Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have issues with my control arm bushings going bad in my 2014 forester wanted to know if anybody else is noticing this issue as well, please let me know thank you

·
Registered
1 Posts
'14 XT stock 42k miles. Just had to have both front lower control arm rear bushings replaced. Out of warranty but I called Subie NA to complain. I don't off road and its cr*p I even have to think about such an issue with this many miles. (My opinion anyway.)

Took to Subie dealer shop in hopes of getting it done no cost. They seem to agree it's odd to have the go so early in life. Will let you know how it goes.

Not impressed.

·
Registered
213 Posts
i think my left front lca bushing is going out too. been making a squeaking noise that's progressively getting worse. then the other day, while coming down a steep driveway while braking at work, as i came to a stop, i heard some metal-metal grinding-squeaking happening. haven't had a chance to crawl under there to see what's going on but i'm sure something's wrong. car has lowering springs (Mann) on it, but, i'm sure that's not causing the problem.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have issues with my control arm bushings going bad in my 2014 forester wanted to know if anybody else is noticing this issue as well, please let me know thank you
Kickeram,
did you ever get your issue fixed? what were your symptoms and when do they occur? my left front LCA is getting worse and sounding really bad. probably going to take car in this week. problem is i have aftermarket lowering springs (not aggressive - Mann) and am worried a bit what they may say. let me know.

'14 XT stock 42k miles. Just had to have both front lower control arm rear bushings replaced. Out of warranty but I called Subie NA to complain. I don't off road and its cr*p I even have to think about such an issue with this many miles. (My opinion anyway.)

Took to Subie dealer shop in hopes of getting it done no cost. They seem to agree it's odd to have the go so early in life. Will let you know how it goes.

Not impressed.
Charles CLerke,
did you ever get your issue fixed? mine's gotten really bad. only 25k mi's on the car.

thanks

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
Both mine went out at 50k and 55k.

Pretty much shaking in the wheel or stopping. My friend suggested getting better bushings but the bushings are pressed in and can cause the arm to crack.

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
Interesting...I last month I started getting a front end shake/vibration but only on the highway and when I was turning the steering wheel to the right. If I was going straight or to the left, no issues. Though if the road was off camber and I was traveling straight ahead, I would occasionally get the washboard effect through the steering wheel.
Took it to Subaru, I'm still under warranty, and they found the left side upper control arm bushings, both inner and outer where bad. When the service manager looked under my 2014 XT he asked me where I got the aftermarket parts from (in a kind of blaming tone), he was referring to my Cusco front power braces, so I answered, from Japan ;) He said, oh ok.
They proceeded to replace the bushings and I was out of there in about 3 hours. I was told I got lucky because they normally don't stock those parts at the Bayridge (Brooklyn) location?? Anyway, she drives beautifully again. Being stage 2 doesn't hurt either! Shout out to @turbotekray

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hate to bump an old thread, but my Dad's '15 XT has the exact same issue. Fairly violent vibration at highway speeds when turning right. Unfortunately for us, our car has 76k miles so no warranty to speak of. Just to confirm, the Forester should only have a single front control arm, so it was just the bushings on that arm? There are front and rear bushings on the arm, but that's it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yes, there is only a one front control arm on each side. Two bushings on the chassis side of the arm and a ball joint on the wheel side of the arm.

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Had my control arm bushings replaced once at around 50k miles, but now it seems they are toast again at 120k miles. Getting the same vibration that others have mentioned at highway speeds going straight and really bad when slight right turns.

Also starting to hear a click/pop noise when turning hard right at slow speeds. Seems like I might have to replace a CV axle while I'm at it. Already had to replace the left front once around 50k. Also getting a little bit of a whine/howl at highway speeds and thinking I might need the front wheel bearings replaced as well.

Probably going to be pretty expensive to fix all of this. Wish Subaru made these components a bit more durable.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bushings went out

FYI... I just had to replace both Lower Control Arm Bushings on my 2014 XT (46k mikes). Seems like this is an early failure of the bushing based on normal city driving. Cost me over 1k USD.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Our Foz is lifted and abused regularly. We are on our 4th set of LCA bushings in 4.5 years and 70k miles.
OEM-lasted 25k miles w/ 1" lift, but failed fairly quickly after 2.5" lift.
Whiteline-(Don't remember price) too rigid for lifted applications; lasted <5k miles
Powerflex Caster Adjustable (~$200)-Lasted 25k miles with 2.5" lift
Powerflex Purple (~$90)- 3k miles so far, no signs of fatigue.

·
Registered
362 Posts
High Desert Silver, please let us know how long your powerflex purples last. Are LCA Bushings fairly easy to change out? I've been hanging out with some of the MtnRoo guys, and many of them drive their cars hard (rally race lifted subaru's, jumps), they take spare axles, tie rods, controls arms and they replace them in the field.

It was amazing to witness.

Although I have no intention of driving my vehicle that hard, changing out an axle like it was a spare tire seems like a valuable skill to have while adventuring.

So, if I can buy these powerflex purple bushings for $90 bucks and change them myself, it sounds pretty cost effective.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
UPDATE: Both front, driver side and passenger side, control arms were replaced by Subaru Orange Coast. The Subaru Gold Plus pays itself back again, $100 deductible rather than the quoted $1400. Seems early to be having this kind of suspension wear. Wish Subaru of America would notice. Either way, Matt Wooley took good care of my car, as usual. Thanks!

Getting vibrations when turning right at reasonable speeds, e.g. curve on the highway

Took pictures of the driver side control arm bushing. Passenger side is cracked too, but doesn't appear to be as bad as the one in the photo. :frown2:

1 - 20 of 145 Posts