Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We found what seems like a decent 2013 with the NA 2.5 PZEV engine and have discovered it to have excessive oil consumption. My son ran it low on oil (about 2 3/4 quarts low) fortunately not low enough for the oil pressure warning light to come on, but I'm pretty sure it's not going to last 25k miles, if that. In fairness my son's prior car (now his sister's) is a 2011 Corolla that never used a drop of oil, so he wasn't on top of it, even though he'd been instructed otherwise (kids these days :) ) We've only had it for around 5k miles, we use full synthetic oil

Is it possible to to just a top end on this engine? I've rebuilt a couple type 4 Porsche 914 engines, as well as a couple Porsche flat 6 engines, and I have a shop dedicated to restoring, repairing, and modifying Porsche 914's. Interestingly enough, putting a Subaru engine in a 914 has gotten a little popular in the past 10 years or so.

My current plan, especially with the COVID19 shut down, is to keep a log of oil consumption and when it gets to a quart every 400 miles, it's time to do something. This is well beyond what I'd consider to be rebuild time, but circumstance is going to keep me from being able to do anything any sooner. Step two is to research engine rebuilding, or a good rebuilder to get a long block from.

I've just joined this group, and know zero about Subarus. My initial though is to go to a little heavier oil, especially with warmer weather approaching.

I'm open to any and all advice, and thank you in advance for any help.

PK

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the reply Bill, it's got around 85k miles. We got it used, are the 3rd owners, and didn't get it from Subaru dealer, so I was doubtful about any warranty claim, and didn't know about the class action suit. Thanks for the link. We really like the vehicle. We should've lurked this board for awhile before getting one.

·
Registered
2011 Forester X Limited, 2007 Impreza Outback Sport SE 5MT
65 Posts
I was not the original owner and had my 2011 done in 2018 with 70k miles, I really think you should contact your dealer, it should be covered

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
1,945 Posts
Thanks for the reply Bill, it's got around 85k miles. We got it used, are the 3rd owners, and didn't get it from Subaru dealer, so I was doubtful about any warranty claim, and didn't know about the class action suit.
Looks to me like you're covered by the class action settlement. Let us know how it goes with Subaru.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so much for the replies. We took it to the dealer and they are doing an oil consumption test on it. My guess is they'll be rebuilding/replacing the engine sometime in the near future

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
As I read the agreement that deadline was for cash reimbursement for those that incurred repair expenses prior to the class action settlement. Otherwise it is 8 years/100k miles from the date the vehicle was entered into service. In addition, anyone that exceeded 100k miles at the time of receiving notice of settlement had one year to file a claim.

·
Registered
2 Posts
@ForesterBill Thanks for that Clarification Forester Bill, I'm at 113 k, Original Owner and bought it in May of 2013 from the Subaru Dealership. If that's the case, I may be out of luck if it's 100k or 8 yrs - whichever comes first ?

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
@ForesterBill Thanks for that Clarification Forester Bill, I'm at 113 k, Original Owner and bought it in May of 2013 from the Subaru Dealership. If that's the case, I may be out of luck if it's 100k or 8 yrs - whichever comes first ?
Yes, whichever comes first so you are out of warranty. However Subaru has been known to make exceptions or offer partial compensation on a case-by-case basis for various problems so you might want to pursue it with SOA Customer Support especially if you have a record of oil consumption prior to 100k miles. However, I would first pursue it through your dealer's service department particularly if you have had the car maintained there over the years. Long shot but worth a try.

·
Subies4Lyf
2011 Forester Limited
17 Posts
Earlier this year I bought a 2012 model also with the 2.5 NA motor. Like you, I am the original owner, but the vehicle only had 42,000 miles on it. with the mileage on it and I know the previous owner in the car history very well so I thought it was a safe bet. After only 10,000 miles of driving a valve spring snap and literally destroy the motor internally.

I realize this is not the same exact problem you mentioned but both the dealer and Subaru of America’s assessment pointed to excessive oil consumption as the root cause. This was positively false in my case since my engine never burned or leaked any oil. Long story short, after much insistence Subaru finally rebuilt the motor at their cost (>$16,000).

It will be important for you to work with the dealer and Subaru America to find an equitable resolution. As Bill mentioned even though you’re out of warranty, Subaru wants to retain customers and not be like Volkswagen.

If you need further information on how to proceed feel free to contact me

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Failed the dealer oil consumption test, and getting a new long block. Dropping it off next week at the dealer in Chattanooga.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts