Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2014 F-XT CVT
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
all those w/ the Bilstein B6's installed on their SJ FXT's, did the slight bouncy suspension at slow-med speeds go away?

looking at getting the B6's. stk dampers are good at freeway speeds, but on surface streets, they're lacking in comfort.

thanks for the help.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I put the b6s on an sh, have used them on many other cars- they definitely have higher rebound dampening than a stock damper (except on a high performance vehicle like a BMW m or an Audi RS) so I would think it would get rid of bounce (which is rebound).

Sorry if that’s not 100% helpful, obviously someone with experience on your chassis will be best info. Hope you get an answer!

Reactions: duckboy

·
Registered
2014 F-XT CVT
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited by Moderator)
thanks, Mrfox. that's helpful. sounds like i do need SJ FXT platform input. the stock SJ FXT shocks do have a significant amount of rebounding damping. their high speed compression damping is quite high too. both of these combined are contributing to the bouncy behavior at low-med road speeds. at high road speeds, the suspension works good but could still be smoother. tough battle considering this is still and SUV.

anyone w/ input would be greatly appreciated!!!

·
Registered
2013 Forester 2.5XT Auto
115 Posts
FWIW from reading about the Bilsteins in other postw and looking through the info from Bilstein, the B4's are an OEM replacement and the B6's are a heavy duty design to also work with lowering springs. Hope that helps some of you!

·
Registered
39 Posts
also work with lowering springs.
This- The B6 has higher dampening rates than the stock dampers, it is made to work with a higher spring rate than the stock spring. Enough of a difference to get you where you want to be I can’t say.

Is your description of high rates on the oem damper seat of the pants or do you know the valve rates and oem spring rate? Also is the oem damper progressive or degressive? Not being snarky, my intent is that if you know these values you could figure out the difference in dampening force, and if the oem damper is progressive (cheap and typically bouncy over smaller bumps) you’ll get a better result out of a degressive design (like the B6).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts