Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

Premium Member
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At 95,000 miles I began to notice that my CVT would act strange when warmed up to operating temperature. The torque converter lockup which usually occurs around 20-25 MPH was delayed to 30 MPH and when lockup did occur, it was harsh.

I took the vehicle into the dealership and they kept it to investigate. Their first attempt did not replicate the behavior, but they tried again and were able to feel it. After having the vehicle for a few days, they "re-lined the transmission" with no success at fixing the problem. The next step in Subaru's troubleshooting was to replace the valve body within the CVT. The service manager said this problem would typically throw a CEL trouble code, but I had no warning lights or trouble codes.

After waiting over a week for them to replace the part and refill the fluid, they tested again and said the problem was fixed. I picked it up last week and have not had any problems since.

Subaru covered the repair under their CVT warranty extension. Out of curiosity, I asked how much this would have cost outside of warranty. The valve body alone cost the dealer $950. When you factor in a markup on the part, cost of the replacement fluid, and the required labor, I would estimate you are looking at ~$2,500 in repair costs if it were out of pocket.

As the vehicle approaches the end of coverage on the CVT warranty (will end in July or at 100,000 miles, whichever is later) I will have to assess whether I am comfortable owning the vehicle any longer with the potential repair costs.

Registered
2017 Forester XT Premium
Myself and a few others have had the CVT pump cover resealed and I suspect a lot more to come. SOA offered me a 7 year / 100K $0 deductible Gold plus plan. I probably was going to wait until the next gen Foz has had a few model years on it to trade, but I hear they may drop the XT.馃

Registered
2015 Forester 2.5 Premium CVT
Whew! I'm glad it at least happened under the extended warranty! (You know, that warranty that was not extended because of mechanical longevity concerns, but just to make people feel better... :surprise: )

Kind of scary, to say the least.

Mike

Registered
2014 XV Crosstrek
2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek @ 139,000 miles

Welp, it looks like major pain has come for me today. I did some very basic checks and ultimately brought it to a trans shop. From there I was told that the torque converter clutch solenoid is the cause of my pretty lights and will cost $1,788.40 after tax to fix it since I need a whole new valve body for this one part (unless
there are other problems when work commences). I brought it to another trans for a second opinion and to the dealership.

These are the prices I got:
Subaru local- $1,772.10 (after taxes) [12mth , 12,000 mile warranty]
Subaru (1hr away) - $1,394.47 (after taxes) [12mth , 12,000 mile warranty]
Local Mechanic - $1,155.23 (after taxes [only warranty on mistakes of labor]
Trans Shop - $1,494.71 (after taxes) [no warranty]

The local Subaru here will take parts that I order for cheaper, which I will get from a different dealership, which would make the total $1,245.54 (after taxes). The only concern is that they will NOT offer a warranty. Is that really a big deal... not having a warranty?? It would save me $400! I'm also wondering if it's safe to get a non Subaru mechanic to do it.... I'm worried about other issues that may happen after installation.. is there usually concern about after problems due to the VB change? Thanks.锘

Registered
2014 XV Crosstrek
Maybe the lack of warranty is because you are supplying the parts?

If the dealer 1 hour away provides the parts and then gives you a warranty it looks like $150 buys you piece of mind? :thumbsup:
It does and that's exactly why I would get no warranty. A friend of a friend is going to replace the entire transmission instead. I've been told and read that replacing the transmission is a more long term fix approach. That's what I'm working on.

Registered
2014 XT Touring
Dropped off my 14 XT Touring yesterday with the codes P0700 and P2762. I didn't hear from them at all yesterday. I decided to go ahead and email SOA to get that ball rolling just in case they won't replace the torque converter and valve body under the warranty. Wish me luck!

Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i
Count me as another. Never had any driving problems. Bought forester new, 2014 2.5 premium. But at 131,000 miles it threw the codes P0700, P2762 and P2763 (torque converter clutch solenoids). Solenoids all in the valve body and had to replace out of warranty for ~$1400. Had CVT fluid changed at 120,000 mile service interval.

Not happy about it. But can live with it if the torque converter and rest of cvt can hold up for another 100,000 miles. Really like the forester, but have to consider if I'm going to get rid of it now.

Registered
2015 Forester XT
'15 XT, 58,600mi; after starting the car and accelerating forward it would struggle and jitter but no other indications. After I got through 10 mph all the symptoms went away. Driving home on the highway the check engine light show started with the addition of the A/T Temp light. Thankfully I was right by the dealer so after stopping for a few minutes to cool down the transmission (in case that was the issue) I was able to limp it to the dealership. Turns out it was the valve pack. Thankfully I still have my power train warranty and the 100k CVT warranty so dodged the bullet on an expensive repair.

Interesting to see that this I have much lower mileage than most other cars here. Wonder if it's just more time oriented than miles?

Registered
2014 XS CVT
MY 2014 with 97k miles, started jittering 2 weeks ago with slight acceleration between 20 -30 MPH. A week ago finally had the christmas lights all over the dashboard as described above with code P2763. Sadly the warranty in Mexico is just 62k miles. I'll try replacing the damaged solenoid only with a new one in a local shop. I'll keep you posted.

Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
This is so wrong. I know that cars are mechanical short term purchases but having to live in fear that our Subaru May suffer a catastrophic demise before it even reaches 100k miles is absurd. We should not have to drive thinking that at any moment, our cvt transmission is going to fail after spending our hard earned money. Subaru needs to do more than just offer a 100k mile CVt warranty.

Registered
2017 Forester Touring CVT
This is so wrong. I know that cars are mechanical short term purchases but having to live in fear that our Subaru May suffer a catastrophic demise before it even reaches 100k miles is absurd. We should not have to drive thinking that at any moment, our cvt transmission is going to fail after spending our hard earned money. Subaru needs to do more than just offer a 100k mile CVt warranty.
All in the name of 鈥渓ove鈥 and minuscule mpg increases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
2016 Forester 2.5i (Base) CVT
So I guess I'm part of this crowd too.
I had the valve body done at 46,000, just a couple months ago. I attached my service invoice too because I'm not sure if they changed the cvt fluid or not maybe someone can advise by looking at the invoice.

I didn't think too much of it at the time but now I'm beginning to wonder.

Sent from my LM-Q710.FG using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 86 Posts