Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 XT CVT, 09 WRX MT
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,
I just replaced the wheel bearing (rear - right) & the brake pads on my Forester XT 2014.
They were really worn out. I even got ABS, HA, & VDC lights come on.
No issues found with a Blue Driver dongle.
I did a visual inspection on the ABS sensor (right hand side) when I replaced the part & it seem fine.
*I used an OEM wheel bearing.

Can you please let me know if there is any procedure to reset the ABS, HA, and VDC lights.
Or do you believe that the ABS sensors might be damaged with the heat or vibration of the bad bearing.

Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
2020 Limited - Crystal white pearl
76 Posts
This may be a separate issue involving the brake light switch. This was a recall in the US.

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
126 Posts
If the ABS sensor is bad or its not picking up the signal from the reluctor in the hub-bearing that's exactly what will happen. These is no procedure on 2014 to relearn anything. Its unlikely the sensor was damaged by the hub bearing going bad but more likely the sensor or harness was damaged during the replacement. If the hub bearing is not seated correctly (off by 1 mm) the ABS sensor will not work. Instead of just setting an ABS light, the entire system goes crazy.

the sensors are passive on the subaru so its had to tell if its bad. I would check the plug and harness... Remove and replace the sensor. You can sine a light into the hole the sensor screws into and the hub should be very close, obscuring the hole partially.

·
Registered
15 XT CVT, 09 WRX MT
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks a lot Warren for the clarifications.

I did the installation very quickly last weekend... I'll check if I did the installation properly (bearing seated at the right place).
I believe the plug & harness is ok but I'll do a ring out & resistance check just to double check my visual inspection.

I really appreciate.

·
Registered
15 XT CVT, 09 WRX MT
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@Anchorend,
You are right.
My brake light are still working... I'll re-check my installation before spending any additional money on an electrical component.
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2020 Limited - Crystal white pearl
76 Posts
Are the "three amigos" always on no matter what? Mine were so off and on which is what made it weird to diagnose. Good luck!

·
Registered
15 XT CVT, 09 WRX MT
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Only the complete hub assembly is available for 2014 Foresters.
It's an OEM bearing/hub assembly.

I re-checked everything yesterday and I found that I had a very small gap when I did the inspections via the ABS sensor hole.
I cleaned the cage (rust deposit from the previous bearing) where the bearing was installed.
I re-installed the bearing... no more gap between the bearing & the abs sensor... Problem solve!

Wheel bearing wasn't installed properly due rust deposit... my bad!
Thanks again Warren!

·
Registered
15 XT CVT, 09 WRX MT
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
126 Posts
If their OEM parts were so good there wouldn’t be dozens of threads about hub-bearing failures at low mileage.
I have gotten more trouble free miles from the $85 Timken Replacements hubs then the factory units.

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT
88 Posts
@Maverick_FA18,
Thank you so much for this info. On Sunday I replaced my drivers side CV axle with a Cardone one (middle grade as HD was not available) from Rockauto and also replaced the front wheel bearing with a Timken as well as the front brake rotor. About a year ago I replaced a rear wheel bearing with Timken and it has worked perfectly fine ever since. After completing the driver side this time around, I start the car and it is in (S) mode all limped out with the christmas tree lights - hill assist, check engine, AT temp, ABS. Thankfully I have 3 cars but I would love to get this back on the road.

I do recall that when I removed the the front hub from the knuckle, there was lots of rust that I attempted to clean but didnt take the time to really clean it. That combined with adding some grease could have gunked up the speed sensor. I guess I will try removing the hub again and better clean that area along with the sensor.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts