Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

141 - 148 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
2018 FXT-T CVT / 2007 FXT 5MT
1,389 Posts
Goodness that hardrace failure looks bad. I'm going to have to check on the condition of mine now. What suspension are you running?

·
Registered
01 S, 04 XT, 14 XT
245 Posts
Goodness that hardrace failure looks bad. I'm going to have to check on the condition of mine now. What suspension are you running?
This was with RSR springs on KYB struts. Rough concrete (ie hard edge seams and breaks) roads. They were difficult to press in and the arm was heated to get round enough to get the bushings in, so the heat could have caused it to separate from the metal ring although the others are all fine. This happened in <5k miles. I talked to the guys at HardRace in FL and they were certainly open and took it very seriously, but since I wasn't interested in a warranty claim we didn't pursue it past that. I definitely don't want to try to badmouth them as a company.

·
Registered
2018 FXT-T CVT / 2007 FXT 5MT
1,389 Posts
I think that may be what happened. We used no heat but I had it done at a friend's shop where he had professional tools and presses and even fabricated the right sized adapter for the press and we have no problems to speak of.

I checked mine yesterday and they look as good as they day they went on, feel the same too so I think something may have initiated the failure with the install on yours. I'm on STI pink springs and factory shocks but I'm not sure lowering would cause an additional concern...if anything going lower puts less angle on the control arm which should be easier on the bushing.

·
Registered
2014 Subaru Forester Lineartronic High-Torque CVT
105 Posts
At 42,000 miles, the bushing on my 2014 XT finally went belly-up. Thankfully, I've found an independent Subaru mechanic that did the service for a great rate. My car's back to normal now!
Well, after having all four bushings replaced on the Lower Control Arms, and everything seeming back-to-normal for a while...my car feels very jittery again. My tires are fairly new, but still have about 2,250 miles to go until rotation. Should I have them rebalanced and do a four-wheel alignment to see if that helps? Do I need new shocks and struts (at only 42,700 miles, I would hope not)? Also, the steering wheel seems to dart away from me on bumps, etc. more than I can remember. Would love to hear what you all think...

Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
'14 XT stock 42k miles. Just had to have both front lower control arm rear bushings replaced. Out of warranty but I called Subie NA to complain. I don't off road and its cr*p I even have to think about such an issue with this many miles. (My opinion anyway.)

Took to Subie dealer shop in hopes of getting it done no cost. They seem to agree it's odd to have the go so early in life. Will let you know how it goes.

Not impressed.
2014 xt touring, 61,402 miles. same issue. corporate says not a normal occurrence, they need to read this thread. I got a $200.00 credit from corporate for repairs.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i CVT
674 Posts
Wanted to update on my LCA replacement after my HardRace bushing tore out of the arm, I ended up buying Dorman / Arnley-Beck (now the same company but selling under both names) LCA for 2011 STi. ~$135 each.

Aluminum casting and finish appear very high quality, bushings as well. I have oversize sway bar links so I had to drill out end link mounting tab holes, again material was very dense with no porosity. 20mm of caster is built into the STi arms, so as mentioned before I bought the Subaru 10mm spacer (and bolt) to get the stock 30mm caster offset. Fitment was excellent. Toe was way out (>3deg both sides) but aligned perfectly.

I utilize the brackets the STi arms interfere with so I cut and re-welded those to be able to keep them. I just cut and flipped the original perimeter rod bend, fit perfectly, see pic, someone who is a decent welder could do a much cleaner job.

Huge improvement in handling, steering is actually lighter with much better feel than the original style bushings but without the wandering in tracking that is so disconcerting with the OEM and even HardRace bushings.

Part # - 524-595 Dorman & 524-596 Dorman, Beck-Arnley sells the exact same parts with their own part number. The Dorman parts are slightly cheaper and have a better warranty (lifetime against defects). Partsgeek was the only place I found them but I didn't look very hard.
HardRace failure:
Thanks for the update! Too bad about the HardRace bushings failing too, were they pressed in only by pressing on the steel outer sleeve? If not that will cause premature failure.

Those Dorman/Beck-Arnley aluminum STI arms with urethane bushings looks very nice and good to hear there's not any metal porosity present even when you drilled the swaybar mount holes out.

Anybody have the part numbers for the bolts and spacers that are needed to go with the a-arms?

What brackets interfered? Didn't see in your pictures where the you welded, are you talking about the blue lower arm bolt brace or?

Stock rubber bushings are junk, big cut-outs to soften the ride for city folk and not nearly enough material to prevent premature bushing failure, bad design.

141 - 148 of 148 Posts