Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester Limited CVT
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had my windshield replaced last week, and at first it seemed like the tech did a great job. No paint damage, no damage to the dash or interior. He even vacuumed and washed all the windows... BUT, as I was washing the car yesterday, I noticed that the two corner pieces that clip into the main cowling were loose. Turns out the tech replacing the windshield broke the clips that hold them down. I would have never noticed had I not been washing the car!

Double check that cowling!

·
Registered
2014 Forester Ltd. CVT
1,779 Posts
Yeah, I made the glass company replace the whole APiller cover on my 2010, when I had my first crack.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
179 Posts
I don't think there is away around that, but to replace them. It happened to me and another person that replaced their windshield on his 2014. I just used some double sided adhesive to keep them in place.

·
Registered
1999 Forester S Automatic
709 Posts
if they broke parts while installing the glass, the tech's company should pay for it. end of story.

·
Registered
2014 Forester xt prem Cvt
161 Posts
There's a cowling on the car? Cowling on aircraft are compartment doors or access panels. I guess I'll check my engine access panel after a windshield replace

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
23 Posts
My windshield cracked on my '14 and it will be replaced in a week or so (when they get the windshield in stock). Where are these clips so I can check them out after the install?

·
Registered
2018 Forester
5 Posts
If I'm reading this right, this is still a problem six years later.

I had my windshield replaced yesterday. The technician seemed highly competent, and he has been in that line of work for more than twenty years. When he was nearly finished, he showed me that the glass had cracked in the lower corner on the passenger side. He showed me this corner piece of plastic that pops in, the last part of the job—I assume that is the "clip" referred to above. He said that it often happens with Subarus, and that most manufacturers now use rubber for that part instead of plastic.

The company ordered a new windshield, which is supposed to arrive next week, but it isn't clear to me why we wouldn't face the same risk with it as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
For guys at my shop those plastic side panels are not an issue - they just put them back broken. As for broken plastic clips which holds cowl panel - throw away that garbage, why bother? One plastic tie is good enough for bay area 🤪

Update: guys told me that they just forgot to put clips back. They fixed everything, I tend to believe them but still have mixed feeling.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
1,568 Posts
Those side cowling covers always break. The clips are just too fragile. Almost no way around it. Subaru needs to update these parts. I’m referring to the snaps that are part of the covers. Not the push clips.

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
1,499 Posts
I will just add that if you call a Subaru dealer parts dept, they most likely have the part in stock and it's not very expensive -- something like $12 CDN. Speedy Auto Glass busted mine when installing the new windshield in April. The dealer was 2 blocks away, so I went and bought one and then returned to Speedy who reimbursed me and installed it for free.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts