Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Count me as another. Never had any driving problems. Bought forester new, 2014 2.5 premium. But at 131,000 miles it threw the codes P0700, P2762 and P2763 (torque converter clutch solenoids). Solenoids all in the valve body and had to replace out of warranty for ~$1400. Had CVT fluid changed at 120,000 mile service interval.

Not happy about it. But can live with it if the torque converter and rest of cvt can hold up for another 100,000 miles. Really like the forester, but have to consider if I'm going to get rid of it now.
Count me as another. Never had any driving problems. Bought forester new, 2014 2.5 premium. But at 131,000 miles it threw the codes P0700, P2762 and P2763 (torque converter clutch solenoids). Solenoids all in the valve body and had to replace out of warranty for ~$1400. Had CVT fluid changed at 120,000 mile service interval.

Not happy about it. But can live with it if the torque converter and rest of cvt can hold up for another 100,000 miles. Really like the forester, but have to consider if I'm going to get rid of it now.
I also got the P2763 at 105K miles. Going yo run me $1300 fir the valve body and harness (which is on order).

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
1,662 Posts
Well, to be perfectly fair… 125 K miles is well above the 100K mile extended warranty, and a 2014 model is well beyond the 5 year time frame of the drive train warranty period.

While it certainly would have been nice for them to cover this failure, they definitely weren’t under any obligation to do so…

·
Registered
2014 XT Forester (Turbo 2.0)
1 Posts
Proud owner of 2014 XT Turbo Forester. At 151K, Subaru in Edmonton AB Canada, replaced CVT valve body, topped the fluid, bled & adjusted fluid and performed relearn all under warranty. Question: Do I trade in now or pray it doesn't happen for another 150K ?

·
Registered
13 forester 2.5 & 14 XT 4eat/ CVT
161 Posts
Thats a tough call in theory should be good for awhile. I actually sold my 14xt today. Its was an offer I could not refuse and was planning on selling when the CVT warranty expired.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got the xmas lights today with code P2764 for my 2014 Forester. I am at 120K. I understand I need to replace the valve body. I saw another user on another subaru forum at a 175K called SOA and they covered his labor at least so I gave it a shot and got $0 help. They said I am over the 100K so there is nothing they can do for me. This sucks. The dealer is asking for $1750 to do the repair. Everything that has gone wrong with my 2014 Forester seems to happen right when they are out of warranty. Hatch support fell right off a few days ago luckily the extended warranty on that ends here in November.

·
Registered
2013/14 2.5i-L CVT
987 Posts
The valve body solenoids are readily available for under $200. Usually only one has failed, most often the torque converter lockup. There are YouTube clips showing how to replace them and most mechanics should be able to do it, especially those familiar with Subarus as the conventional EAT automatics have similar valve bodies, for a lot less than $1,700 - $2000

Info: http://www.atra.com/Gears/2014/2014-06/2014_6_14.pdf

Solenoid:

Youtube:

Youtube:

·
Registered
2 Posts
The valve body solenoids are readily available for under $200. Usually only one has failed, most often the torque converter lockup. There are YouTube clips showing how to replace them and most mechanics should be able to do it, especially those familiar with Subarus as the conventional EAT automatics have similar valve bodies, for a lot less than $1,700 - $2000

Info: http://www.atra.com/Gears/2014/2014-06/2014_6_14.pdf

Solenoid:

Youtube:

Youtube:
No mechanic around here want to touch to the CVT system. One transmission shop had it for an entire day and could not figure out the problem. My mechanic advised me to go to the dealer so I have no choice. I took it to the dealer and they are replacing the entire valve body. Took them three hours of testing to rule out any other issue.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
1,786 Posts
It’s not worth tearing open the engine to change one solenoid. If one has become toast, chances are that another will eventually fail.

Better to replace the entire valve body, of which there are two types. Top or bottom of engine. And it requires a relearn procedure.

Your best defense? Change your CVT fluid early and often.

61 - 73 of 73 Posts