Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter has a 2014 Forester w/ over 100K miles & was told by Subaru dealer that the transmission needs to be replaced. Her independent warranty company said that they are allowed to use used parts for repair. The Subaru dealer said they will not install a used transmission. If anyone can be of help with information I would greatly appreciate it. I have never had to deal with "used" transmissions, so I don't know what to think about that idea. I understand that rebuilding a CVT trans is not an option. We don't know what to do???
Help,
Kev

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i
301 Posts
how much over 100,000 miles? if only a little maybe call soa. maybe they'll give you a partial to use on a trade in. once the car is in the dealers hand they'll suprisingly use a jy trans. secondly will that waranty company give you a monetary donation to put towards a rebuilt? i highly doubt it but maybe you can ask how much were you going to pay for the used stuff . i really can't see anything in the junkyards being any good since they're failure prone to begin with. good luck.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i Limit CVT
300 Posts
Did they say used or will it be remanufactured? Agree with soa route.lf that doesn't work see if you can find a well reviewed local independent shop. I don't use the dealer for anything other than warranty work.. Too many bad experiences.

If you don't mind my asking.. Did you buy it used and was the tranny oil ever changed?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
1,357 Posts
I’d suggest closely examining the 3rd party warranty contract in detail. Many of these so-called warranties don’t end up being worth the paper the contract is printed on, while a few of them actually do a decent job of covering repairs. That’s a good starting point.

Theres a big difference between a used transmission that’s been certified as being 100% functional and one just snatched out of a vehicle at a wrecking yard. Understand what the company’s obligations (if there are any) are and what rights you have/don’t have under the terms of the contract… then go from there.

How long has she owned the vehicle? What mileage did the vehicle have when she bought it?

·
Registered
2014 Forester
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how much over 100,000 miles? if only a little maybe call soa. maybe they'll give you a partial to use on a trade in. once the car is in the dealers hand they'll suprisingly use a jy trans. secondly will that waranty company give you a monetary donation to put towards a rebuilt? i highly doubt it but maybe you can ask how much were you going to pay for the used stuff . i really can't see anything in the junkyards being any good since they're failure prone to begin with. good luck.
104k I think. What is a jy trans?

I’d suggest closely examining the 3rd party warranty contract in detail. Many of these so-called warranties don’t end up being worth the paper the contract is printed on, while a few of them actually do a decent job of covering repairs. That’s a good starting point.

Theres a big difference between a used transmission that’s been certified as being 100% functional and one just snatched out of a vehicle at a wrecking yard. Understand what the company’s obligations (if there are any) are and what rights you have/don’t have under the terms of the contract… then go from there.

How long has she owned the vehicle? What mileage did the vehicle have when she bought it?
Thanks, will read the contract. She has had the car since November 2020.

Did they say used or will it be remanufactured? Agree with soa route.lf that doesn't work see if you can find a well reviewed local independent shop. I don't use the dealer for anything other than warranty work.. Too many bad experiences.

If you don't mind my asking.. Did you buy it used and was the tranny oil ever changed?

She bought it last November. I don't knoe the maintenance history. She said "used", so I'm not sure.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
1,357 Posts
Yes, Subaru has a 10 year/100K mile extended warranty, but the OP’s CVT is beyond that. Also, the vehicle was purchased November of last year as a used vehicle.

While I encourage the OP to give Subaru NA a call to ask for assistance, there isn't any reason to be overly optimistic that they will provide any financial assistance…. But, it never hurts to ask…

·
Registered
2015 Forester2.5i Premium CVT
1,299 Posts
Well, it's within the 10 years, and only 4k over the 100k, and the CVT warranty applies to used cars too, so a call to SOA is definitely in order.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Agree, soa is good shot. Having the exact same car with exactly same mileage, am curious what they will do for you

·
Registered
2000 Forester 4eat
116 Posts
I do know of a transmission shop in the Portland Oregon Metro area that can and does rebuild CVT transmission from Subaru. They said that Subaru makes most all parts avaliable for a rebuild.

·
Registered
185 Posts
SO MUCH MISSING INFO......

Why did the dealer say she needs a new transmission? Car was acting funny and she brought it in? Or she came in for something routine like an oil change and the service advisor said hey your CVT is bad... ?

Original owner or recently purchased or?

·
Registered
2014 Forester
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
SO MUCH MISSING INFO......

Why did the dealer say she needs a new transmission? Car was acting funny and she brought it in? Or she came in for something routine like an oil change and the service advisor said hey your CVT is bad... ?

Original owner or recently purchased or?
The Check engine light & then the Subaru light show of dash warning lights with reduced performance. Dealer has agreed to install a recertified tranny, but they say that they don't like doing it because they don't last. One car didn't make it off the lot. They recommended getting the tranny replaced & trading it in before it fails again. In any case she will not have much faith in the new transmission after all this talk. BTW the warranty is through Autonation & they have been very rude & sarcastic. Unresponsive to the Subaru service manager & initially would only pay 8 of the 10 hours labor. They also wanted to pay only 60% of the initial cost.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
1,357 Posts
I don’t like to paint any industry with a broad brush, but from what I’ve seen over the years, 3rd party warranties (note: some dealerships peddle these as legitimate factory endorsed warranties, which is anything but the case) fall somewhere along the line between useless and worthless. Getting decent service from them is usually quite difficult… and sometimes impossible.

Most of the time, either get a factory authorized extended warranty (if you want an extended warranty at all), or save your money and stash it somewhere to cover possible future repairs.

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
1,367 Posts
Can they explain why a supposedly re-certified transmission will not last long in their books??? Who did the certification? Is the dealership really saying that their service department is rather iffy, and prone to making catastrophic errors during installs? Why should you have any more faith in their installing a new CVT, and frankly what guaranty do you have that that was properly inspected upon assembly? Have they even explained why your's failed???

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
2,497 Posts
It sounds like it's time to get a second (or third) opinion.
As @Kevin said, there have been quite a few posters who've had CVT issues caused by and corrected by replacement of the valve body solenoid.
While still expensive to repair at a dealer, it's relatively inexpensive compared with a CVT replacement.
I'd suggest you explore options beyond the dealer if SoA turns out to be a dry hole.

·
Registered
300 Posts
@DragonSubie7
I'm with him.. Time for another opinion.. Seems to be confirming my experiences that keep me away from using dealerships

1 - 20 of 20 Posts