Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2013 2.5X Limited 4 Spd. Auto
8 Posts
I have a cluster from a 2012 STI to put into my 2013 Forester. All the gauges work, but since the STI has extra stuff, like the configurable centre diff, the SI drive light blinks all the time and the 'rear diff temp' is lit up all the time. Is there anything I can do except use electrical tape to cover things up?

·
Registered
2013 2.5X Limited 4 Spd. Auto
8 Posts
Cluster swap is done... Keys are reprogrammed, and the vehicle starts and runs fine with the new cluster. HOWEVER the remote start no longer works. Did this need to be reprogrammed too?

Edit: It did need to be reprogrammed, and the tech at the dealer where I had it done apparently forgot to do it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i Touring
38 Posts
I tried this today actually. I have an aftermarket Compustar starter and since that starter bypasses the immobilizer, I was curious to see if I could get away with starting the car via the remote starter with my touring cluster installed. I was able to start it, but after 2-5 seconds later the car shut off and the security light was solid.

·
Registered
2009 Forester Limited Auto
295 Posts
After a lot of trial and error, Karman was able to extract the data from the EPROM relating to security and mileage and clone it to the new cluster. If anyone wants to do this modification in the future, Karman has everything needed saved in their system now so it should be a quick, easy modification from now on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cluster swap is done... Keys are reprogrammed, and the vehicle starts and runs fine with the new cluster. HOWEVER the remote start no longer works. Did this need to be reprogrammed too?

Edit: It did need to be reprogrammed, and the tech at the dealer where I had it done apparently forgot to do it.
What did you do to the cluster to get the rear diff light off and also the blinking si off?

·
Registered
2011 Forester Automatic
6 Posts
Bringing this back from the dead to maybe correct some information. I did the wrx gauge swap plus the clock swap. but the display still only shows the time and nothing else. for me.
I'll also bring this thread back from the dead lol. So I just did the cluster swap from an 08 WRX into my NA 4EAT 11 Forester Premium. My Forester's multi-display did not show MPG, temp, or time however I managed to pick up the same multi-display from the WRX and I swapped it in and I still get no MPG, temp, and time on the display. I did take pictures of the two display units and the Forester male connector with the colored wires. If we want the display to work as desired it appears we would have to get appropriate wiring from the WRX. Attached pictures below. Hope this helps some folks out in the future.

·
Registered
2010 Forester X Limited
58 Posts
I bought both a 2012 WRX cluster and a 2012 Forester Touring cluster for my 2010 X Limited. I am going to try out both to decide which I like better. The WRX cluster showed up yesterday, and I quickly popped it in after starting the car to check it out.

I am pleased to say that it worked quite well. The remote display worked correctly with no changes to wiring. I do like this cluster, but it is missing the gear indicator, and I prefer that the speedometer have a more prominent place rather than the tachometer being front and center.. But, I am happy that it is red to match the rest of the lighting in the car. The check engine light is on, but the car does not report any codes. I think that this may be because the immobilizer is not properly paired yet.

The Touring cluster should be here later this week, or possibly early next.. so I will share my results with that one once it arrives.

·
Registered
2010 Forester X Limited
58 Posts
The 2012 Touring cluster arrived today. I ended up lifting the cathode of the CEL LED up off the board, and running a wire from it to pin 38 on the connector to restore the CEL functionality. Unfortunately, this is a somewhat hacky way to do it, and I have no good photos of the process, but it works well and that is all that matters.

Re-pairing the keys was quite straightforward since I have the SSM3 already. It took me about 10 minutes to complete as I made a mistake the first time and had to do it twice.

·
Registered
2009 FXT Ltd
28 Posts
I’ve owned my 2009 forester XT for years and just now found out about the paddle shifter add-on and this Touring cluster, I’m as excited as a kid in a candy shop. For the cluster, I was hoping someone on here has the 2011 and 2012 Touring part numbers to share. My local dealer is unable to aid without a Forester Touring VIN, so I’m a bit stuck in my search.

As for the Check Engine Light possible issue, has there been an update work-around?
I read the following from rkrenicki:
rkrenicki
Registered

2010 Forester X Limited
Joined Jun 17, 2007
·
37 Posts
#31 2 mo ago
The 2012 Touring cluster arrived today. I ended up lifting the cathode of the CEL LED up off the board, and running a wire from it to pin 38 on the connector to restore the CEL functionality. Unfortunately, this is a somewhat hacky way to do it, and I have no good photos of the process, but it works well and that is all that matters.

·
Registered
2009 FXT Ltd
28 Posts
Thanks to this thread, my cluster swap is now complete. The following notes will aid future searchers as well. I opted for the Touring cluster, similar to others in this thread (bflan2001 and rkrenicki). The interior now looks significantly nicer just with the changing of the cluster. I opted not to post images as there are many others to reference in this thread for the same Touring cluster swap.

My Car
USDM 2009 Forester XT
Last 8 9H725335

Donor Car
USDM 2011 Forester X Touring
JF2SHBGC5BH746219

Cluster (Combination Meter)
85001sc240 - this part number was stamped on the bottom of the cluster itself. This is not a Subaru over-the-counter part number, but rather a manufacturer's assembly reference number. This number may help search for a used cluster as my cluster's eBay seller showed the part number in one of the images but I couldn't figure out what it went to. When purchasing used, get the donor VIN as that will help dictate the GPS Nav Part number. There are zero check engine lights on with my swap. The Opening Ceremony works as well as the feature where the needles illuminate when the dome lights turn on. Gear selection displays properly with Sport Shift, as well as when using the JDM paddle shifters (also installed).

Glass Combination Meter
85075SC000 - replaced the original scratched screen with this one.

GPS navigation clock
85261FG010 - This item part number was sourced off of the Donor VIN and pulls up as 'Without LCD'. A lot of models/years used this part number so it was easy to find a used unit. bflan2001 installed a 85261FG020 'with LCD,' which is much harder to find used. My parts department could not explain what the difference was, and since the donor VIN showed 010, then I went 010. I'm guessing 'with LCD' might be for vehicles with the upgraded Navigation Radio, as it has an LCD screen.

Installation of the clock requires removal of the radio. Then, with the radio out and your hand in the dash, depress the side mounting tabs that hold the GPS Nav in place.

It's very important to hold the MPG reset button on the gauge cluster after everything is installed. Otherwise the MPG on the GPS Nav (clock) will be missing a digit. Example: 20.5 MPG versus 0.5MPG.

Calibration of the Cluster
1) Sent both Clusters to Karman Auto for their Clone service (transfers mileage as well as key code)
2) Car started right up on the donor cluster post Cloning with no need to reprogram the immobilizer keys. However, the Speedometer and Tach needles moved at a rate of 50% to actual and coolant didn't move at all (same issue bflan2001 had).
3) Shipped back to Karman Auto. Olga was very helpful via email correspondence.
4) Issue was fixed and Karman wrote this on the repair ticket: "File just write key and miles from original cluster. Changed line 100 to 1B0". This is very important info for future cluster clone jobs. Print and tape this info to the clone cluster when sending it in.

·
Registered
2010 FXT
14 Posts
4) Issue was fixed and Karman wrote this on the repair ticket: "File just write key and miles from original cluster. Changed line 100 to 1B0". This is very important info for future cluster clone jobs. Print and tape this info to the clone cluster when sending it in.
@goClarkgo did the line 100 to 1B0 comment directly fix the tachometer and coolant needle issue?
I’d like to include it as a note if that’s the case, I’m about to send in my 2010 fxt cluster to be cloned onto a 2012 touring cluster. Crossing fingers it works out, I’ll post updates when it returns in the mail

·
Registered
2009 FXT Ltd
28 Posts
@goClarkgo did the line 100 to 1B0 comment directly fix the tachometer and coolant needle issue?
I’d like to include it as a note if that’s the case, I’m about to send in my 2010 fxt cluster to be cloned onto a 2012 touring cluster. Crossing fingers it works out, I’ll post updates when it returns in the mail
Yes, the cluster works correctly after the 100 to 1B0. It's also important to reset the MPG (depress the stalk on the cluster anytime after the install is completed) or the reading may be missing a digit as it was for my setup.

·
Registered
2010 FXT
14 Posts
So before shipping it out I tried the key in ignition method with the 2012 touring cluster: the speedo, tachometer and temp gauge are already working fine even the mpg needle seems responsive to a drive around the block.
The check engine is now illuminated (wasn’t before) so I’ll have to resolve that somehow..

I’m wondering if the error with tach and temp some have experienced only occurs after cloning?? Photo is with the engine idling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2009 FXT Ltd
28 Posts
Was the cluster just cloned or do you intend to still have it cloned? The logical advice is to read the DTC and contact the cloning company to see if they can assist, assuming the code is specific to the recent work.

·
Registered
2009 FXT limited 4eat
12 Posts
So before shipping it out I tried the key in ignition method with the 2012 touring cluster: the speedo, tachometer and temp gauge are already working fine even the mpg needle seems responsive to a drive around the block.
The check engine is now illuminated (wasn’t before) so I’ll have to resolve that somehow..

I’m wondering if the error with tach and temp some have experienced only occurs after cloning?? Photo is with the engine idling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bumping this because I will be installing this cluster model in my 09. I plugged it in and the cel came on, probably because of immobilizer, but the tachometer and everything else looked normal. I didn't try driving to see if it acted up.

Was actually trying to get a local locksmith to program the replacement cluster to the key (while installed) but he was afraid something would go wrong and I wouldn't have a working key. 😅 Wow...

·
Registered
2010 FXT
14 Posts
Was the cluster just cloned or do you intend to still have it cloned? The logical advice is to read the DTC and contact the cloning company to see if they can assist, assuming the code is specific to the recent work.
Hi the post #36 and image was prior to sending out - i just turned my key forward to ON with the blue cluster and then clicked once back / plugged in the red Touring cluster and turned the car on to see it working. The local company didnt want to proceed with the job anyway. The CEL must be some wiring difference between the 2 clusters as
rkrenicki mentioned post #31. There's no actual obd code

·
Registered
2009 FXT limited 4eat
12 Posts
@Scbsnx Maybe we should compare wiring from one to the other, since we seem to be using the same cluster. There aren't many wires on the connector. Even cutting a connector from a junk yard 11 or 12 may help, many of the wires may be the same color.

Seems odd they would move a single pin though.

Mine didn't have a dtc either, when I checked with a scanner.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts