Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Forester Automatic
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are other various threads regarding bits and pieces of this topic. But I thought it would be nice to have a simple how to all in one place. Hopefully a mod can move is to he "How To" section. :)

I am not responsible for any damage. Take time to do your research and do everything at your own risk.

STEP 1: FINDING A REPLACEMENT CLUSTER

Gauge clusters from the 3erd generation Forester (09-13) and 3erd Generation Impreza/WRX/STI (07-11) are all interchangeable. The only thing that you need to keep in mind, is that if your car is 07-11, you need to get a cluster made for a compatible car between 07-11. Likewise, if your car is 12-13, you need to get a cluster for those years. "Need" is a strong word. The clusters will still work, however, Subaru changed the way that the SES indicator works after 2012, so the indicator may not function correctly if you don't follow this suggestion. If you want to spend a fortune then you can pick up a new cluster at any Subaru dealer... Or you can get a used one using eBay or other various sources.

STEP 2: PREPARE YOUR DASH

For the rest of this process it's a good idea to remove your gauge cluster hood and the two screws that hold the cluster in place. This way you will be able to interchange the two clusters very easily. To do this simply pull up and forward on the hood. It should pop off pretty easily, reviling the two Philips head screws that hold it in place.

STEP 3: PROGRAMING THE ODOMETER

The odometer reading is stored in the gauge cluster it self... So at this point you have two options. You can either A) live with the new odometer reading (if you do this, you will need to put an odometer swap sticker close to the tire pressure sticker on your drivers side door jam, that states the mileage of the old and new odometer at the time of swap... It is actually illegal to not do this if your odometer reading has changed), or B) you can have the odometer reprogrammed. I would recommend keeping photos and documentation of the old and new readings... Just to be safe.

If you don't want to reprogram the odometer then skip to "STEP 5 "

If you are brave and want to try reprogramming the odometer yourself then you can check out this link. Read everything really well, do your research, and make sure that you know what you are doing. The cluster in the Forester/Impreza/WRX/STI may save the data differently then the car in the example... If you decide to go this rout, then do so at your own risk.
DIY: Reprogram the odometer on your swapped dash - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

"Most" Subaru dealerships will not be able to program the odometer reading for you... A good place to start is by calling local speedometer repair shops and finding someone who can do this... It shouldn't be to hard.

STEP 4: BYPASSING IMMOBILIZER TO DRIVE WITH NEW CLUSTER (TEMPORARY)

Each gauge cluster has its own code that is a part of the cars immobilization system. So after you have your odometer reading programmed you are also going to have to have your keys reprogrammed. If you are lucky, then the person who programmed your odometer reading can do this as well... If that's the case then skip to "STEP 6". If not then you will have to get your car to a dealer to have the keys programmed.

Okay, so you just spent a bundle having your odometer reading programmed, and driving your car to the dealership using your old cluster and reading will mess this all up... Well the good news is that I found a way to start your car using the new cluster. It's pretty easy, but is not a permanent solution for obvious reasons... It should be good enough to get you by until you can get your keys reprogrammed.

At this point you should still have your hood and two Philips head screws described in step one removed.

First start the car with your original gauge cluster connected. Then turn the ignition to the "off" position... But DO NOT REMOVE THE KEY FROM THE IGNITION. Then, while the car is in the off position and the key is still in he ignition, disconnect your original cluster, and connect the new cluster. Now you will be able to start the car with the new cluster. Note: once you remove the key from the ignition this process will have to be repeated.

STEP 5: REPROGRAMING YOUR KEYS

At this point you should still have your hood and two Philips head screws described in step one removed.

Bring all of your keys with you to the dealer... And once there tell them that you are going to swap your cluster and then you want them to reprogram your keys. If they give you some story about it not being possible or needing to send the cluster to Subaru to be cleared, then they don't know what they are talking about. They just need to reprogram your keys.

Ask them nicely if you can swap he cluster right before they do the programing. Let them know that it will only take you about 30 seconds, witch it should if you left the hood and screws off as I suggested.... They should not have a problem with this. If they do then you might have to pay more for them to install the cluster. Also, ask them to document any mileage difference on the invoice.

STEP 6: ENJOY

Once your keys have been reprogrammed you can fasten the two screws and pop your hood back in to place. :)

REMEMBER TO DOCUMENT EVERYTHING... ITS THE LAW.

CLUSTER EXAMPLES:

Impreza

Forester 2009

Forester 2012

WRX

STI

Forester Touring (this is a beautiful cluster)

FYI: The touring cluster has two buttons. One cycles the trip odometer. (Hold to reset) the other toggles the MPG display on the clock pod on/off.

·
Registered
2007 Lexus GX470
1,943 Posts
subbed. Nice writeup.

Your first pic is a 2009 Forester cluster, the second is 2010+ Forester. There would be no point in swapping in an Impreza cluster because it doesn't have the temp gauge.

·
Registered
09 Fozzy XT 4 Hungry aka 4EAT
2,115 Posts
subbed. Nice writeup.

Your first pic is a 2009 Forester cluster, the second is 2010+ Forester. There would be no point in swapping in an Impreza cluster because it doesn't have the temp gauge.
My 09 has a red line of about 6500, just like the second picture.

·
Registered
2007 Lexus GX470
1,943 Posts
My 09 has a red line of about 6500, just like the second picture.

My 2009 XT has a 6500 rpm tach too but it looks like the 1st photo. Impreza gauge clusters have no blue.

2009 Forester XT has a 6500 rpm tach, and 2009 Forester 2.5i has a 6000 rpm tach, both had 2 blue stripes around the dials. 2010-2013 had the same tacohs by model but just one stripe around the dials.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 forester x
64 Posts
hi

i did my wrx cluster swap in my forester x 10
program all its working fine but my clock.mpg and outside temp its not working

some suggestion to fixit

·
Registered
2007 Lexus GX470
1,943 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Forester X Limited
99 Posts
Anyone put an 08-13 STi cluster into an automatic transmission 08-13 Forester? I know you need to get the matching MFD once you cross 2012...

Back in the day, the DCCD display in the STi cluster "acted" as the gear indicator on the automatic Impreza and Forester, and I'm wondering if this is so with this generation.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2009 forester XT L auto
58 Posts
To fix this you need to pick up the dash-top display from a WRX.
Bringing this back from the dead to maybe correct some information. I did the wrx gauge swap plus the clock swap. but the display still only shows the time and nothing else. for me.

·
Registered
2009 Forester Limited Auto
295 Posts
I just ordered a used cluster with matching clock, I hope mine works! I noticed that there are two possible part numbers, one LCD and one 'non-LCD'. I've only ever seen the LCD clock so I'm not sure what the other one is, but maybe that's your issue? I'll post my results when I test everything out.

·
Registered
295 Posts
It showed up yesterday and it was just a standard cluster, despite pictures on their website showing a touring cluster. I'm in the process of ordering another one, will post here when I finally get one.

·
Registered
2011 Forester X Premium Automatic 2.5
4 Posts
I have a 2011 subaru forester x premium i want to swap out the ugly blue cluster with a 2012 subaru forester xt touring instrument cluster would it be plug and play or whats needed to do the swap
ive attached an iimage of what the new one looks like.

Attachments

·
Registered
295 Posts
Finally got my cluster cloned and swapped it in last night! I have a 2009 so I bought a cluster for a 2011 Touring. I also replaced the clock with a 2010/2011 Forester clock, part number 85261FG020. Everything works as it should. I’m stoked to be rid of the last ugly blue on my dash! I also removed the LED for the passenger airbag indicator because it bugged the hell out of me and I don’t see any point to it.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I spoke too soon, my tach and speedo are only reading about half scale and my coolant temp and mpg gauges aren’t moving at all. 😢

·
Registered
295 Posts
That is correct. I'll update this thread if something changes but for now you can assume that this modification does not work with the Touring cluster. So now I have a $700 paper weight. Maybe a moderator can update the original post so no one else wastes an obscene amount of money like I did.

·
Registered
295 Posts
The touring cluster can be used, the shop I used to clone my cluster cloned the whole EPROM from my old cluster to the Touring cluster and obviously there are differences. They're trying to fix it now. Beware if you send your cluster to Karman Auto this will likely happen to you too.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts