Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

2013 - Found detached piece (picture) on rattling troubleshooting - help me to identify it please?

('09-'13) 
1K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  vintage42 
#1 ·
As object, had a rattling noise issue, gone underneath and identified the guilty quite easily, it was inside a squared metal box, and at a certain rmp range it produced the sound
Please help me identify it as i would like to avoid to go to service without a real reason

it's a sturdy, heavy piece of metal, upper part is in some sort of rubber
Rectangle Cylinder Artifact Gas Art

See less See more
#2 ·
A few things -

It would help to know what kind of vehicle we're talking about - and what year.

It could also help to know where you found this piece - beyond "in a square metal box". If you cannot describe it, pictures often help.

Finally, this could easily be a piece of some other vehicle that was kicked up on a trip and is not really a piece of your car but of somebody else's car.

#6 · (Edited)
Hi Guys,
Yes, i will update the profile in short time, sorry about it. Edit: Done
I have another picture. It is definitely a piece of my car, it was meant to be attached to a internal side of the box you can see in the center of the picture, placed under passenger seat, definitely related to exhaust, the cylindric piece has not pass trough hole
Plant Gas Vehicle Auto part Automotive exterior

#7 · (Edited)
The exhaust on my BMW Z3 has a heavy metal and rubber damper part hung off of it that is called a vibration absorber.
The OP's loose part from inside a metal box could be a damper mass that came loose from inside the box in his photo, the whole thing being a vibration absorber assembly.
Here is an enhancement of the OP's photo of his exhaust:
Vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Auto part Automotive tire

#9 ·
The photo shows no hole through the rubber center, and the steel shell is unusually thick and heavy, and is painted.
This rules out that it might be a pressed in rubber mounting bushing. It is mostly likely a damper mass that has come unscrewed and should be easy to put back on.
A vibration absorber would be part of Subaru's effort to reduce noise, vibration and harshness.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.