Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Forester 25i CVT
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My partner has a 2014 Crosstrek, and I have been in the Crosstrek Forum without finding any info.
she took her Crosstrek for an oil change last week and we were stunned when the garage told us after that she will need new ball joints her next service, and her rack and pinion will need to be replaced. We were told this is a $3500 job, and for the work already done on this car....breaks....one rear wheel bearing....and bushings replaced on both rear struts, that perhaps she should just look for a new car.
this is a reputable garage that I myself have been going to for many years and I also take my Forester there.
The Crosstrek has just over 100,000 KM on it. Would a rack go that fast? What should we look for or ask/. How about steering wheel play?

·
Registered
2001 Forester
2,177 Posts
I'd ask them to show you proof of why you need this work done. Prior to e-steering, racks are replaced due to leaks, worn out inner tie rods. Ball joints? Ask them to show you their actually loose.

Brakes you cannot count as they are just normal wear and rear.

The other repairs sound like they are taking you for a ride, did you ask for proof those repairs are necessary?

I'd question what you call reputable garage here if they will not show you their proof, I smell something with this place.

·
Registered
2016 Forester 25i CVT
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd ask them to show you proof of why you need this work done. Prior to e-steering, racks are replaced due to leaks, worn out inner tie rods. Ball joints? Ask them to show you their actually loose.

Brakes you cannot count as they are just normal wear and rear.

The other repairs sound like they are taking you for a ride, did you ask for proof those repairs are necessary?

I'd question what you call reputable garage here if they will not show you their proof, I smell something with this place.
Yes, brakes do not count. The wheel bearing and rear strut bushings clearly needed replacing due to the noise they were making. Its the rack and pinion that floors me.
Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
2001 Forester
2,177 Posts
A rack shouldn't go that fast, if at all. I'd question what evidence the rack is bad. Rear bearing and strut mounts at 100,000km are a bit premature but not abnormal. The only abnormal item is the steering rack.

But I question the reputation of the shop.

·
Registered
2016 Forester 25i CVT
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Original rack cost around 800-1000$ US from the dealer. Labor shouldn't be 2.5k
Total repair stated of $3500 includes ball joints. I have a very hard time imagining ball joints and steering rack all at once. It is not like she hit a massive pothole at speed. The garage did not specify BOTH side ball joints but also no indication R or L sides

·
Registered
2016 Forester 25i CVT
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A rack shouldn't go that fast, if at all. I'd question what evidence the rack is bad. Rear bearing and strut mounts at 100,000km are a bit premature but not abnormal. The only abnormal item is the steering rack.

My partner and I have not talked about her car much lately, what with Christmas chores etc. But we talked about it yesterday and she told me, the garage told her the rack and pinion is "rusting". I would think everything under a car has rust on it, this being Northern Ontario and our winters. Is there any component on the rack prone to rust caused failure? How about the rod, etc on the end that connects to the wheel?

·
Registered
2016 Forester 25i CVT
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

We went back to our mechanic today as the Crosstrek was pulling to one side. the shop put the car up to confirm what they had seen 2 months ago.
We got a call from them. Subaru has a technical bulletin out, #04-21-18, dated July 24, 2018, regarding the rack and pinion and our exact case. There is a new Electric Power Steering gear box assembly designed to address a number of limited customer concerns regarding uneven steering effort when turning, In areas with high amounts of road salt corrosion may result and cause a portion of the gear box housing to crack if the vehicle were to hit a pothole or other road hazard.
This is exactly what has happened with our Crosstrek, and also resulted in wear to both lower ball joints. The crack in the steering gear box was right where the service bulletin had warned.
This faulty gear box applies to 2013 to 2017Crosstreks, 2012 to 2016 Imprezas and 2014 to 2018 Foresters.

So, Subaru was aware there could be a few problems, and came up with a new steering gear box assembly.So, it appears that my 2016 Forester is also affected.

Our mechanic suggested we talk to our local Subaru dealer, and we did but got nowhere. It is not a recall. The car is not under warranty (though it was when the bulletin went out) Plus we have been going to an independant garage (as per warranty schedule) and they have no record of our servicing. The only thing we can do is appeal to Subaru Customer Care.

The only good news was that the repair estimate was now $2800, tax included.

·
Registered
2001 Forester
2,177 Posts
@Northerner Wow, bummer I would press Subaru of Canada and see if you can negotiate some sort of goodwill partial payment or something. You got nothing to lose at this point.

·
Registered
2016 Forester 25i CVT
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@Northerner Wow, bummer I would press Subaru of Canada and see if you can negotiate some sort of goodwill partial payment or something. You got nothing to lose at this point.
I just emailed Subaru Canada Customer Care and I believe my partner will call. My 2016 Forester lease was up a year ago and I wanted a new one but decided to keep it awhile. This Pandemic makes shopping a chore.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts