Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 XT CVT, 09 WRX MT
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to replace the muffler on my Forester...
& I got the idea to upgrade the exhaust system & the air intake at the same time :)

1. Invidia Q300 Catback Exhaust
2. Mishimoto CVT Catted J-Pipe
3. Mishimoto CAI
4. GrimmSpeed WRX/FA20 15+ EBCS
5. Cobb Accessport – most likely with eTune after reading few posts (ie Mtuned)

Is it too much power for the CVT?
Do you recommend to install a transmission oil cooler (ie Mishimoto).
Do you have any other recommendation for that kind of setup.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
808 Posts
Is it too much power for the CVT?
That will depend entirely on the tuner. Any decent tuner can tune what you are suggesting for more power while keeping it below the threshold of what the CVT can handle. From what I've read, the important thing is to keep it below 300 ft/lbs of torque.

I've been debating doing the Mishimoto CAI on mine, but I vacation on the Outer Banks where there is often a lot of fine, blowing sand. I don't really trust the oiled fabric filters in that environment.

·
Registered
2015 XT Touring CVT
645 Posts
save the intake money. under 350hp it just makes noises, no power gains. I'd also look into other Jpipes; alot of people on the wrx groups have had issues with the mishi jpipes cracking. I have a tune from Mike at Mtuned and he has a ton of experience tuning CVTS so your fine there. if you have e85 by you a e30 tune and a used axle back takeoff will make the same power for a $150 fuel pump and tune cost.

·
Registered
15 XT CVT, 09 WRX MT
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
save the intake money. under 350hp it just makes noises, no power gains.
I prefer a quiet XT... it's the family car.

I was under the impression that the air intake help the flow... slight bump in the performance.
The local shop around here is called ''Lachute Performance'' & their Stage 1 is a J-Pipe, K&N + a MAP. Add a Catback (Turboback) & it's a Stage 2.
They are only selling kit for WRX & I don't want to cut my bumper...
link: Lachute Performance - Stage 2 - WRX 2015 - 2021

I'll probably go with a full Invidia turboback following your recommendation w/out the CAI & EBCS. Thanks!

We don't have any e85 yet up in the north.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Numskull50, what setup You recomended( I have forester xt 2015 ,same as Yours)? what numbers Your have/recomended ?
now I have only stage 1, and thinking about cobb jpipe and tune(dyno?)
thanks
ps. You can send me pm

·
Registered
2015 XT Touring CVT
645 Posts
I'm running the N1 with an ETS intake for the WRX. I have an AEM e85 fuel pump because mine started to die and it was cheaper to buy this than an oem replacement. I did an Etune so not sure on power figures. I don't see the need for the Jpipe personally and it makes the car too loud for my quiet neighborhood and at the end of the day its an still an suv not a sports car. you can get to about 300whp with the Jpipe and tune or an e30 tune any more and your risking the cvt. replacement cost is $8k.... and tuned its not covered under warranty anymore.

·
Registered
15 XT CVT, 09 WRX MT
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have only stage 1
Not sure if it will influence your decision...

-Stage 1 is usually a CAI with a tune or a J-Pipe, better air filter with a tune (approx. 255 whp, 270 wtp)
-Stage 2 is usually the full turbo back (approx. 315 whp, 330 wtp)

I asked my local tuner for a stage 2 tune & the answer is a big NO due to the CVT.
He told me he will give me a good stage 1. If I want to add the little extra like the J-Pipe or CAI, ect it's more for the sound.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok
1st stage usually is cobb accessport (and optional intake), but im thinking about "your" option means jpipe and dyno tune. when ask my friend, You can do up to 300hp with first option.

so what means "good stage 1"? no jpipe? only tune?

·
Registered
15 XT CVT, 09 WRX MT
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's really up to your tuner & how he will optimize the performance
Lachute Performance recommend a J-Pipe, Upgraded K&N filter with a custom Ecutek Tune. This is what they called a Stage 1
They told me that I can add other components (ie, catback, CAI, EBCS) but they won't push the tune due to the limitation of the CVT

Here is a simple stage 1 tune: Dyno Tested: 2015 Subaru Forester XT AEM Intake, Grimmspeed EBC Solenoid and Snail Performance Cobb Pro Tune
He is pulling 244 whp & 287wft-lbs (approx. 344.4 ft-lbs at the crank)

There is another guys on the forum called "Freakshow999" on the forum running a stage 2+ & he got 260 whp & 310 wtp (372 tp)
link: ('14-'18) - Transmission cooler for CVT...

This is above the 300 threshold in both case... not sure what happened with the transmission

I was curious to understand the 300 threshold so I did a little bit of research & I found this info:
In theory the CVT is good for 400nm (295.02 ft-lbs) as per this website: 無段変速機 - Wikipedia
Please don't laugh... I know this is Wiki Japan

I'm also following the Youtuber called "The Human Car Jack" he just released a new video with a fresh tune
His tuner did a 294 whp & 250 wft-lbs (300 ft-lbs) & he is talking about limit (edge) of the tune due to the CVT (torque)
Here is the link for his video:

At the end I think it's important that you discuss with your tuner

·
Registered
15 XT CVT, 09 WRX MT
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
many in the US are tuning for emissions defeat devices anymore after an enforcement crackdown.
Including Mtunded: "NO, Do not purchase a tune if you have TGV deletes."

I realized that just a simple tune without any mods is already doing a good job:

Stage 2+ is too aggressive for a CVT
  • Dyno Tune
  • LP Turboback
  • LP Flow air intake
  • TGV/EGR delete
  • EBCS
  • 94 octane.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Memories of our WRX Sti
Fun.
I was navigator.
She bought it with a Cobb on.

at Subie meets there was lots of talk about tuners. Talk to one person, a tuner was best. Walk a bit. Talk to another and they used that person and blew their engine.

It's a risky business. Reminds me of CB times. Lots of talk. Little truth. Except taking your finals out of a CB radio is a lot cheaper than blowing an engine.

And--talk about visual inspections here. Car stops. Any changes? then they look hard. Straight pipes? Big problems.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
11 Posts
That will depend entirely on the tuner. Any decent tuner can tune what you are suggesting for more power while keeping it below the threshold of what the CVT can handle. From what I've read, the important thing is to keep it below 300 ft/lbs of torque.

I've been debating doing the Mishimoto CAI on mine, but I vacation on the Outer Banks where there is often a lot of fine, blowing sand. I don't really trust the oiled fabric filters in that environment.
Mate,
Blown motor after tune
CAUTION

·
Registered
15 XT CVT, 09 WRX MT
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I decided to proceed with :
-Invidia Turboback (Catted J-Pipe, Q-300 Catback)
-IBR TGV/EGR delete
-GS EBCS
-IAG AOS street series

I'm just waiting to get my catback... bo since june.

I was looking at M-Tuned, PhatBottiTuning & AmBotTuned website & they are all talking about intercooler...

Should I order a TMIC with or without a charge pipe? It's a lot of money but I don't want to hit a wall when I'll get my tune...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts