Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Premium
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Retrofit OEM Shark Fin antenna?

Going from a 2014 Forester non-nav, non-xm factory headunit, to a JVC Android Auto headunit. I don't like running the antenna wires (GPS and XM) through the hatch jam or door jams, and I don't want to have them inside the car. I was thinking about trying to retrofit a Subaru oem Shark Fin.

Does anyone know what connectors are on the Shark Fin pigtails?
FAKRA, SMB, DIN? A picture would be worth a lot here.

The oem lead wires are also available which would run up to the factory radio, but then I'd need adapters, and I'd rather just get a custom lead wires made with what I need, seems like some internet shops make cables to order (like discountcarstereo dot com)

Thanks if anyone has messed with the antenna, I'd appreciate your input!

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Premium
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, that thread looks like what I need and I tried DMing Subaruonlineparts.com for clarification and ordering. Thanks so much!

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring
700 Posts
I put a sharkfin on mine. It was a radio/xm/gps model and fit the plugs I had for radio/xm on my old one just fine. I did it when I dropped the headliner to remove the roof rails but you could do it without dropping the headliner except in the back.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Premium
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, that's the situation I was hoping for. Updating post when I receive the antenna and make sense of the last leg of my install, ordered it yesterday from SubaruOnlineParts.com. Thanks for the confidence!

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Premium
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It was a radio/xm/gps model and fit the plugs I had for radio/xm on my old one just fine.
I ordered one for a 2016 w/ Nav, but it came without the GPS connector. I'm not sure if I got shipped the wrong part, or if I ordered the wrong part.

I see you ordered part no 86321SG300U9, but I'm not sure if the "300" series has GPS or the "320" does.

Do you remember if it had the brown barrel connector for the GPS? It sounds like you had a FM/XM radio stock, and got a sharkfin which included GPS?

Thanks if you can remember @aggie113!

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring
700 Posts
86321SG300U9, and yes I have HK FM/XM and got the fin that included GPS. Can't recall what the GPS looked like, I just left it disconnected.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Premium
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I ordered 86321SG321TQ which is the "320" series in color TQ. It should have had the GPS connector. Not sure if the part was mixed up in the wrong box or I ordered the wrong part.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Premium
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I had so many threads in my original research on the topic, and somehow I either saw this and forgot about it, or never saw it in the first place. I ordered the antenna 86321SG321TQ not 86321SG300TQ, and this is what I got.

Three wires:

I ordered the three segments of feeder lines to the antenna. The parts I have are

86326SG260 (rear),
The rear segment that attaches to sharkfin pigtail:

It has the plug for GPS from the sharkfin:

It connects to the middle segment with one 3 coax connector, and maybe a ground or other wire:

86325SG240 (mid),
The side connecting to the rear segment:

The side connecting to the front segment: it also has a plug midway(not pictured), maybe the dome light or moonroof motor

86325SG250 (fr).
The side connecting to the middle segment:

Main 2 coax connector close up:

Front to radio connectors:

Radio connector close up: (Need to adapt this to standard antenna and xm antenna)

Radio GPS connector:

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Premium
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just to update for posterity, there was one additional factory segment of wiring needed from the last two pictured connectors. I'll try to find which part number, but it is the antenna wiring 'last mile' to the radio. The connectors and required adaptors are pictured below.
Maestro Acc-SAT-TO2 Sat Radio Antenna Adaptor (comes with 3 adaptors, not all used).
Maestro HRN-ANT-SAT1 FAKRA to Aftermarket SMB Satellite Radio Antenna Adaptor
AM/FM antenna w/ 12v power for booster adaptor (looking for actual part ordered)(not pictured)
USB port adaptor

1 - 10 of 10 Posts