Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, I'd like to apologize for posting something that I'm sure has already been discussed repeatedly. I've searched the forum and seen that a lot of you have had the same problem, which is not surprising, but I also want to see, now that some time has passed since this issue first broke, what kind of experiences you all have been having more recently.

Here's the story. I bought a 2014 Forester XT Touring on 4/19 with a little over 115,000 miles on it. Super clean, dealer maintained, one owner car. I didn't know about the CVT issue at the time, so I didn't ask whether it had been dealt with or not. Absolutely in love with the car, one of the best I've ever owned. Fast forward to last week, driving home from work and the dash lit up like a christmas tree. Trusty code reader told me it was P2762 and P0700, quick Google search and I learned about the club I had just joined. I called Subaru Corporate and they told me I would be on my own since I'm over 100K and the grace period for higher mileage cars ended last July on this deal. I've seen a lot of talk, and I tend to agree, that extending the factory warranty to cover is kind of a [email protected]$$ fix on Subaru's part and this should probably have been a recall. Seems to have affected a lot of cars, enough to warrant a recall in my mind.

Anyway, the question I have is, what have all of your experiences been with getting this issue taken care of? I know some people have gotten Subaru to "goodwill" the fix, essentially warrantying it in spite of it being out of warranty, and I'm hoping I can get the same thing. The dealership I bought it from sold it as-is, so legally they don't owe me anything and I don't expect anything, but they're going to be taking a look at it this weekend and I'm hoping I can get them to help with the repair as well as a show of good faith.

If all else fails, I can easily do the work myself, and I'd be looking for recommendations on where to get the best deal on a new valve body to get this dealt with. I have cleared the codes with my scan tool, but even with the light off the code is there in the background. I'm in some sort of safe or limp mode, because the transmission is CVT only even in sport sharp when it's supposed to be an "8 speed auto" and the paddle shifters don't work at all, it's 100% CVT all the time. I don't seem to be getting full boost either and my mileage has been low.

OK so I didn't set out to write a book but this is what I'm dealing with and these are the questions I've got. I've seen a lot of knowledge around this forum and I'm hoping you all can help!!

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
2,510 Posts
If they already said no, as you stated, you are likely SOL.
Your story is one of many and a major reason I won't buy a CVT car, despite what Consumer Reports says.

You can find a used CVT but they are not cheap unless you compare that with the $10,000 dealer charge.

I would poke around to find out what's available for your model year trans and go for a replacement rather than repair.
Good luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
joining the club with my 2017 Touring. Driving on the interstate the other day, CVT shredded its internals, got the christmas lights on the dashboard and had it towed in. Fortunately i'm still under warranty at only 41k miles and 4.5y. Just waiting for them to get a replacement.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts