Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 with 100K miles & an intermittent A/C. Reading here about the TSB and having to replace both compressor & clutch to rectify the problem leaves me baffled. Does anyone know why If the clutch windings are the cause of the problem why is it that both components need to be replaced ?

Can I use an aftermarket clutch on this compressor ?

Thanks.

Bob

·
Registered
2016 Forester
13 Posts
From everything I've seen (including unsuccessfully trying first-hand to remove just the clutch assembly), Fozzies from these later model years do not have a separately replaceable A/C clutch, so you have to go with either a new or remanufactured unit that includes a clutch. Should be looking at around $270-400 depending on your source and brand.
Replacing the whole thing CAN be done somewhat quickly DIY, assuming you know what you're doing and can get the refrigerant lines drawn down at a properly equipped local shop before starting work.
But it's also worth your time seeing if Subaru HQ 1-800-SUBARU-3 would be willing to cover the cost of replacement (which they SHOULD if your vehicle is under warrant, and MIGHT if you ask real nice and/or politely reject a legit quote from your dealer's service center). Cite TSB 10-84-16R as reference.
Otherwise, you're looking at a $750+ job.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts