. All suspension is stock and it is sitting on it's wheels in this pic.

·
Administrator
13,883 Posts
How does the angle compare with the other side? That grease may have come from the CV or the diff seal is damaged.
Does the sound seem like it's coming from the center of the vehicle? I ask because I had a hard to diagnose noise many years ago and it turned out to be the front diff.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The other side looks good as far as I can tell. Lots of tubes and steering mech in the way, but the angle of the CV joint looks appropriate.
And yes, the noise does sound centralized.

I wish I had a way to put a camera on this joint while I was driving, you know?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts