Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Observations: On long trips the temp gauge is reading 212F. Is this normal?
Concerns: @ 40K looking to mitigate oil blow by, and heat soaking.
Seeking inputs from the forum with respect to the following changes - baseline vehicle is stock without modifications
1) Top mounted intercooler - seems like the Mishimoto is the most production like product - inputs?, gains? worth the change?
2) AOS - There are many from the simple Perrin to the IAG - which is the easiest to maintain, install and most reliable?

I'm planning to purchase the COBB just to monitor the readings and feedback -
For the D2D in Northern SFBay Area - I suspect cooling is not an issue, but if I plan trips to NM, AZ or Utah - thoughts?

TIA

jack ~

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
15,102 Posts
Long life and modding for more power = mutually exclusive. Which is most important to you? To me...the power is fine, general driving...I use very little boost. Every week or two I will redline it in 1st and second.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
41,696 Posts
@jg99v welcome to the forum from Oregon!

Please complete your "Public Profile"! Not completing your Public Profile could result in your thread(s) being closed... locked or your thread post(s) being deleted!
Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
FOTM Moderator
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
3,683 Posts
Keeping a longer life will mean - as mentioned - not upping power output or doing slightly extreme (is that an oxymoron?) mods... Lifts or lowers to extreme levels, remapping ECU and other mods can have an adverse effect to long life as you're changing parts for better _ that other parts that connect to were not engineered for ... Example - a larger lift (say 2 inches or more) will put excessive wear and tear on driveline components (axles, CV joints, etc.) that they were just not engineered for.

But moderate changes will have less adverse reactions and less problems - generally...
Swapping out better performing parts (like the intercooler) may actually have gains to longevity - as long as you install properly and follow the guidelines...

·
Registered
'14 Forester XT Touring
914 Posts
....I assume you have a XT right?
Cause why would you put an innercooler on top.....

Anyway.. Top mounted innercooler is the worse thing subaru has come up with. Even if you have the top of the line aftermarket innercooler, It will still get heat soaked just by sitting in traffic for 20+ minutes. If you really want head soak gone, then go front mounted inner cooler.
AOS, eh, Unless you are cranking up the boost or have some type of tune, go for it. Honestly is just a flashy money pit.

Oh.. by the way 212 degrees is perfectly normal.
My '14 XT did a road trip from California to Texas in August heat, average speed 75-80mph with AC full blast full cargo loaded. The so called oil temp was 220 average, max temp it reached was 240 in Phoenix traffic. But that was with Subaru oil, My next trip to LA was with Mobile 1. Oil temps ever reached over 220, at 80+ mph.

TLDR: your oil temps are normal. Use better oil.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
15,102 Posts
My next trip to LA was with Mobile 1. Oil temps ever reached over 220, at 80+ mph.
TLDR: your oil temps are normal. Use better oil.
I can assure you the Mobile had no evvect unless you went to another viscosity. Or the weather was different.

·
Registered
'14 Forester XT Touring
914 Posts
@adc
lol my calibrated butt dyno says other wise. I get it, it was just my comparison. Could it have a slight 10% difference from fresh new oil than the months old oil in the engine? Maybe. Butt dyno's hardly lie, am I right? (that was a joke, incase no one got it.)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts