Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings!

I just got a 2013 Forester Limited and was wondering what are some things i can do to increase HP?

Are there and recommendations for mods or a list of things to start off with?

I am very excited to venture fourth with the forester family

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
41,989 Posts
@Forrie_v welcome to the forum from Oregon!

Unless you have an XT with a turbocharged engine, there's not much untapped power to be found.

You can improve the handling, which would depend on if you have plans on going off road or staying on paved roads. Of course there are sound system upgrades, if you're into that.

You can ask your technical questions here:
You might be interested in starting one of these:
Also...
For the best forum experience, we recommend completing your "Account Details". The optional information you enter there will display when members click "About" in your forum profile. You can also create a custom "Signature" that will display every time you make a forum post. The optional additional information you provide could mean getting forum member replies, or not.
Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
Registered
'14 Forester XT Touring
976 Posts
Sadly not much. The best way to get more hp is to trade/sell your limited and get an XT.

Yes you can add an aftermarket turbo, and tune it. Will you make more power than the XT? Not really. Would you spend lots more than just buying an XT? yes.

The best you can do is buy a nice exhaust. It would at lest give you 2-3 hp more, but at lest it would look and sound nice.

·
Registered
2020 Forester, 2021 Crosstrek
1,813 Posts
The best you can do is buy a nice exhaust. ...at [lest] it would look and sound nice.
That's highly debatable. Personally I think N/A Subarus sound lousy with aftermarket exhausts. Unless you just like noise. No turbo to attenuate the unpleasant sounds.

OP, you're not going to get appreciably more horsepower out of an N/A Subaru. You might find one or two HP out of making it breathe slightly better, but you won't feel it.

You can make that platform handle pretty well, though. Pursue that.

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5 Premium, Black
127 Posts
The typical things done to increase hp like K&N filters, or exhaust upgrades really do not add much. More radical mods
get deeper in the engine, affect the ECU, and you may never get it to run right. A 2013 with high mileage, could benefit from
new plugs, throttle body cleaning, & new air filters.

·
Registered
06 XT, ‘12 Legacy, ‘15 Outback ‘16 Legacy, ‘19 Crosstrek, ‘15 Forester
4 Posts
@Forrie_v The best way to increase performance is multi faceted.
Engine performance
Weight reduction
Handling upgrades.
With the non turbo Forester, I suggest gutting anything not immediately required for safe operation.
How ever, some folks like having all the seats, carpeting, trim parts, etc. 😝

·
Registered
2003 Forester AW Manual with low ratio
410 Posts
Buy an earlier model, if you can find a good rust free low mileage N/A pre 2006 ish? Lighter and impreza based chassis. Or just make the most of the on and off road capability you already have? Hp isn't everything, just a number.

·
Registered
2011 Forester X auto
844 Posts
You can also tune it. There is not too much to be gained but is noticeable. You can remove the swirl valves to improve top end but for the amount of work involved the gain is not worth it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts