Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the CVT come with a transmission cooler? If not, has anyone added one?
I would like my CVT to last as long and to make it as "bulletproof" as possible. I know heat to be one of the greater enemies of a transmission, so in theory, a cooler is a great preventative measure.

Thoughts and opinions on this matter is appreciated.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the link.

That's interesting, I wonder if I could buy and install it through my dealership. .

Does anyone know if there are existing threaded openings on the CVT for this optional auxiliary transmission oil cooler?

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
80 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Subaru Forester XT CVT +/- 205000km
8 Posts
I recommend to you monitor your CVT temp before do that. Depend on your driving condition and environnement climate!
If you drive offroad in arizona or drive in Canada north, think is better longevity in cold climate.
Me install OBD bluetooth reader ''VEEPEAK'' with car scanner on IOS and i find way to know my CVT temp live in my forester.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT
175 Posts
I recommend to you monitor your CVT temp before do that. Depend on your driving condition and environnement climate!
If you drive offroad in arizona or drive in Canada north, think is better longevity in cold climate.
Me install OBD bluetooth reader ''VEEPEAK'' with car scanner on IOS and i find way to know my CVT temp live in my forester.
View attachment 526916
That looks good!

May I know what is the name of the app that you downloaded from Apple store ? Is it free of charge?

·
Registered
2014 Subaru Forester XT CVT +/- 205000km
8 Posts
It's free but if you want more detail or function you can purchase the pro version for few bucks. Appstore ''Car scanner''

·
Registered
2015 Forester CVT
629 Posts
Does the CVT come with a transmission cooler? If not, has anyone added one?
I would like my CVT to last as long and to make it as "bulletproof" as possible. I know heat to be one of the greater enemies of a transmission, so in theory, a cooler is a great preventative measure.

Thoughts and opinions on this matter is appreciated.
The thing on the right side of the transmission is a heat exchanger. It stabilizes the transmission temp. I ran my transmission fluid through the heat exchanger then through a third party air to fluid cooler in front of the radiator so the transmission will still warm up quickly. I use a thermal valve that stays mostly closed until transmission fluid is up to operating temperature. The secret is getting the right hoses connected to the right fittings and adding trans fluid for the extra volume of the line and cooler.

GD

·
23 Posts
I added one on my 3.6 CVT Outback.

It had a heat exchanger built into the bottom of the radiator, a stand alone water to oil exchanger, and an air to oil cooler in front of the radiator.

Even with all that I could still get it pretty hot:

I plumbed another air to oil cooler in series with the factory one. Essentially giving the factory one more capacity. Pretty straight forward.

I don't have any worry with over cooling because of the two existing exchangers.

Might be a different set up on the Foz.

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
63 Posts

2014 Subaru Forester 2.0 XT with CVT transmission.

At 76500 miles I had the Subaru tS JDM CVT Transmission Cooler Kit installed by my local Subaru Dealer. Supposedly this will help the CVT transmission last longer.

The kit was purchased from SubiSpeed
www.subispeed.com

Subaru tS JDM CVT Transmission Cooler Kit - 2014-2018 Forester XT
This CVT cooler kit can extend the life of your transmission and provide peace of mind for track days or hauling a trailer in your Forester. It is an authentic Subaru part imported from Japan. Comes with all items seen in pictures.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i CVT
678 Posts

2014 Subaru Forester 2.0 XT with CVT transmission.

At 76500 miles I had the Subaru tS JDM CVT Transmission Cooler Kit installed by my local Subaru Dealer. Supposedly this will help the CVT transmission last longer.

The kit was purchased from SubiSpeed
www.subispeed.com

Subaru tS JDM CVT Transmission Cooler Kit - 2014-2018 Forester XT
This CVT cooler kit can extend the life of your transmission and provide peace of mind for track days or hauling a trailer in your Forester. It is an authentic Subaru part imported from Japan. Comes with all items seen in pictures.
This is sweet but a little pricey, nice that it's got everything included and steel hardlines not just rubber hoses all the way to cooler and back! Thanks for the link!

Yes USA Foresters with CVT have a oil to water transmission cooler stock, but it's ime woefully inadequate! Just had second CVT drain and fill at 60k miles and fluid was filthy and stinky dirty!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts