Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester Manual
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to remove the lumbar support in the seats of a 2014 Forester. I test drove a 2014 base model and the seats were perfect. So I ordered a 2.5 Premium / Manual. I took delivery about a week ago.

I took a quick test drive and everything seemed basically perfect, got everything I needed in a car.

One big glaring issue though has popped up. The seats in the premium are completely different from the base. The lumbar support is just completely terrible. Even fully deflated the lumbar balloon is a major pain in my back.

Effectively I cannot drive more then a hour without wanted to tear my hair out. Any idea's on how to remove it or maybe bend it out of position. I think the passenger seat does not have the support button and at this point I would take swapping them as a option.

·
Registered
03 Forester 2.5X 4 Speed Auto
674 Posts
Why not just swap out the seats vs. trying to hack it apart to get to the lumbar support?

Go to the dealership or something. I'm sure they'd be willing to trade you some seats

·
Registered
2014 Forester Manual
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Subaru seat covers unzip. Why not have a look inside?
I did not now that they did, most modern cars are glue tacked in place or fitted using the plastic bag method.

I will pull them apart this afternoon then. I can always remove the lumbar balloon and if that does not fix it just add some foam on top and re-sculpt the seat.

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
1 Posts
I've had a 2014 XT for a few weeks now, and totally agree the lumbar is too much, even when completely deflated. I called an auto upholstery shop in my area and asked if they did "seat reshaping". Luckily, they do! They said all you have to do is come in and tell them about the seat and what you want to accomplish.

The lady I spoke with said they have a costumer who comes to them every time he buys a new car to fit the seats to him.

My list....
1. reduce lumbar/back curve. I can always turn the lumbar back up if needed
2. tuck the side bolster in just a little for a more supported fit
3. lower the rear of the seat (where it's bolted to the car) about 1 or 2 inches.

I'm not worried about lowering the back too much at all...the rear height adjustment is so liberal, that I could easily regain that "lost" height with the electronic adjustment, and keep going higher if I wanted. Currently, the back of the seat is completely lowered, and it still almost feels like I'm leaning forward.

All this for around a couple hundred dollars seems well worth it to me. I had a brand new glk350 for 5 months and traded it in because the butt part of the seat dug into my thigh. I kind of wish I knew about the auto upholstery shop before I got another car, but I'm kinda glad I ended up with the forester, because deep down it's what I actually wanted all along. Once I get the seats sorted out, I'll be in automotive heaven!

·
Registered
2014 Limited CVT
8 Posts
I just took delivery today in Boston MA, 2014 Forester Limited, my back really started hurting on my 45 minute drive home, that lumbar support is killing me. Has anyone had luck either fixing it themselves or having an after market upholster make a modification?

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
553 Posts
What's weird is that I found the seats very uncomfortable regardless of lumbar level when I was test driving them... (I felt that the lumbar support was too aggressive) but now that I own it, I actually like using the lumbar support. I sit much more upright than I used to in my Mustang. Perhaps it just takes some time to adjust to the more chair-like seating.

·
Registered
2014 2.5 premium 6 speed manual
86 Posts
Interesting perspectives, as I wound up getting the premium because of the lumbar support.

I thought the seat in the base model was awful, and the up/down adjuster felt like it was going to break.

·
Registered
2015 Impreza 5-Door Sport Auto (CVT)
2,351 Posts
Interesting perspectives, as I wound up getting the premium because of the lumbar support.

I thought the seat in the base model was awful, and the up/down adjuster felt like it was going to break.
I am a 166 lbs. and the up/down adjuster works fine, no problems.

When my wife uses the vehicle she pumps it up almost to the max. When I drive it, all I do is lower it. Works fine every time. She has her own car, but loves driving the new '14 Forester :icon_wink:

·
Super Duper Admin Guy
3,099 Posts
I feel my adjustable lumbar support does not do enough. The support available via my JDM seats in my RS are a night/day comparison.

I wish my XT had more lumbar support and side bolstering for my thin frame.

·
Registered
2014 Limited CVT
8 Posts
I have tried two cushions so far with no luck, both the cushion someone else on the forum suggested, and one from Relax the Back, not sure what to do now

·
Registered
2014 Limited CVT
8 Posts
If anyone is interested, I made some modifications to the lumbar support, on both the driver and passenger seats, increasing my comfort by about 80%.

If you unzip the seats from the back, you will see the two hooks that help hold in the lumbar area to the frame of the seat. By adding a new s-hook, wire or zip ties, you can increase the amount of give in the seat back in the lumbar area. I have not yet finished the mods and buttoned everything back up, but the seat is much more tolerable for me, and it only takes about 30 minutes.

I can post pics if anyone is interested

·
Registered
2015 CRV EX Automatic
124 Posts
If anyone is interested, I made some modifications to the lumbar support, on both the driver and passenger seats, increasing my comfort by about 80%.

If you unzip the seats from the back, you will see the two hooks that help hold in the lumbar area to the frame of the seat. By adding a new s-hook, wire or zip ties, you can increase the amount of give in the seat back in the lumbar area. I have not yet finished the mods and buttoned everything back up, but the seat is much more tolerable for me, and it only takes about 30 minutes.

I can post pics if anyone is interested

Way to go! Your 100% honest Posts regarding the seat comfort was something I paid attention to. Please look at Aerospace Engineering - Aeronautical Engineering - Aerospace Engineers | OregonAero.com

go to Portable cushions.

·
Registered
2014 Limited CVT
8 Posts
Here are the photos from the seat adjustment

Attachments

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
286 Posts
Great set of pics/instructions. Wouldn't loosening the band allow for the lumbar support to extend even further though?

The lumbar does not bother me but I would like to add more thigh and torso support. Does unzipping the back basically allow you to remove the entire seat cover?

Thx

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.0XT CVT
181 Posts
dif strokes for dif folks,
I need the back support due to bad back, so I like it although I do leave it at minimum adjust.... I agree it should deflate even more for others that do not want it so much.
Bottom cushion would be much better if another 2inches long!
Bolsters all around are flimsy, I wonder what will be like in a few years

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT Touring CVT
114 Posts
This.. This is my concern. I'm unsmall (270lbs unsmall) and I am worried that I'll be having the seats rebuilt loooong before anything mechanical goes south on the XT.. The seats, which I think are comfortable (yep takes all kinds), just feel like they won't hold up over time.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts