Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Forester X Automatic
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I've done lots of work to Subaru's but I am tackling my first manual transmission Forester. It is my bosses 13' Forester X. He wants to change the transmission and both diff fluids.

My question is Subaru told me the front diff and transmission are part of the same unit with one dip stick and they use the same 75w90 gear oil (which I purchased from Subaru). The manual lists 3.5L for the transmission and 1.2L for the differential. Do I simply pour 4.7L down the dipstick tube to refill both cases? Of course this is different than my old 2007 Forester 4EAT setup so I want to confirm before I open it up.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
2001 Forester
656 Posts
On manual transmission Subaru, the transmission and front diff are single units. You also have a rear diff, which is your 2nd diff in your posting.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. To confirm I need a total a 4.7L for the front diff/trans and 0.8 for the rear diff. Total of 5.5L of 75w90?

This is what is written in the manual page 12-8.

Manual transmission
3.7 US qt (3.5 liters, 3.1 Imp qt)

Front differential
(AT models) 1.3 US qt (1.2 liters, 1.1 Imp qt)

Rear differential 0.8 US qt (0.8 liter, 0.7 Imp qt)

·
Registered
2001 Forester
656 Posts
Since we are talking about the MT(Manual Transmission), using what you state from page 12-8, you need 3.5 liters + 0.8 liter = 4.3L

If you were talking about the AT, 1.2L + 0.8L = 2L

Not sure why you keep thinking you need 4.7L for front diff/trans......The manual transmission version does not have a separate front diff fluid. The front diff and transmission share the same fluid, therefore only 3.5L and not 4.7L

ONLY The AT model requires the 1.2L of front diff. That's because it's an Automatic Transmission and the front diff is completely separate from the transmission.

On the MT model of the Subaru, there are 2 drain plugs up front, 1 for engine oil, 1 for transmission/diff. There is a separate drain plug for the rear diff. There 2 dipsticks in the front: 1 for engine oil, 1 for transmission/diff.

On the AT model of the Subaru, there are 3 drain plugs up front, 1 for engine oil, 1 for transmission oil, 1 for front diff. There is a separate drain plug for the rear diff. There are 3 dipsticks in the front: 1 for engine oil, 1 for AT fluid, 1 for front diff

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
36,348 Posts
@CdnScoobie take a look at this existing thread, where I posted the Subaru technical service procedure for the MT transmission & rear differential oil change.

Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great explanation. I wasn't clear because the guy at Subaru said the trans/front diff were the same unit but I needed enough oil to fill both, maybe we were both confused because he sold me 6L, 4.7L for the front and 0.8 for the rear. I was expecting to change 3 units and didn't realize it was a shared unit that moment so I went with it to ensure I bought enough. Again, use to my automatic.

Not knowing the trans/front diff were combined... transmission oil is actually transmission AND differential oil. I was fine with the rear diff, I know that's completely different. So I only need 4.3L to fill everything, not 5.5.

·
Registered
595 Posts
@CdnScoobie I suggest filling the trans fairly slowly and using the dipstick for guidance. If it's overfilled you'll need to siphon fluid out which is lame. If it's over the F mark the fluid can foam which is bad.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts