Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2014 FXT
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
I have a 2014 Forester SJ XT. I am about to replace my OEM radiator, so I was looking for an upgrade to Mishimoto, CSF or Koyorad, but I only found radiator that fit WRX 2015 (which has same FA engine), but I read those radiators does not fit my SJ XT.
Did anyone did this upgrade? What other options exist?
Thanks!

· Administrator
21,196 Posts
G'day & Welcome @RonnieC

Search is your friend ;)

BTW
For the best forum experience, we recommend completing your "Account Details". The optional information you enter there will display when members click "About" in your forum profile. You can also create a custom "Signature" that will display every time you make a forum post. The optional additional information you provide could mean getting forum member replies, or not..

· Registered
2016 Forester XT
222 Posts
RonnieC has a legit question here that's not answered in the forum. I am not able to find any radiator upgrade options on the internet for the Forester SJ. Yes, there are many aftermarket parts that are interchangeable between the same year models WRX w/CVT and the FXT, however the radiator does not appear to be one of them. The radiator core dimensions (WxHxD) all appear to be slightly different. As far as I can tell, we're stuck with OEM or equivalent at the time of this posting. Has anybody out there at least attempted to fit a Mishimoto, CSF, or Koyorad all aluminum radiator?

· Registered
60 Posts
Thread Resurrection!!!
I discovered a shady repair 4 hours from home last week, looked like superglue followed by black RTV on the overflow fitting... I created a rough texture with a serrated knife and applied some JB water weld. It has held up good-enough for the rest of the week and the trip home. (I can remove photo if wordplay offends)

The way that little plastic fitting hangs over the rear bothers me and a little more cooling for my 115F summers wouldn't hurt but all my searching showed next to nothing in multiple forums and that the WRX is almost 1" wider in parts catalogs. It also has an extra fitting on the top passenger side. So then I pulled up this SUBARU WRX/STI 2008–2019 Model: MMRAD-STI-08. It's a little thicker on account of it being Dual-row and of course its about an inch wider than ours. And while that overflow fitting still hangs off the rear, its a quite a bit more robust being a threaded aluminum fitting.

LOOKING UNDER THE HOOD I think it might fit but there may be some customization required.
  • Passenger side there's nothing for inches
  • Driver side only thing within 1" on the driver side is the AC hardline which can be bent a little if needed.
  • The exact placement of the mounting pegs may need a custom bracket (what I do for a living).
  • Fan mounting screws look same in pictures Hope they work in real life...
    • Fans are the same in parts catalog
  • The fan shroud might need some trimming where it warps the sides.
    • Fans are the same in parts catalog
  • Fan to engine may get up to .75 closer unless the core sits closer to the fan
    • Shouldn't matter either way, there is 2" clearance as it is.
  • The AC core bolts to the radiator, I don't see provisions for this on the WRX. ReQ Custom brackets...
    • I Already have a good design in mind.
  • Prices... OEM $250-300, Aftermarket repair $60-90, WRX Mishimoto $320
    • found a deal, gonna spring for it

I'm going to think on this for a bit, make sure I'm not missing anything before I decide to do this...
And of course, if I pull the trigger and am successful I should probably make a few extra brackets for the followers...

Edits made: new findings right after posting make this more likely...

· Registered
60 Posts
It's here and I have real life measurements. It's Nearly the same height and width. YES, smaller than the reported WRX measurements I read from the parts catalog... It would be a straight drop in if it weren't for the lack of AC core mounting tabs. The dual row core is definitely thicker but the tanks are barely 0.25" thicker. I'm really excited about fabbing up some mounting brackets for the AC core so I can get this thing installed...

...But my other car just lost a starter and I make it a rule Not to 'break' more than one family car at a time. I started working on the upper brackets but I need to drain the radiator and pull hoses before I can mock up the lower ones... I guess I better go fix that starter.

· Registered
60 Posts
It fits! There it is before I put the grille/ intake back and a shot of my brackets to attach the AC core.

More bracket pictures.

I needed to shorten both ends of the upper radiator hose to keep it from rubbing on things. I also needed to place a fat washer under the upper radiator mounts because its just a little bit taller at the pegs than stock.
I will report back with temps after some driving, We should be seeing our hot weather here soon.

· Registered
2017 FXT (Quartz Blue Pearl)
13 Posts
It fits! There it is before I put the grille/ intake back and a shot of my brackets to attach the AC core.

View attachment 551297 View attachment 551298

More bracket pictures.

View attachment 551300 View attachment 551301

I needed to shorten both ends of the upper radiator hose to keep it from rubbing on things. I also needed to place a fat washer under the upper radiator mounts because its just a little bit taller at the pegs than stock.
I will report back with temps after some driving, We should be seeing our hot weather here soon.

this looks great man. great info. and great pictures. I, however, do not have the tools or expertise to fab up brackets as well as you did. looks intricate. thanks for the thread and i'll keep this radiator in mind...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts