Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
100 Posts
Re changing the seat covers. Here is a link to the kind of thing I am talking about. Its amazing what they can do for the money. Anything comparable costs 4 or 5 times what these Chinese companies can do it for. Only drag is they take a little while to arrive unless you pay a big shipping surplus. Anyway just an idea.

·
Registered
2013 Forester2.5X Premium Automatic
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
We put heavy neoprene seat covers on right after we got it. We mountain bike, hike and kayak a lot and not uncommon to be standing on the rear seat with muddy wet feet tying down kayaks on the roof racks. Cloth seats would never last. Crappy seat covers but heavy and durable. Only issue is getting zapped with static every time we step out of the car. We live in Florida, anyone with a dark colored car is crazy, could cook an egg on it in the summer. And it's not white, it's pearl, might be a subtle difference but to me it looks much nicer. Was thinking about a new head unit but not sure to look at dealer or third party. We'll see after this round of excitement.

So far I am on day 5 of my loaner for the 2, possibly 3 days of work. Looks like it will be 7 days before it's all said and done. But I'm tooling around in a 2020 Forester Sport with all the fixin's. All I can say is... I want my '13 Foz back. The soft start [email protected] is the most ridiculous "upgrade" I have ever seen. That jerk every time you pull away from a stop would drive me insane. So would having to disable it manually EVERY TIME you start the car. For that one reason alone I would never want a car I couldn't disable that permanently on.

The power hatch is cool looking and a good idea but hate it. Slow to operate, it "learned" a new position half way open I had to reteach the open position after finding out how to do that. I'm sure the drive for that will have issues after a few thousand times. The steering wheel is crazy, waaaaay too many controls with little icons, would need a two week training class to figure out what everything does and a refresher ever couple months. And paddle shifters, too? Grabbed them instead of the wheel way too many times. The touch screen, meh. Heard all the rave of the backup cameras, I can see the benefit but still don't trust it completely so have to look mirrors, behind me, screen, my neck would never last.

The hood I absolutely hate. It rises up on the two outer edges. I park in our garage and with both vehicles it's kind of tight. With that rise in the hood I really can't tell where the passenger side of the car is. With all that being said it looks nice, but $32K?!?!?!? Nope. Looking forward to having my ol' (lol) '13 back.

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
100 Posts
I agree about the stop-start. I took my stepfather's 2019 to get his winter tires put on and found it really strange. It was just below freezing and it just seemed weird for the engine to turn off at a light, and then to start up again. Surely the starters in those are not going to last. How much gas can it really be saving? Based upon the real-time mpg readout in my 2011 it's consumption at idle is so low as to not even be measurable.

·
Registered
2019 Sport CVT
431 Posts
Great link, I'll dig into that later (when I'm not grinding away at work). That's the one aspect I never liked was the tiny wheels, even aesthetically it makes it look like a toy. Also the reason I didn't like the plain Jane white side so added some heavy black side door trim down the sides to break up the blah look:

View attachment 527006

Didn't mean to make my '13 Foz sound old, it's just a perspective thing when I'm sitting behind the wheel of a baby new car smelling Foz Sport. Actually my '13 was the first new vehicle I ever bought and that was because used ones were almost the same price. I love the car but wish it was quieter and smoother on the road (the one aspect I miss from my Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo). I wasn't going to get any work done until Subaru offered to help out so I figured it couldn't hurt and if it does have the piston ring issue and they fix that, too, the engine will have a lot more life (still barely under 100K). I change the oil regularly with full synthetic and try to keep everything in order. I babysat an '87 Monte Carlo SS to almost 300K and my Jeep was around 250K when I traded it. The Foz is paid for so not wanting to get back into payment again and hoping to get a lot more life. If they come back and say it doesn't have the piston ring issue then I'm uping the weight of the oil and keeping on truckin'
I added a splash of color to my SH

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I agree about the stop-start. I took my stepfather's 2019 to get his winter tires put on and found it really strange. It was just below freezing and it just seemed weird for the engine to turn off at a light, and then to start up again. Surely the starters in those are not going to last. How much gas can it really be saving? Based upon the real-time mpg readout in my 2011 it's consumption at idle is so low as to not even be measurable.
Thing we wonder is we're in Florida, no cold weather but when you stop at a light and the engine turns off the AC stays on. Some of our lights can last several minutes and if it's +90°F out you're blasting the AC, the radio, the big display, the running lights (or headlights at night), how does the car continue to run these things with the engine off? And if it's using the battery, how long will that last?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Well, if they don't call in the next hour that 2-3 day job will be 8 days.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts