Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester 4 Speed Automatic
344 Posts
Beautiful XV. That is my favorite color for it. Love it except for the wheels. What do you think of them?

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
553 Posts
I drove them quite a few times and I like quite a bit about them, save for the lack of power - which at 4,000ft+ you do really feel. It's otherwise quite athletic and fun to drive :D

My two favorite colors for the Crosstrek are DGM and Khaki.

Great choice :) http://www.subaruxvforum.com/ good forum for research

·
Registered
2015 Impreza 5-Door Sport Auto (CVT)
2,351 Posts
Four people where I work got the 2013 Crosstrek. One is the color you got, which I think is one of the best colors for the Crosstrek, two are the bright orange color which seems to be pretty popular, and one has a dark grey metallic which really looks classy. Needless to say, they all love their news Subarus.

I myself almost got one of them, but I have two dogs that I cart around and the Forester had more room and the honestly the price was the same for either vehicle. If I didn't have the dogs, I think I would of went for the CT.

Good luck with it and hope it gives you good service.

·
Registered
2013 BMW X1, Impreza Spt 5MT
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Beautiful XV. That is my favorite color for it. Love it except for the wheels. What do you think of them?
I like the wheels, this is one of the first vehicles I have had that I did not immediately want to change the wheels on. My least favorite wheels where the stock ones that came on my 2004 Forester XT.

It was between this color and the silver, and gray was another option. I wanted the dark interior, so any of the exterior colors that came with it I would have chose, except maybe the Tangerine.

Premium or limited?
This one is a Premium with CVT, which was the only option I got on it. All Crosstreks come with the cold weather package, cruise control, and the head unit with bluetooth.

Four people where I work got the 2013 Crosstrek. One is the color you got, which I think is one of the best colors for the Crosstrek, two are the bright orange color which seems to be pretty popular, and one has a dark grey metallic which really looks classy. Needless to say, they all love their news Subarus.

I myself almost got one of them, but I have two dogs that I cart around and the Forester had more room and the honestly the price was the same for either vehicle. If I didn't have the dogs, I think I would of went for the CT.

Since I did not get any options except CVT with this, it was not bad at all on price. We have two dogs, but one is medium sized and the other is small, so no problems with them fitting. I would say even two medium sized dogs would be OK also. The new Forester was too big of a vehicle at this point for me, as this car primarily is a commuter car for me. I liked the size of my old Forester, which at this point is all I need for space.

·
Registered
14 Forester XT cvt
138 Posts

I drove the CT twice and thought it was nice for the right price but when compared to the new Forester it came up short in power and refinement. Even though they are directly related I found the Forester was a notch or two above the CT.

·
Premium Member
12 Premium 5-speed
4,486 Posts
We test drove a "used" one last weekend. I put it in quotes because it had a whopping 2,992 miles on it. 5-speed, basic model whatever it's called. It was marked down around $2,000 for that low amount of use, so it seems like a nice deal is waiting for somebody. Never mind - someone already snatched it up.

We really wanted to like it. A few problems for us:

- clutch was really stiff and the take-up point was really short.
- shifter action was a bit tight. Maybe I'm just used to the sloppier versions from the other Subarus we've had.
- I couldn't find a comfortable position for the seat; I was fiddling with it at every stop sign / light and just couldn't make it work for my picky back.

Being nitpicky, the rear bumper cover does not cover enough of the bumper. For a vehicle that's supposed to be rough and ready, it oughta extend the full width of the lift gate opening and also up the sides a bit - like it does on our Outback.

So it needs an optional power seat with a lumbar adjustment. I really don't understand why this isn't available on a car that tops out in the $27,000 range and comes with the labels of "Premium" and "Limited". :crazy:

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We test drove a "used" one last weekend. I put it in quotes because it had a whopping 2,992 miles on it. 5-speed, basic model whatever it's called. It was marked down around $2,000 for that low amount of use, so it seems like a nice deal is waiting for somebody. Never mind - someone already snatched it up.

We really wanted to like it. A few problems for us:

- clutch was really stiff and the take-up point was really short.
- shifter action was a bit tight. Maybe I'm just used to the sloppier versions from the other Subarus we've had.
- I couldn't find a comfortable position for the seat; I was fiddling with it at every stop sign / light and just couldn't make it work for my picky back.

Being nitpicky, the rear bumper cover does not cover enough of the bumper. For a vehicle that's supposed to be rough and ready, it oughta extend the full width of the lift gate opening and also up the sides a bit - like it does on our Outback.

So it needs an optional power seat with a lumbar adjustment. I really don't understand why this isn't available on a car that tops out in the $27,000 range and comes with the labels of "Premium" and "Limited". :crazy:
It was strange that it does not come with lumbar. As is, it is fairly comfortable for me. Since I have the CVT, I cannot speak for how the 5MT feels, other than when I drove the 5MT in an Impreza sport, I did not prefer it over the CVT.

sweet exterior, got any interior pics?
I will have to get some interior pics and post up. It has a dark interior, which I prefer over the light. It also seemed a bit more updated from the recent Subies, with the exception being the 2014 Forester.

Welcome back to the Subie world!
Thanks!

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT CVT
219 Posts
I love the Crosstreks Kinda wish they were out when we got our Impreza 5 Door. They are great cars super fun to drive. For us they are like Foresters most are sold right off the truck.

Also the CVT doesn't suck the paddle shifter mode is quite fun and after getting used to it you can keep it in the power band for spirited driving

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
I love the Crosstrek save for the lack of power (at 6800 ft, it's probably running closer to 120hp). And if I took it up to where my Forester frequents at 12,800 ft, it would probably be wheezing down at 80, lol.

Do like them a lot though, would buy one in a heartbeat if it was turbo'ed (and I say this on every XV thread).

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I love the Crosstreks Kinda wish they were out when we got our Impreza 5 Door. They are great cars super fun to drive. For us they are like Foresters most are sold right off the truck.

Also the CVT doesn't suck the paddle shifter mode is quite fun and after getting used to it you can keep it in the power band for spirited driving
I agree that the paddle shifter mode does help. I do prefer the XV over the Impreza 5 Door, I was considering an Impreza Sport, but I like the XV better.

My wife announced yesterday that the Crosstreck will be her next car. :)
She will like it! Easy to drive, and comfortable.

I love the Crosstrek save for the lack of power (at 6800 ft, it's probably running closer to 120hp). And if I took it up to where my Forester frequents at 12,800 ft, it would probably be wheezing down at 80, lol.

Do like them a lot though, would buy one in a heartbeat if it was turbo'ed (and I say this on every XV thread).
If they come out with an XV XT, I would get one, no question.

·
Registered
34 Posts
After taking a couple of months off, I got back into researching the Used Forester and XV.

First of all. Excellent car purchase. I love the color. My first pick.
I like the wheels also.

It looks like Subaru has the 2013XV and the 2014 Forester as being the most competitive toward each other. Kind of like an Olympic team that is competing againsit itself to medal. The house can’t lose.

Anyway.

I'm torn between the very base (5sp/6sp) models of these two cars.

I beileve the Forester is too big for my needs, yet the turning radius and approach angle is just as good and even better than the XV.
Furthermore, the gains in storage space is huge (14.5 cubic feet)! And all you are giving up is about 1mpg! Ohh, and 148hp vs 170hp, and only 1mpg lost. Just wow.
Unlike in the previous generation, the 2014 Forester comes with 17” tires as standard.

XV does have more things to offer. Roof rales, both front seats have heated seats. I'm sure there are several other things.

The intangable that helps the XV is that the used fleet is getting bigger daily. Also, dealers will need to sale off the 2013 to get ready for the hybrids later in this year. Furthermore, upgrading to a premium CVT would not be an issue at all. The Forester has to be at the high end range before the paddle shifters come into focus. I enjoyed the shifters on the XV, and with my slow driving style, I feel good about the 28mpg. The 2014 gets 25.5mpg on the 6speed.

Bottum line. What car does the dealer need to get off the lot? The earliest I would buy would be this mid December. If the milage and price is right, I could go either way. But one thing is for sure, as more time goes by, the better the Forester looks.
_

Enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
2011 Forester 5 Speed Manual
1,613 Posts
I've had my 2011 5MT Forester for a few months now and I'm still not thrilled with the shift points. I like having a low 1st (for off road) but for regular driving you can't do anything in it besides get the car moving. even 2nd sucks. I drove a 6sp MT and it was brutal. They should go back to a 4sp MT with more balls.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts