Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
so far, as 5 years 2013 forester owner, I am very happy with the car. But recent months, the oil pressure light is on, I frequently checked the oil level and changed the oil on time, it looks good. It's always slightly on when run the car, sometime it's lighter sometime it's darker, sometime it's off.

Any suggestions?

IMG_20180503_111352.jpg

·
Registered
2005 Forester 2.5X RWD JDM 6mt
453 Posts
Oil pressure sender on the engine is dead/dying. Or a possible fault in the pressure sensor wiring (pinch/fray etc...) that is grounding out.

Unfortunately there is no nice/easy way to test the actual oil pressure on these while it is running without opening a plug and adding a new sensor/gauge.

That light is designed to go off when there is less than 5psi of oil pressure, and by that time your engine is already ruined. So good news if yours if running fine for months, probably means the sensor is buggered.

·
Registered
2005 Forester 2.5X RWD JDM 6mt
453 Posts
Ok. That will be the FB25 engine. It should be this guy circled right here.

Small correction. There are (2) sensors in that circle, Oil Temperature and Oil Pressure.

Your oil pressure switch is part number: 25240KA051
2013 Subaru Forester 2.5L 4AT X Engine Oil Pressure Switch. COVER, BELT, TIMING - 25240KA051 | Heuberger Subaru, Colorado Springs CO

And you can see both of them in the parts breakdown here:
TIMING BELT COVER. '11MY-'12MY.. 2013 Subaru Forester 2.5L 4AT X | Heuberger Subaru, Colorado Springs CO

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
2,080 Posts
@seattlenew,
Subaru had a problem with the oil sender unit they used - The contacts get oxidized over time and the sender gives a false signal.
The same issue happened to me.
The new OEM part number has nickel plated contacts.
If you buy the OEM part, get the later version.
You can also buy an equivalent part from most retail auto parts stores for about $10.
Good luck.

·
Registered
2011 2.5X Premium PZEV 4EAT
1,036 Posts
Small correction. There are (2) sensors in that circle, Oil Temperature and Oil Pressure....
The wire coming out of the bottom of the circle appears to be connected to a third sensor, maybe oil level? My '11, unfortunately, doesn't have one. BTW, that's a great photo.

·
Administrator
15,982 Posts
@pro95rr G'day & Welcome

Note that some members in this thread have not been seen here for 2 years

BTW
Could you please complete your profile; vehicle details at least, thanks:

For the best forum experience, we recommend completing your "Account Details". The optional information you enter there will display when members click "About" in your forum profile. You can also create a custom "Signature" that will display every time you make a forum post. The optional additional information you provide could mean getting forum member replies, or not.

Note that any thread your create could be closed if your "Public Profile" is not completed!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts