Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was replacing the crankshaft pulley on my '13 FB 2.5X with timing chain and turned the crankshaft counterclockwise (maybe 2 turns) before I realized what I was doing.
I turned it back, then loosened the bolt using the old belt trick, then finished the job without thinking anything else of it.
After that I went to turn her over and the engine cut out almost immediately.
Went back to the front and saw that the pulley bolt came loose so I re-tightened and now the car won't start.
It turns over and I can see the crankshaft turning but it just won't start and doesn't sound right.
It got too late to check spark, air, fuel, compression, etc so I plan to do that tomorrow.
Just trying to set myself (and my wallet) up for what I could be facing here.
With the FB25 obviously being an interference engine is it possible that I skipped teeth on the timing chain when I turning it CCW and then introduced the valves to the piston head when I tried starting it?
I've used the search bar and haven't found another idiot who did this.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I would start by hooking up an OBD 2 reader to see if there is a trouble code for a crank position sensor fault. Perhaps it got damaged when you were installing the pulley or when the bolt came loose? I really don't think you did any damage by rotating the engine backwards but I'm not entirely sure. Always good to start with checking the small things before panicking

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input, I'm borrowing an OBD 2 reader later today to look at the codes. So i know on the old EJ motors, the crankshaft position sensor was right near the pulley, so it could be physically damaged from the belt coming off or pulley coming loose. Based on the parts diagram, on the FB it appears to be at the back of the block near the flywheel. What exactly is the sensors function? Is it designed to fail and turn the engine off in order to prevent damage to the crankshaft (i.e. when it notices excessive vibration)?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Ah I was unaware Subaru moved it to the back of the engine. I still think the first thing you should do is pull the codes to see if there are any trouble codes stored in the ECU that might point you in the right direction.

The crank position sensor works with the cam position sensors and they send a signal to the ECU telling it when to spark the spark plug. If either sensor is damaged or faulty you will not have spark. If the ECU has no fault codes stored in it you should check the following, is there fuel flowing to the fuel rails? Are the spark plugs sparking? Finally, check compression. If your car isn't starting one of those three is guaranteed to be lacking.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update: I couldn't get a scanner today so I decided to go back through my steps and make sure I didn't miss anything.
As i was turning the crankshaft by hand I noticed a loud clicking sound with every turn:

Any idea what could be causing this? Chain tensioner?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts