Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Forester auto
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wife slid her 2013 into a curb on ice today. Car has 15k miles on it. Tire will have to be replaced. Odds that 15k all 4 will have to go? Anything else I should expect or could be damaged?

·
Registered
2005 Impreza RS 4EAT (sob)
431 Posts
Ouch!!! :$ That sucks... I've hit curbs before, but never badly enough that I've had to have a tire replaced. And look out for the alignment; I screwed up mine hitting a curb once in a parking lot. It was late at night, I just wanted to get out of the work parking lot, realized at the last second that I was about to drive into a curb, and BRAKED, arrrrrgh... :shake: *facepalm*

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
14,919 Posts
The difference in tread depth could be a bit over 1/32". Have it checked for damage. If she hit it hard enough to destroy a tire you will have possibly misalignment.. Hitting a curb sideways doesn't agree with suspension systems. Let us know how you made out.

·
Registered
2013 Forester auto
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
subaru dealer just called me:

the tire wear is within the allowance so we can get away with repalcing just the one. Rim has some cosmetic damage and might have a slight bend but balanced within subaru specs.

alignment will tell the rest of the tale....nothing visually looked damaged.

·
Registered
2004 Forester Turbo Auto
2 Posts
Did this to my forester as well

About 100,000 miles ago. Got it repaired and has not been a problem since at all. It's a minor thing - you should be able to keep the tires too..

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
271 Posts
Just had my wheel bearing, rim, and lower control arm replaced, an alignment and some other things un-bent too, all for sliding into a curb at like 2 miles an hour.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Banned
144 Posts
my wife does that all the time. I only buy her used tires now.
My wife also tends to bump into curbs all the time. Never had an issue, though, even after hitting a tall curb going 20 mph. I checked alignment afterwards, and it it was well withing manufacturer's tolerances. I'm glad she is not driving a Subaru, otherwise we would have spent a fortune on suspension repairs.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
271 Posts
Well I had it done at John Kennedy Body shop in Plymouth Meeting, PA. They botched it so I took it to A&T who were great, they found that I needed new barrings as well. I only have a $100 deductable so whatever.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Premium
165 Posts
Control arms are not made of thick steel like back in the day, everything made thinner today, I guess that helps with the whole energy absorption thing... and of course it's cheaper.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i 6 spd
433 Posts
And it cuts weight, which boosts the CAFE ratings.

There's an increasing number of parts made from high strength, low alloy heat treated steel to cut weight. The downside is that they're use once, can't repair.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts