Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Forester XT 4AT
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Freak storm/flood in Lake Charles, LA. In about 30 seconds ds went from. 6in to couple feet. Never stalled, got to high ground running, trouble idling.
Started next day, ran, wouldn't idle.
3rd day...wouldn't start.
NEVER DROVE after**
Coil packs?
Apprec all advice.
Coil packs 125$ each, and would rather not burn 500$ on a maybe.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
2,509 Posts
Water can cause more than one issue.
As @aleekkat said, you have to find out what's going on before you start throwing solutions at an unknown problem.

If you spray in some starter fluid, and and it won't start, you've got a spark problem.
For that, something you can try is spraying the coil /spark plug connections with electrical contact cleaner.
It will clean up and dry out the connection.

If it does start with starting fluid, you've got a fuel delivery problem that my also be an electrical issue.

·
Registered
2020 CBS Forester Sport
141 Posts
If you didn't kill it going through water, we can rule out hydrolock.

If it ran the next day, chances are it wasn't electrical. I would guess you have contamination. Check all of your fluids.

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
3,088 Posts
Any engine codes?
Have you tried removing the sparkplugs and putting a camera in there?
Does the engine even try and turn over?
Do you hear the fuel pump priming when you switch the key to ON before trying to start ?
Did water get inside the cabin or any signs of damp carpets? - Not sure on yours but the SG had the ECU underneath the passenger side footwell carpet

It's probably safe to say all your fluids are now contaminated as water would have got in via the diff breathers........

·
Registered
2001 Forester L Automatic
396 Posts
Probably wouldn't hurt to go around to every electrical connection you can find in the engine compartment, undo it and blow it out with an air compressor or get yourself a few of those air duster cans to do it.

On one of my last cars I gave the engine a wash after changing out a leaking valve cover gasket. Didn't use high pressure and was careful to avoid electrical items, but it ran like crap after wards. So I went around to every connection I could find to blow it out and it came back to life.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts