Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just changed the front and rear differential fluid at 51,000 km. The rear fluid was vey black whereas the front fluid was still a golden colour, and in hindsight I probably could have skipped changing the front.

I was able to change the rear fluid without raising the car off the ground. The only issue was trying to free the drain and fill plugs for the first time. They are sure torqued on at the factory, more than the 36.9 ft./lb. specified for re-tightening.

To do the front differential I put the front tires on ramps and removed the transmission cover. While on the ramp and having better access, I used a breaker bar to just crack open the drain plug and the check plug. I then took the car off the ramps, jacked up the front passenger side of the car and removed the front tire. This gave me 'easy' access to the fill plug. I used three extensions and a long breaker bar to open the fill plug. I really had to torgue that sucker to get it loose, and with those extensions I had about 90 degrees of movement at the end of the breaker bar before the plug came loose with a bang.

I then lowered the jack so the front was reasonably level and I was still able to reach in and open the drain plug. After the draining was completed, I re-torqued the drain plug to 70 newton-meters as specified and removed the check plug. I was surprised that the small amount of oil that came from the check plug was dark coloured. I used a small pump (almost like a soap dispenser) to fill the differential until the fluid started running out the check plug. I then replaced the check plug and fill plug and tightened them both to 50 newton meters.

I used a GL-5 full synthetic 75W-90 gear oil as a replacement fluid.

I'll probably change the rear again at 75,000 km and leave the front until 100,000 km.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i Prem Automatic
275 Posts
How much oil did you use for each differential? I'm planning to check mine when I do my next oil change at 55k miles - not necessarily change, however, just check.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I'd highly suggest you change the rear diff sooner rather than later. It's notorious for becoming disgusting very quickly. I just did mine last week, and the year old fluid came out looking like trash. I had installed an elevated breather so I changed early just in case dropped material into the fluid.

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT Premium automatic
1,072 Posts
I just changed front and rear fluid on my 2015 2.5i with cvt trans
about 2 weeks ago. My car has 19k miles on it and the rear fluid came out very dirty and the front pretty dirty also. I am very glad I changed the orig. fluid. My thought on the rear looking dirtier than the front may be the front oil capacity is about 1.5x the capacity of the rear,so the rear fluid just works harder! ed

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts
How much oil did you use for each differential? I'm planning to check mine when I do my next oil change at 55k miles - not necessarily change, however, just check.
For the 2014 Forester 2.5i automatic:

Front diff: 1.43 US qts
Rear diff: 0.8 US qts

Ref: 2014 Forester OM, page 12-7

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i Prem Automatic
275 Posts
@crewzer - tracking on the manual, I'm curious if his actual amounts equaled the manual amounts.

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used about 2.2 liters overall as I drew this from a five liter container. I don't have the exact numbers for front vs. rear.

·
Registered
2017 Forester Limited CVT
22 Posts
I just changed the diff fluids in my 2017 Limited w/CVT.
1.)Gorillas did the torquing for the factory.
2.) 8mm hex on all plug except for the front drain, which was T70.

3.) Removed large plastic panel, which was mostly on drivers side, ~ 5 bolts (12 mm socket) and 2 plastic push pins. to access front drain and check plugs.

4.) Filled front through passenger side port, which required removal of plug using 8mm hex tool.

5.) I have about 600ml left from 3 quarts of oil. (2.25 liters used/ spilled). Buy 3 quarts. I used Supertech (Walmart) full synthetic @ about $7 /quart.

·
Registered
2017 Forester Limited CVT
22 Posts
I just changed the diff fluids in my 2017 Limited w/CVT.
1.)Gorillas did the torquing for the factory.
2.) 8mm hex on all front plugs except for the front drain, which was T70, 10mm hex on all rear plugs.
View attachment 524440
3.) Removed large plastic panel, which was mostly on drivers side, ~ 5 bolts (12 mm socket) and 2 plastic push pins. to access front drain and check plugs.
View attachment 524439
4.) Filled front through passenger side port, which required removal of plug using 8mm hex tool.
View attachment 524438
5.) I have about 600ml left from 3 quarts of oil. (2.25 liters used/ spilled). Buy 3 quarts. I used Supertech (Walmart) full synthetic @ about $7 /quart.

·
Registered
2016 Forester 2.5i
2 Posts
Did anyone replace the gaskets on the drain or fill plugs? just looking for the part number of them 2016 Forester base model

·
Administrator
15,762 Posts
G'day & Welcome @FP_Forester'16
pls complete your profile
For the best forum experience, we recommend completing your "Account Details". The optional information you enter there will display when members click "About" in your forum profile. You can also create a custom "Signature" that will display every time you make a forum post. The optional additional information you provide could mean getting forum member replies, or not..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts