Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

121 - 140 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
09 forester
148 Posts
I just installed Front MevoTech LCAs on my 09, along with end links, stabilizer bushings, ball joints and bearing hubs. The car drives like new.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Premium CVT
32 Posts
Sorry for my novice question. If I get a new LCA that comes with a ball joint already installed, when I remove the old LCA, do I still need to remove castle nut and separate ball joint stud off LCA? Or can I just unbolt ball joint off the hub/knuckle and leave it on the old LCA?

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT
178 Posts
Jezz browsing through this thread it sounds like Subaru has another recall eventually on their hands especially if the Crosstrek and Ascent also use these crappy LCA bushings.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Touring
38 Posts
2014 Forster XT
70,000 miles

Just went to the shop to take a look at a shaking in the front end at highway speeds turning to the right and hitting a bump perfectly.

A month before this all happened I took it to Subaru and they told me they got it as close as they could before my trip to the beach. Not a good feeling before a trip but everything drove fine.

So today on the rack I found the inner bushing with the through bolt was extremely bad on the drivers side and starting to go bad on the right.

Is this under warranty??? Or do I just bight the fee and get them fixed outside of warranty?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Touring
38 Posts
^Definitely outside of warranty, but you could try to get them to "goodwill" repair it if you've never abused the vehicle.

All highway miles I got the car used from a Porsche dealership at 16k miles and was never offered a 3rd party warranty.

Is a “goodwill” repair a thing that dealerships do.

·
Registered
2014 Forester
1 Posts
Dear all,
It is a pleasure, I would like to introduce myself , I am new on this forum despite having a Subaru Forester since 2014 with 85 miles at the moment. A few months ago I began to feel some noises and unnormal vibration due to damage Bushings located in the front control arm. Spare parts ( 20204AG011, 20204AG030). I would like to confirm if it is normal to have to change these bushings with this amount of kilometers.

Best regards,
Francisco

·
Registered
2018 FXT-T CVT / 2007 FXT 5MT
1,383 Posts
Yes, they go out fairly quickly due to the quality of the OEM rubber. Newer part numbers used in 2016+ foresters are reportedly made of a softer rubber which is less prone to failure but at the cost of handling. Some of us have opted for aftermarket parts like hardrace which improve handling and theoretically may last longer but the verdict is out on that.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Touring
38 Posts
UPDATE::

The dealer called me today and said that they they would replace the bushings for free and give me a free alignment, but all I would need to do is buy the bushings and ball joints for both left and right side lower control arms.

He said it would be about $213.04 for the parts where as the complete new control arm is about $300 each.

He’s doing this because A: they guy doing the alignment the first time should have said hey I can’t get this done right because the bushings are bad. Rather he just said close enough it’s beer time. B: these shouldn’t go bad this fast he told me they had a 2018 with 22k miles and it was having the same problem.

Let me know what you think of this deal.

·
Registered
2010 Forester XS 4-AT
87 Posts
Don't waste time with oem bushings. Get aftermarket. Compare the pricing and advantages.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring
572 Posts
And now my other side has gone out. Kinda annoyed they didn't change out both when the left one went. Still under warranty so the STI LCAs will sit a bit longer collecting dust.

·
Registered
01 S, 04 XT, 14 XT
245 Posts
One of my pillowball bushings from Hardrace is separating from the sleeve, so now I'm back searching again. Not going to do another press in bushing on these low budget arms.

I see that both Mevotech and Dorman make STi type replacement arms, has anyone bought either with a solid part number and feedback on quality? From what I understand, any '08-present Impreza LCA fits with proper spacer and bolt?

·
Registered
2014 Forester Really...?
17 Posts
Wow I wished I found this thread sooner. I had to replace our LCA around the 68-72k mile mark, can't remember exactly when. I took it to the dealer and they told me the bushings were shot and I'm used to having bushings last at least 150k miles normally. The service tech told me that Subaru made them to be a consumable part.

So after some research I ended up ordering the Moog ones from rockauto and swapped them myself. I only needed the front left one and I just found the receipt where I paid $50.99 for it. The installation went quick and I think I swapped it out in about 45mins -1 hr.

I just checked and the part number was RK622857 for the front left lower and it's now $66.79.

I'm at 106k miles and so far no issues. But I'm expecting to replace them soon again since it's such a cheap piece.

·
Registered
2014 Forester
20 Posts
My 2014 FXT Touring is about to turn 259,000 miles and my front left control arm bushing has failed for the first time. How has it lasted through four severe Pennsylvania salt coated winters? Especially with me driving it like a rally car on our twisty washboard dirt roads with the 2" LP Aventure lift? Maybe because I use the car how Subaru intended instead of highway driving, weekly washings, and and lowering springs??? That has to be it. Now I finally have a good excuse to buy a shop press. I'm going to order the cheapest bushings eBay has to offer slap them in my original rusty control arms and pound the hell out of them on the fire roads in Colorado. Cheers!

·
Registered
2014 Subaru Forester Lineartronic High-Torque CVT
105 Posts
Hi everyone,

At 42,000 miles, the bushing on my 2014 XT finally went belly-up. Thankfully, I've found an independent Subaru mechanic that did the service for a great rate. My car's back to normal now!

·
Registered
01 S, 04 XT, 14 XT
245 Posts
Wanted to update on my LCA replacement after my HardRace bushing tore out of the arm, I ended up buying Dorman / Arnley-Beck (now the same company but selling under both names) LCA for 2011 STi. ~$135 each.

Aluminum casting and finish appear very high quality, bushings as well. I have oversize sway bar links so I had to drill out end link mounting tab holes, again material was very dense with no porosity. 20mm of caster is built into the STi arms, so as mentioned before I bought the Subaru 10mm spacer (and bolt) to get the stock 30mm caster offset. Fitment was excellent. Toe was way out (>3deg both sides) but aligned perfectly.

I utilize the brackets the STi arms interfere with so I cut and re-welded those to be able to keep them. I just cut and flipped the original perimeter rod bend, fit perfectly, see pic, someone who is a decent welder could do a much cleaner job.

Huge improvement in handling, steering is actually lighter with much better feel than the original style bushings but without the wandering in tracking that is so disconcerting with the OEM and even HardRace bushings.

Part # - 524-595 Dorman & 524-596 Dorman, Beck-Arnley sells the exact same parts with their own part number. The Dorman parts are slightly cheaper and have a better warranty (lifetime against defects). Partsgeek was the only place I found them but I didn't look very hard.

HardRace failure:

Attachments

• Image uploading. Refresh page to view
    2.5 MB Views: 35
  • Image uploading. Refresh page to view
    2.4 MB Views: 29

·
Registered
2014 Forester
20 Posts
I tried to press the bushings out of my control arms to install new ones. The rear bushings came out fine on both arms. The front bushings would not budge and I ended up deforming the control arms. Eventually I just ordered loaded Mevotech control arms from Rock Auto for about $70 each. They have both bushings and new ball joints. Now I have a set of spare ball joints and bushings lying around. I also had to cut my very rusted sway bar links off with an angle grinder so I replaced those with Mevotechs from Rock Auto too.

121 - 140 of 148 Posts