Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2011 wrx
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 2.5i touring and was wanting to add remote start. My question is , can I utilize my current remote to start the forester? Or will I need a separate remote specifically for auto starting? Also, is installing the auto start pretty straight forward? Has anyone here installed the auto start on their 2014?

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring CVT
58 Posts
Couple of details

Yes, many people on here have done the install themselves ... I have not. It doesn't appear to be that difficult but there are a few things to know.

Do you have a key to start the car, or do you have the keyless start system (push button)?

As for your questions. Assuming you don't have the push-button, you will get an additional FOB for your remote start purposes. The FOB is better than previous years simply because it is 2-way and will let you know when the car is started. Nice. Also, the range is awesome so far.

There is a downside to the OEM remote start. The design implements a "safety feature" that will shut down the engine when ANY door is opened ... no matter how it is opened. So, if you are used to using remote start, opening the door, getting in the car, putting the key in and pressing the brake and driving away ... that is no more. The car shuts off when you open the door and you have to restart it with the key. There are a number of posts on how to bypass the door switches so the car doesn't know the door is opened, but I am not going to do that.

Also, the installation will require Dealer programming for the keys/fobs immobilizers. I don't know how much that costs, but I would assume anywhere between $45 and $90.

If you have a CVT with turn start only, then this is your installation guide: http://techinfo.subaru.com/proxy/72581/pdf/072581-H001SSG400FM5T-SRESIxIENFR20130527.pdf

If you have push-button start: http://techinfo.subaru.com/proxy/72125/pdf/072125-H001SSG8002014ForesterP-SRESIxIENFRRev1.2.pdf

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Premium CVT
109 Posts
Thats the same info I've heard so I'd tend to think e-ec-ecu has it right.

I will say that I did the install on a 2009 Legacy and the install steps looked very similar. I did have to have the system programmed by the dealer (this is so it works around the imobilizer system and acts like a key with a chip). The install was very easy but I rushed a bit and broke some of the plastic tabs that hold some of the dashboard panels in place. The plastic on my Legacy was softer than I expected and the tabs seemed like they didn't take much impatience to break a few. With a couple busted tabs everything still snapped back together fine. I'd do it again in a heartbeat but I'd be more careful with the dash panels on my second attempt.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts