Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2014 Forester's AC makes a clunking noise when I turn it on and the other day my husband was driving it with the AC on and he said that twice the vehicle hesitated/lost power, I drove it in the morning and it was fine. I purchased a warranty for it when I bought it used. Should I be concerned and take it in to the shop, or should I wait to see if it does the lose power thing again?

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
2,077 Posts
Your AC compressor takes power from the engine via the serpentine belt that drives it.
AC compressors turn on and off as a normal function, at that "clunk" is when the compressor clutch engages.
It happens when you are driving too, but you typically don't hear it due to engine noise at higher RPMs.
While running at speed, the engine is also producing more power, so you don't notice the power loss nearly as much as you do when the engine is idling.
The sudden power demand by the AC at idle can usually be seen by a drop in RPMs on the tach when it engages...

If you are stopped and are starting up at the same time as the compressor kicks on, a hesitation might be observed without their being an actual problem..
It's hard to say based on your description.
Does the AC work normally? Is the clunk just a single clunk and that's it, or does it continue to make noise?
You might have a slightly worn AC clutch or belt, but many cars clunk on for years without there being a serious problem.
Does the hesitation seem to be infrequent, perhaps like I described above?
If so, I'm thinking you have nothing to worry about..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The AC works normally, keeps it cool without freezing you out. The only clunk I hear is when I first turn the AC on. I haven't experienced the hesitation my husband told me about, any time I've used it it's been fine. I notice a typical loss of power when the compressor turns on, but that's it.

·
Registered
2018 Forester Manual
452 Posts
There were a bunch of 14-18 Foresters at my work. You could always hear them when people were leaving the office on a hot day; for some reason the AC clutches really make a clunk when they engage on the first time!

My 1st, 2nd, 3rd AC compressor have all done it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts