Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 Forester. It has 2 power sockets - when in front where the cig lighter used to be and one in the center armrest compartment at the bottom. One is fused 10A, the other 20A. Both worked fine for my Verizon and all other chargers for my iPhone. But overnight, both sockets blow the fuses when ONLY THE CHARGER WITH NO PHONE ATTACHED IS PLUGGED IN. The fuse blow is instantly implying a direct short. But why both? Is is power socket design? These have worked just fine for 5 years. Also, the chargers that blow the Forester fuses work just fine in my wonderful Ford Fusion. Any ideas?
Jim

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
1,249 Posts
@jrhockin
I had a similar problem with the socket blowing fuses from a charger that worked fine.
I needed a fuse puller and got it out of the fuse box under the hood and found that a mouse made a nest in the fuse box, and it was causing a short.
Removed the debris... been fine ever since.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, I brought my 2014 Forester to a local very reputable shop and he spent some time removing and cleaning all the sockets, i.e. front console, arm rest, and rear. He could find nothing wrong. He informed me that the system seems to react like an overly sensitive GFCI. He did suggest that my Verizon charger may be bad, but it worked in my 2010 Ford Fusion. He told me not to use any chargers and order a new one so I ordered Anker 24W Dual USB Car Charger Adapter, rated a best buy from Amazon.

So I drove the car for the first time since the "repair" fiasco and lo and behold my old generic charger that also blew fuses WAS PLUGGED IN. It must have been left there by the mechanic. AND, it works fine!!! It blew fuses before. So...I think the answer must have been some type of short upstream from the two fuses in fuse positions 13 and 20. I have the wiring diagram. I think it is a break of some kind in an upstream wire, maybe where it contacts ground through a sharp turn rubbing metal that shorts through this dry crack??? Anyway from the wiring diagram, fuse #13 (20A) powers the armrest socket and the far back rear cargo compartment socket. Fuse #20 (10A) powers the right front socket of the center console where a cigarette lighter would be. These are BOTH powered upstream from the accessory relay.
So the mechanic and I combined facts and decided that it is some kind of a quirk that we cannot define. Just for the heck of it I will plug in my supposedly "bad" Verizon charger and let you know what happens. Personally I think it is fine. But all it can do is blow a fuse. Tony only charged me $145 for taking all 3 sockets out and cleaning them. I was very pleased and the charge was fair.

So the mystery of the phantom socket fuse problem is quirky to the Forester and maybe the Outback also? I will stay connected and let you know what happens with this. Thanks, JIM
I can send the wiring diagram if anyone is curious enough to try to sniff this out.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
1,249 Posts
@jrhockin
It's possible that in the removal process, a loose or shorting connection was eliminated just by repositioning the socket.
In any case, Merry Christmas!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts